Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering 36 IROCs for my EB...running 36sx's now....

Anyone running the IROC's got feedback about how fast the tread is wearing. I drive to the Rubicon...about 80 miles...longer runs I trailer...Not a daily driver.

Anyone with feedback on snow. I know these have only been out since April, but I am looking to go on a few snow runs and would like any info that is out there. My SX's sucked last year.

Marlon

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
Your SX's sucked in the snow? WOW, I`ve never heard that and my snow performance was AWESOME! Maybe you were not airing them down enough? They are really stiff and need to be aired down a LOT! I ran my 38.5x14.5 SX's at 2psi in the snow and they took me wherever I wanted to go, and had no problems on side hills where MTRs and BFG MT's made the other rigs slipp off the trail onto the side of a mountain :eek:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 14.5's are 2 inches wider than mine. My EB is pretty heavy and I was in deep snow. I kept digging in when my buddies on wider tires and light vehicles kept moving. Yes I aired down...lost two beads and even spun the rim inside the tire without the tire turning. This is why I am considering a wider tire. The IROC's are wider than 36 sx's but look even wider than their rating of 13.5" wide. The IROC's are cheap at 168.00 per, but what I really want are 16 35 15 boggers. If I can get by with IRoc's I am leaning that way...plus I might not have to add the assist ram with them. I probably would with the boggers. So the boggers are more per and would force me to a ram...$$$ I am poor.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
NOTPRETTY said:
The 14.5's are 2 inches wider than mine. My EB is pretty heavy and I was in deep snow. I kept digging in when my buddies on wider tires and light vehicles kept moving. Yes I aired down...lost two beads and even spun the rim inside the tire without the tire turning. This is why I am considering a wider tire. The IROC's are wider than 36 sx's but look even wider than their rating of 13.5" wide. The IROC's are cheap at 168.00 per, but what I really want are 16 35 15 boggers. If I can get by with IRoc's I am leaning that way...plus I might not have to add the assist ram with them. I probably would with the boggers. So the boggers are more per and would force me to a ram...$$$ I am poor.
From your report I wouldn't say the "SXs" suck in the snow, just the size width you had wasn't wide enough for your application.. :) From other peoples posts on here the IROKs don't last to long when driven on the street.. as in less than teh SX's.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just got a set of 36-13.5x16 IROK's (bias ply) so i'm not expecting many miles out of them but then again my truck isn't a DD. I wanted to go with regular TSL radials but I got a smokin deal on the IROK's off this board. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No...the SX's didn't suck...the combination of the tire and vehicle did. You are correct sir. I love them in the rocks.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Treadwear is about the same, shitty. But that is always the way, soft and sticky or hard and no traction.

Doc on SX's

·
Registered
248 Posts
I went from 38.5 SX's to 39.5 IROKs. I love the new IROKs work great in the big rocks and lose gravel trails with hill climbs. I would say the tread wear is about the same as SX's. Haven't had any trouble with the bead coming off with out beadlocks. I have to air them down to about 3 or 4 before they really start wraping around rocks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a set of 36x13.50r15s on a streched CJ-5. With about 1000 road miles on them, they're not showing any appreciable wear compared to the spare. I have only had a chance to wheel them once and was VERY pleased with them in EC rock/mud/dirt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
wngrog said:
Like all "directional" swampers, they have stupid "scoops" on the lugs that chunk off after the first one or two rock runs.

One run on mine and the scoops on the lugs are already chunking off.
Nolen, could you post a pic? I'd like to see how bad it is.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I will post a pic after this weekend's run. The last (only) place I have wheeled them is in Katemcy TX and that place is the worst I have ever seen on tires. Solid rough granite.

Let me give them a normal shake this weekend and see how they hold up.

Basically it is the same a Boggers do after the first couple times on the rocks. The large lugs will be round very quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts