Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few more pics of the spring over (by Jeff Ismail) and the 36x12.50 TSL's. We decided to keep the 3" bodylift and replaced the 4" superlift springs with stock springs. As you can see in the pics, there is plenty of room for the 36's. Next project will be dutchman axles for the front 44 and a 60 for the rear, but that will have to wait for some more money to grow on the tree in the backyard:shaking:

Scout stats are now: AMC 258, 727, Scout Dana 300 Tera Low, Dana 44's 4:88's, Spool in the rear, Powerloc in the front, SOA, Reverse Shackle, 36x12.50 TSL's on 15x10 Rock Krawler Series 91 rims.

Now that license plate I had on my old T'all doesn't look so out of place on the Scout:D

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
One of the few vehicles that does look great in yellow. Nice. :)
Still just a little too tall for my taste, but looks great though.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yes.... it does look good, but I have to agree that it you plan to do any medium to serious wheelin' with it that it's too tall. It will lean over into trees, etc. very easily and will feel quite tippy the off camber stuff. I have to address these issues on my rig as well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Mechanos said:
Yes.... it does look good, but I have to agree that it you plan to do any medium to serious wheelin' with it that it's too tall. It will lean over into trees, etc. very easily and will feel quite tippy the off camber stuff. I have to address these issues on my rig as well.
No shite, your springs are like slinkys! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know it Reuben, I will be there. Can't wait to actually use it.

As for the hieght what is a better setup? SOA, stock springs, no body, 37" tires and cutting the hell out of the fenders? Even with full size axles, your going to be hitting sheet metal with that setup. Link setup is nice but way to much fabrication, for what I plan to use the rig for.

Thanks for the good words :smokin:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Scouty said:
As for the hieght what is a better setup? SOA, stock springs, no body, 37" tires and cutting the hell out of the fenders? Even with full size axles, your going to be hitting sheet metal with that setup.

Thanks for the good words :smokin:
bump stops to limit up travel and flat springs

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Snoopy said:
Mech, if anyone knows, its you ~ springs settle in!

Speaking of which, how much flex is that? You didn't start pulling the rear tires off the ground did ya?
Yeah... I know they do. Especially Crapjacker SoftRides. :flipoff2:

However, there is 5-6" of SOA and another 3" of BL. That's 8"-9" of lift that won't "settle in". You raise all of the sprung weight by that much and do very little (yeah, you used more backspacing and wider tires) to increase the track width and it's going to negatively affect the handling characteristics. I'm not saying that the rig is totally unusable.... I've taken mine many places. I'm just saying don't be surprised if you find your asshole growing fingers and trying to hold on to the seat and don't be surprised if you find your rig on it's side or top well before you "thought" it would go over. Granted, there is less weight up there with the cabtop vs. the travel top I have.

Again, I'm not badmouthing the truck..... it's a sharp nice looking ride, but I think it's going to share several undesireable handling characteristics that mine does.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mechanos said:
Again, I'm not badmouthing the truck..... it's a sharp nice looking ride, but I think it's going to share several undesireable handling characteristics that mine does.
Mech, I hear what you are saying, but what is a better setup without cutting fenders or going to links? Pretty much all the decent trails out here require a tire 35 or bigger, so how would you fit a tire that size under a rig with flat spings on a SOA without beating the body? Full-size axles would widen the stance providing a better COG, but without adding lift, the fenders would still be taking a beating...right? :confused:

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Scouty said:
Mech, I hear what you are saying, but what is a better setup without cutting fenders or going to links? Pretty much all the decent trails out here require a tire 35 or bigger, so how would you fit a tire that size under a rig with flat spings on a SOA without beating the body? Full-size axles would widen the stance providing a better COG, but without adding lift, the fenders would still be taking a beating...right? :confused:
I can sympathise with you on not cutting up the rig, it is really nice. The other evil is it will look a whole lot worse if you flop it. One thing I have noticed with these Scouts it is important to work, hard, to get the CG down. It does make a big difference. This last time around I lowered my engine center-line down another 2" and another 1" setback. Put it to you this way, my Wife noticed how the rig was more stable in off camber wheeling. I get off camber a lot. :)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Scouty said:
That's the catch 22. You pretty much can't lower the COG and still run that size rubber without cutting the fenders or lowering the drivetrain like Shadowman mentioned. I don't blame you for not wanting to cut the fenders... it's a nice rig. Almost too nice, actually, because after traveling down a few of those trails that require 35's... it's not going to look so nice anymore. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Maybe after you've bounced off a few rocks & trees and have it beat up, it won't hurt so much to cut the sheetmetal. IMO, really nice Scouts make nice street rigs.... rusty beater make good trail rigs 'cause you're just gonna beat the shit out of them anyway. YMMV

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
you will be fine for what you are going to do.especially in hollister. i run my scout SOA with 4" leaves and 2" body and never flopped it. just be careful of the line you are taking.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
reuben said:
you will be fine for what you are going to do.especially in hollister. i run my scout SOA with 4" leaves and 2" body and never flopped it. just be careful of the line you are taking.

Yeah...but look at your rig now...:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

You "should" be ok...if I remember right you have some ok gearing...This, and your brakes will help you from going "to far".

That is one sweet ass rig too my friend...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts