Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a noob here and I was wanting some opinions on fender flares. Which would be better to go with? Looking at Bushwackers, or Rusty's, but open to suggestions of others.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've had a bad experience with bushwackers. I had mine on for about 2 years and they were a pain. They made my jeep look like a Fisher-Price playhouse. They would catch and get ripped off on everything they touched. The fit was horrible, and the cost was outragious. If your interested though I have an extremely used set for cheap.
I've heard the Rusty's flairs are fiberglass but I've never seen or had hands on experience.
If you need to cover your tires(state laws:() I would suggest the Jeepspeed pre-runner style fenders with Rusty's rears.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Tj flares are pretty tough.
But everyone is gonna bust yer balls & say they look like sheeiaat!::laughing:
I know this because they are on my heep!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tj flares are pretty tough.
But everyone is gonna bust yer balls & say they look like sheeiaat!::laughing:
I know this because they are on my heep!:flipoff2:

TJ flairs are a good choice and I think they look good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea, my hubby likes that idea too. I'm not quite diggin on them yet. But the price is right and they will grow on me, maybe time to start shopping for those. Here's what they would be going on, pretty mild compared to what I've seen here!

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Hi, I'm a noob here and I was wanting some opinions on fender flares. Which would be better to go with? Looking at Bushwackers, or Rusty's, but open to suggestions of others.
I got a set of stock 1995 YJ flares you can have for $5 plus shipping.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
I was kidding about the $5 I just got some 7" wide ones You can have the originals off my jeep for the shipping.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know YJ ones would work as well. They big enough? I'll have to talk to hubby about it first.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you could re use your stock ones. at least in the front. take them off, set them up on the fender with some tape, include the amount you want to cut and mark it. then cut about an inch or two bellow the mark that you made on the top of the fender flair and re drill mounting holes in the fender. stock appearance and its free. if you search or pm 53guy on here and on NAXJA.org there is a good write up he did on the fronts.

edit:

heres his write up on NAXJA
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87959

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that link. I'm going to hope it's easier than it seems? We'll keep it as a possibility anyway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Here is what I did about 5 years ago with 3.5" of lift and 33" tires.

Side view

Filled gap

Fender liner

Rear

Fender trim write-up

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Another Rausch Creeker, eh?

I did the TJ flares on mine as well:

I like 'em OK, they've survived a few flops and crushes with trees without issue. They also give a pretty big fender opening without looking excessively cut-out IMO.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The rear cut/stretch I did 2 years ago with rear MJ flares, 5" of lift and 33" tires. Front flares will also work well on the rear if reversed.

36" tires stuff with room to spare.

I'm in the process of raising my front flares 3" more to the next(top) body line. I'm also relocating the battery, airbox, computer and reworking the wheelwheel for maximum room.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rear cut/stretch I did 2 years ago with rear MJ flares, 5" of lift and 33" tires. Front flares will also work well on the rear if reversed.

36" tires stuff with room to spare.

I'm in the process of raising my front flares 3" more to the next(top) body line. I'm also relocating the battery, airbox, computer and reworking the wheelwheel for maximum room.
What year is your XJ and what color is that? Looks like mine and it's a rare thing to see another one. Thought I was seeing pics of mine at first! LOL We will probably end up doing the TJ flares too. Thanks everybody!:)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I vote TJ flares as well. Cheap and easy to replace if you destroy one. I got mine free when I bought the wife Bushwackers for her TJ.

I like the TJ rear flares on the front and rear. I'm not a big fan of the front ones on a XJ. I have been able to get as much if not more room with stock flares.

I might wind up with some wide rear TJ flares on all 4 corners to stay legal with my soon to change axle width.:shaking: I just picked up a complete HP D60 DRW and a complete 14 bolt rear axle for $500.00 so my build plans have changed again...:D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What year is your XJ and what color is that? Looks like mine and it's a rare thing to see another one. Thought I was seeing pics of mine at first! LOL We will probably end up doing the TJ flares too. Thanks everybody!:)
It's a '95 and I think the color is called pearlstone or something like that...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts