Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

We added yet another Rover to the stable last week. It's a 95 P38 and within the first day the damn thing went into Engine Disable mode! Hah, got to love it! Any how, I bought this thing to keep stock as an every day driver and I am already itching to mess with it. I have been doing a little digging and came up with a website called www.RockRover.com. He had some decent info on suspension but nothing to detailed. I talked with Steve at RoverTym and he hadn't tweaked with them that much either. I supposed I could always throw some 20's on it. It already has 5 fawking LCD's screens in it. Some damn ganster probably owned it. :smokin: WTF would you need screens in the back headrests? It doesn't even have jump seats...silly bastards, TV's for in the living room.

So here's my question, does anyone out there in PBB land have any hands on experience with lifting one of these heeps? It's already been converted to coil-springs with OME garbage but that's about it. My plan would be to come up with some sort of combination using decent travel Billsteins and Scorpion Racing springs. I want to keep the sway bars for on-road driving [I have a 4.6 to dump into it] because I like the stability. I'm not looking for major height 3" max but would like some decent droop. I got underneath it and the radius arms are bent and I thinking this could cause some issues when trying to correct the castor. Possbily eccentric bushings? And in the rear there doesn't look like much room for fabbed up mounts or even retainers.

Any suggestions?

, Jason

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, we ditched the IROKS for some Q78's and they perform really well. We hope to build the damn diffs and lockers soon. We can't seem to get our shit together move into the new shop and that's slowing things waaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
RedRhinoProducts said:
So here's my question, does anyone out there in PBB land have any hands on experience with lifting one of these heeps?

Any suggestions?
rangerovers.net is a pretty good source for this type of info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 98 P38 that I lifted using defender springs and you are correct the castor angles where all out of wack. I never really addressed the problem as it rode pretty well it was just fairly twitchy at highway speeds. Anyway, I went over some possible solutions to the problem with the guys over at motorcars ltd. http://www.motorcars-ltd.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php there is a guy over there named Gallagher and he knows his stuff, kind of a surly guy but a good guy. He can give you a lot of info about the castor problem but as of now I don’t know anyone that has successfully corrected it all the stuff we went over was theoretical and I ran from my P38 as fast as I could before I corrected the problem.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
ksmeltzer said:
there is a guy over there named Gallagher and he knows his stuff, kind of a surly guy but a good guy.
Gallagher lied through his teeth to try to sell me a Rovacom. I finally caught him in his lie when it got down to the point of doing the wire transfer. Cost them a more than $5000 order...

I wouldn't trust that individual any further than I could throw him.

PT

·
Registered
30 Posts
PTSchram said:
Gallagher lied through his teeth to try to sell me a Rovacom.
PT
I am sorry to hear that, you learn something new about someone everyday. He and Phil as well as the forum users have always been good to me offering free advice on their forum. I can really only comment on my experiences and they have always done me square. Then again I never bought a rovacom from them so my dealings where limited to smaller purchases.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you want some self center back I suggest you fit a TrueTrac in your front axle. I have it front and rear in my P38. They work, and go well with the character of the vehicle with auto and viscous center diff. Not hard core but very capable and also useful for street in the winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i should be buying a 2001 p38 soon. Are they really that unreliable?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fj62CruiserBum said:
The 2001 is a good choice, they have the Bosch system, and the 4 wheel traction control (2000 had all of this in the HSE) along with the pimpn' dual exhaust. Prior to that they were a electrical night mare.

I have a mild 1" lift with the factory air bags in tact. Longer Monroe shocks and Sway bar disconeects is all I did besides the armor. This is a daily driver as well but get to see the "Moderate" trails when the trail truck is down. I still have the ability to lower it to correct the caster when on the road. I have seen a couple of peope lower the mounting brackets for the arms to get things closer, but then you still have the front drive shaft to deal with.

On the code that keeps coming up it sounds as if the former owner did not deal with bypassing the EAS computer. They do make kits to get rid of this error to a point- most of them still will have an error show up once you first start it up. You can do a search and find all kinds of conversion kits by misc companies.

Although some bling 20" blades would be sweeeet and you could be styln' for your beeeetches. Peace out!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Fj62CruiserBum said:
I concur with bwillie

I have a 2001 P38 (my wife's ride). It has been a good vehicle, only real problem has been the normal air suspension stuff.

It has seen some pretty good trail use. Other than changing the tires, it has done amazingly well as a stock vehicle. It has never stranded us on the trail, which is a lot more than I can say for the 110.

·
Registered
986 Posts
bwillie said:
I have a mild 1" lift with the factory air bags in tact. Longer Monroe shocks and Sway bar disconeects is all I did besides the armor.
Bwillie, what model number Monroes are you using?

I want to do a moderate lift to my P38 (without removing EAS) and the shocks are overdue anyway. But I have found it hard to get any information on longer shocks that fit on the P38 without going to bling heim joint shocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts