Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked for hours on hear so I don`t need and :flipoff2:

I`m looking at try to do a d60 rear with FF and I was wundering if there are any locking hubs that well bolt onto the FF hubs or well I have to use D60 front hubs and make spindles for them?

or if that does not work, do to breaking hubs I can make drive flanges and run them.

the thought is I`m a cheep :flipoff2: and don`t want to spend the $300 on dutchman axles and even then if I do blow one I`m stuck geting a nother one made ....

why not just pick up a chunk of 4340 and make my own axles.
I did it in the past with D44 and it worked great.. But this time its bigger rubber and I dont now if the hubs well hold up to 38+ running 7.17 gears and a t19 wide?

P.S. what the ? is

is there and external hubs that well bolt to a D60 rear hub?
and if this has been done before ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i belive sandy cone makes the parts you are looking for. if you are cheap like you claim don't bother calling.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheap

its not so mutch the being cheap ,,, its that why spend $$$ when you have a full machine and welding shop to play in...... ever see how fast a 20 HP cnc lathe can blank out a axle,,,, try under 2 min a end,,, but splining is slow might take 4 min to do that part .....

That and I don`t like building my heep out of the 4x4 shop.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Bearing size and spacing is the same on the front 60 as it is on the GM 14-bolt. GM 60 hubs swap onto 14-bolt spindles, and let you run hubs.
Not sure about a seal interchange on the back side, tho.
Also not sure about the interchange between 14 bolt, 60, and 70 spindles. I didn't have a stripped-down rear 60 to play with, or a 70 at all.
As for wheel flange location... hellifiknow. I just checked the bearing stuff. :)

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Re: cheap

d.d.machine said:
its not so mutch the being cheap ,,, its that why spend $$$ when you have a full machine and welding shop to play in...... ever see how fast a 20 HP cnc lathe can blank out a axle,,,, try under 2 min a end,,, but splining is slow might take 4 min to do that part .....

That and I don`t like building my heep out of the 4x4 shop.
Well, IMO you should think about doing a little value analysis on what you are about to do. In the time that you think it would take you to figure out how to make the parts, do you think you could make the same amount of money doing your day job? This is, of course unless you make axle and drivetrain parts for a living. If this is he case then disregard this whole message. In respond to the drive gear comment...... check the vendors fourm. One more thing; if you think you can just get a piece of 4340 and throw it on the gear hob and call it good, your wrong. There is just a little bit more to it than that, that is of course if you want the axles to be made correctly.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PIG

yes pig I now there is more to it than just splining a chunk of 4340 and calling it good.... I have been doing D44 this was for about 17 years ,,,, thats the one good part about being next to boeing, we have GREAT heat treaters in the area.

P.S. thanks for the info on the 14 bolt hubs ,, I just got back from my local DRUNK yard and walked past about 10+ 14 bolts to get to the D70 and D60 with power lock,,,, had to give them a 12 pack of red dog and a half pack of smokes ..... :flipoff2:

going back up tue to pick up 3 D60 FF and a D60 35 spline out of a van ,,,, so well I`m there I well see if they well throw in some 14 outers .... just hop the truck load does not cost me over $100
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts