Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ordered a 2013 SCrew Ecoboost, 6 1/2' bed. Ordered, not being built yet... still waiting.

I will be driving this sparingly (live close to work, wife is even closer)
but it will be the sole towing vehicle for my rig when I get it completed.

Buggied XJ = around 5000lbs w/tools, spare parts/tire, etc etc.
Trailer = not sure as haven't bought one yet, probably 2000lbs give or take.

I got 3.55 gears which allow for a 9100lbs max tow, GCWR of 15200lbs.
If I changed it to 3.73 gears, I could step up to 11300lbs max tow and GCWR of 17100lbs.

For the most part this is going to tow only about 10-15% of it's mileage.
I feel confident that 3.55 gears will serve my purpose, but for those with experience or knowledge, would I benefit much from going to 3.73 gears?

Also, on another note, I am looking at tonneau covers, and feel the "extang solid fold tonneau cover" will fit my needs (easy install, nothing left behind when removed, strong enough to deal with snow piled on it over winter up here.
I don't want any fabric, and I want it to be somewhat secure... any thoughts, advice on this topic also?

thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
all the guys at my new office have the rollnlock or whatever it's called. Everyone at my old office just had really nice weatherguard toolboxes we kept stuff in. I can fit 4 large suitcases in my weatherguard.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I would want 3.73 gears, even if just for that little extra. I bet the mileage difference is negligible except for long cruises unloaded on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would want 3.73 gears, even if just for that little extra. I bet the mileage difference is negligible except for long cruises unloaded on the freeway.
well for the most part that's where the majority of the mileage will come from. 3hour road trips to see family, kids/clothes/toys/dog stuff for a "load"

I'm not concerned with dragstrip performance of the 3.73's -vs- the 3.55's. I'd rather cruise at lower RPM's on the high way (even if it's only 300-500rpm's or so less).

I have done quite a bit of reading, I am pretty sure I will be ok with the 3.55's...
but a buddy with a 2010 Dodge 5.7 clubcab is borderline towing his rig, I don't want the same worries.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 3.55's sound fine for what you're trying to do, but the 3.73's will make life easier when towing, which is what you want to do. If you are absolutely 100% positively sure you will not need to tow more than what you stated then go for it.

But I'm a believer in having more truck than necessary for the job. Since you're ordering a brand new EcoBoost why don't you go ahead and get the gears and have the better payload rating? I'm sure the differences are more than just gears when you step up to the 11.3k towing rating

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'd get the 3.73's hands down, hell if 4.10s were available I'd get those. If it's going to be used as a truck, towing, hauling etc... 3.73s.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
On gas engines, especially with automatics, I would always do as low of gears as possible. Better mileage and less strain on the occasional tow, better mileage in stop and go, better mileage in non interstate driving, tall gears are fine for big power light weight vehicles, (although the stock gearing sucks in my 150 hp Ducati, 6th is too tall at any legal speed). Plus if you ever want to go up a size on tires, 3.73s would be the same as 3.55s are with stock tires.

I had the 5.7 Hemi in '11 Ram. Sopposedly more power than my big block chevy. WIth 3.55s it wouldn't get out of its own way, empty, if it was flat, perfectly calm and cruise set at 75 mph, I could get 20 mpg. However any hills, traffic or wind and I was shifting into 3rd, 4th and 5 th all the time. Best mileage on hilly or windy days was in 5th with 6th locked out.

Just my expereince. I have two pickups with stock 4.10s in my garage and my motorcycles have all been geared down.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you had your question answered before you asked it.
you would have thought that reading my posts.... but

The 3.55's sound fine for what you're trying to do, but the 3.73's will make life easier when towing, which is what you want to do. If you are absolutely 100% positively sure you will not need to tow more than what you stated then go for it.

But I'm a believer in having more truck than necessary for the job. Since you're ordering a brand new EcoBoost why don't you go ahead and get the gears and have the better payload rating? I'm sure the differences are more than just gears when you step up to the 11.3k towing rating
While I was certain 3.55 would "work" just fine for me, the math also made it apparent the RPM's at cruising speeds would hardly be that different.
70mph with stock tires the math shows (not my math, I suck at it):
3.73 = 1889rpm
3.55 = 1801rpm

So... after much Hmm and Hawing, I made the call today and changed the gearing to 3.73. As said, better to have more truck than needed.

Now to get the wifes input on the tonneau cover...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd get the 3.73's hands down, hell if 4.10s were available I'd get those. If it's going to be used as a truck, towing, hauling etc... 3.73s.
On gas engines, especially with automatics, I would always do as low of gears as possible. Less strain on the occasional tow, better mileage in stop and go, better mileage in non interstate driving, tall gears are fine for big power light weight vehicles, (although the stock gearing sucks in my 150 hp Ducati, 6th is too tall at any legal speed).

I had the 5.7 Hemi in '11 Ram. Sopposedly more power than my big block chevy. WIth 3.55s it wouldn't get out of its own way, towing if it was flat, perfectly calm and cruise set at 75 mph, I could get 20 mpg. However any hills, traffic or wind and I was shifting into 3rd, 4th and 5 th all the time. Best mileage on hilly or windy days was in 5th with 6th locked out.

Just my expereince. I have two pickups with stock 4.10s in my garage and my motorcycles have all been geared down.

yep, change has been made... first time new vehicle buyers jitters... that should be the last change made.

·
Registered
141 Posts
you would have thought that reading my posts.... but

While I was certain 3.55 would "work" just fine for me, the math also made it apparent the RPM's at cruising speeds would hardly be that different.
70mph with stock tires the math shows (not my math, I suck at it):
3.73 = 1889rpm
3.55 = 1801rpm

So... after much Hmm and Hawing, I made the call today and changed the gearing to 3.73. As said, better to have more truck than needed.

Now to get the wifes input on the tonneau cover...

Cool man, I knew the RPMs couldn't be that far apart, and for the payload increase you get its def a win. I hear they are great trucks, wish I could get myself one. I think getting your wifes input is gonna be the best idea for the tonneau since those are personal taste. I have a cap on my F150 and my gf hates it, says it looks like an old man truck. But who's stuff was sitting in the bed when it was raining and we were moving into our house :flipoff2: My truck my rules haha

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Personally I think tonneau covers are less useful than the open box. The roll n lock for that truck is close to $1000 and a Raider Saratoga cannopy is only a couple hundred more. Most of the guys at work had tonneau covers and eventually changed to a canopy.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool man, I knew the RPMs couldn't be that far apart, and for the payload increase you get its def a win. I hear they are great trucks, wish I could get myself one. I think getting your wifes input is gonna be the best idea for the tonneau since those are personal taste. I have a cap on my F150 and my gf hates it, says it looks like an old man truck. But who's stuff was sitting in the bed when it was raining and we were moving into our house :flipoff2: My truck my rules haha
well the wife's input is to pick between the BakFlip Fibremax or the Extang Solid Fold. Bakflip sits flush with the top of the bed rails, looks clean, but can not be easily removed if I want it gone for whatever reason. it does fold up completely, but then it blocks the rear window. It also requires drilling drainage holes for plastic tubing to run into on each side of the bed near the cab... also not appealing to me.
Extang sits ON the bed rails, so the look isn't as clean, but it can be totally removed in minutes and stowed in bed, or under rear seat (SuperCrew).
I prefer the Extang for the quick install/removal... but the Bakflip looks cleaner.

that's where the wife will be the deciding factor.

Personally I think tonneau covers are less useful than the open box. The roll n lock for that truck is close to $1000 and a Raider Saratoga cannopy is only a couple hundred more. Most of the guys at work had tonneau covers and eventually changed to a canopy.
I've never owned a truck before, and I may find this down the road too (re tonneau cover). I don't want a cab, I know that. For the most part I want to be able to toss stuff in the bed without the elements getting directly at them. I know none are waterproof, but the better ones seem to be very very resistent, which is good enough for me. Security is another bonus, of course they can all be "broken into" but it should keep the good thiefs away...

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I wouldn't let the wife decide the tonneau based on looks. If she chooses the one that is hard to take off, you will curse her every time you need to remove it or when it starts to rust around the holes you had to drill. Get the one that makes sense to own.
Travis..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't let the wife decide the tonneau based on looks. If she chooses the one that is hard to take off, you will curse her every time you need to remove it or when it starts to rust around the holes you had to drill. Get the one that makes sense to own.
Travis..
ha, no worries there, the decision won't be made on looks alone.

I showed here both on the weeb here, and she quickly said "that one" to the Bakflip because it looked nice, then when I showed her it flips up covering the rear window, and you have to drill drain holes for it, and can't be quickly and completely removed... she quickly realized looks aren't important.

after explaining the Extang, she appreciated the pro's of it as opposed to the Bakflip.

we both like the looks of the Bakflip, but appreciate the versatility and simplicity of the Extang more.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you looked at the access roll up cover?

Access Original Features
no, only because I want a hard cover. fabric tends to stretch/shrink with the temps, and up here takes a real beating in the winter.
I've seen some that were taken off during the day, and didn't fit properly at night after it had cooled down quite a bit.

spent sometime today looking over an installed BakFlip G2, my buddy really likes it. Looks aside, no leaks, and no problem being folded up restricting view as only time it was folded up you couldn't see out the back anyway with what was being carried. Says he has never had a need to remove it completely, after 3 years, helping friends move, countless wheeling trips, etc.

Hmmmmm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts