Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here are a few pics of my 1.6 VW turbo deisel matted to a yota trans. i spent the better part of the past 2 days making the mounts. ive been waiting almost ayear to get to this point. not far now. enjoy

YouTube - Toyota 4x4 Trail Rig Build Pictures Diesel VW

mocking up were the mounts will go

the roughed out frame mounts cut from 1/4".

the engine mounts. i used a generic 2" dia. mount kit from mountain offroad. includes the tubes, bushings, and bolts for 11.00 a side. not bad.

mounted

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah. that crap smells and im not going begging for used fryer oil from mcdonalds. lol

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Did you design/make the tranny/engine adapter? Nice clean install, very professional. The only thing that detracted me on the install was the square edges where the MM bolt to the engine; I would have put a radius on those corners. Looks great and keep us in the loop, especially when you get it on the trail.

P.S. Mickey D’s will not give you their fry oil, they recycle it.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The engine looks to be pretty far back. I bring that up because I assume you're going to be using that cab in the background?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Super clean. What's the deal on engine/tranny mating?

You can buy bio diesel, you don't have to make it. Now running pure WVO would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
very clean, looks like you are putting some effort into it. what's the expected torque and hp?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Whose adapter are you using?
And how far did you move the springs forward.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the good feedback guys. the engine is a 1.6 td, mechanical motor with hyd lifters. so only maybe 4 or 5 wires to make it run , and i dont need a fuel system. its very simple.
its out of an 87 jetta. i drove about 200 miles to find it. the engine was in someone old guys yard in the back of a pickup truck next to the jetta which was rearended by a tractor trailer.needless to say after draggin the engine 100 yds to the truck on a bug hood in the mud with a tractor it was totally trashed. i rebuilt the whole thing from top to bottom.. had the cylinders bored, os pistons, rebuilt the head and turbo, all the parts on it are powdercoated yadda yadda...its like new through out.
i bought the adapter from Acme. the price was a bit high but when i purchased it there was one other guy who had attempted this conversion in the US and had not finished it. so i may be the only one who has made it this far. with the exception of the guy who made the adapter plate. i think there is another company making them now. dont know the name, look on ebay.
the hp and torque is not much. stock i think these turn out maybe 70 hp, but i was looking to do something different and this is a trail rig only so speed is not an issue. i really wanted a diesel and had no interest in the toyotas for a couple of reasons. i have seen the samurai guys do this and thats how i found out about this kit. acme does alot of sam stuff.

oops, i had thought about the edges but was so excited about getting it together to see what it looks like i sort of passed up that part. but on the driver side i may have to trim the plate back a bit to make room for the water pump hoses.

lowtorious..the trans is in the stock location. the engine sits exactly where the 22re sat. its just a bit shorter up front. maybe room for an 8 core radiator or something..... :flipoff2:

the only obsticles i have left which will be tough are mounting my alternator, i bought a gm 100 amp one wire, and my gm sag pwr steering pump. the alt bracket on the motor is on the driver side which is where i should put the pump and vise versa. i havent got to that point yet.. thats tomorrow. ill keep pictures coming. thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Very nice work.

Interesting, I saw an 89 VW 1.6 diesel Jetta in the paper the other day for $450...

·
Registered
872 Posts
Is the engine lighter than a 22RE? It looks smaller just by sheer displacemnent, but I know diesels are heavy.

How much torque does it make?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
lowtorious..the trans is in the stock location. the engine sits exactly where the 22re sat. its just a bit shorter up front. maybe room for an 8 core radiator or something.....
stick an intercooler in there!

I am glad to see someone doing this! I picked up a 1.6TD for $250 and was going to stick it in my sami but not sure I want to lose the auto trans and dual cases. I have an '89 pickup I was thinking of dropping it into. Its a great engine and you can get alot of power out of them (and yes, they are alot lighter than the 22r). You can get the adapters HERE. There is a samurai message board HERE that is kinda new but has some good info. Keep us updated, I am dying to know how this engine performs in a Toyota.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
I'm really liking the motor mounts. VERY clean and VERY stout looking. Good job.

Now, as to the motor, that thing looks tiny . :eek:
Do you know the dimensions and weight of it compared to the stocker ?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts