Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have done NON structural tubing fenders and tubed the rear, what size and wall thickness did you use for your tubing for these areas.

Everything on the truck which is structural is 2" x .120, but i have access to some 2" x .065 which is cheaper.

The 2" x .065 will be for the fenders only.

Thoughts?

Tim.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I would use something like 1.5" Just cause I think it would look better and be cheaper. Also consider if your fenders are going to have to put up with tire rubbing or being laid into obsticles, if you answered yes to either of these get something fairly beefy

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
make them beefy so you can use them as nerfs. 2 x .120

·
Registered
423 Posts
I made mine out of 1.5"x.120. They hold up pretty well to me dragging them on the rocks, but I've still got some dings in them. I think that .065 would get messed up in a hurry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We plan on doing semi-structural Jeep front fenders out of 1.250" X .120" wall. This seems to be a good size appearance wise and should give reasonable protection - 1.5" X .120 wall would be a good choice also but I don't have that die set yet.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
you can't bend the 2 x .065 with the JD2 or protools benders it will kink. It also will get mashed on the rocks pretty easily. I would use 1.25 or 1.5 .120 wall.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
EricFJ40 said:
I made mine out of 1.5"x.120. They hold up pretty well to me dragging them on the rocks, but I've still got some dings in them. I think that .065 would get messed up in a hurry.
Eric -

I just started on a project like this - did you 'tube edge' your Cruiser fenders? any pics?

Jim

·
Registered
423 Posts
TLCObsession said:

Eric -

I just started on a project like this - did you 'tube edge' your Cruiser fenders? any pics?

Jim
Actually I built all new fenders with shock hoops built into them and then covered them with 16ga. sheet metal. I originally tried to use the stock fender skins, but it wound up being easier to use new sheet metal. I also built them so they were about three and a half inches higher than stock.

Sorry I don't have any pictures right now, but if you'd like some I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Eric -

Please see what you can do. I am about to embark on this project and would be very interested in what you did.

3" higher - did you eliminate the aprons? Did you re-use the fender support or inners?

Please do what you can for a pic or 5...

TIA

Jim

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I to am about to make some tubing fenders for my heep. Do u guys suggest cutting off everything from the hood out and leave the inner fenders or completly scrap the stock fenders and make some new ones? I was more leaning towards cutting the stock fenders but i really like the idea of an intergrated shock mount to the inner fender. Any ideas and opions are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
I completely scrapped my stock fenders. I actually have no inner fender at all, but since I mainly wheel in rocks and snow it's not a problem and it helps to keep the motor cool. For my fender skirts I took the stock peices and cut them to fit the new fenders and then welded them on.

I'm going to borrow a digi-cam this week so I'll post pics if I can figure out how (I'm kinda a computer dumb-ass:confused: )

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Eric -

Looks great ! You may be a computer dumbass :flipoff2: , but your tubing fender rock!

Thanks for posting - Guess I need to buy the 1.5" dies now....

Did you keep any measurements (aka a bend card)?

Jim:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts