Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In GOD we trust. USA
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would someone want to obtain an ffl?

Is there money to be made or is this more for personal use reasons or to help out the gun community in general?

What kind of people does an ffl deal with?

Scum buckets or people of good moral character (I think I know the answer but I'd prefer to read it in black and white here for confirmation).

Thanks for any and all replies. :D

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
Lots of variables there.

I don't sell guns or assorted crap. I do some transfers. I do lots of repair work and custom work.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Is there money to be made or is this more for personal use reasons or to help out the gun community in general?

Scum buckets or people of good moral character (I think I know the answer but I'd prefer to read it in black and white here for confirmation).

I enjoy the "collecting" aspect of C&R's... however, I can't privately afford to have an expansive collection. As an 01, I've had several different old rifles pass through my hands. It gives me an opportunity to research the rifles, then pass them on to someone who really appreciates them.

You can't obtain an FFL for personal gain- meaning you can't use it only to acquire firearms for your own collection.

There is certainly money to be made. I can make as much money as I want to (within reason), provided that I want to work hard.

It is difficult to be an extremely small-time operation though. "Dealer price" flat out sucks for the little guy. I can forget about trying to sell AK's. I can buy them cheaper retail than I can get them from a distributor/importer.

People: I deal primarily with collectors. Most collectors are like most of the people here in the OSR- generally good, honest people. I've been through hell and back with a group of Romanian SKS serial-number chasers here lately though.

You'll always get people that try to skirt the law. I get a lot of CA people that think CA law trumps federal law, since CA has peculiar laws governing what is considered a "firearm" due to age. The CA state law is looser with respect to federal law.

The shittiest people to deal with, are the people you know. I have 3 long guns sitting in the safe that were "sure things" for people I know well. Then there's the "friends of friends", bosses, etc. that will waste your time farming up quotes that go no where.

If it's something you want to do, go for it. As a kitchen table/internet FFL, it's easy enough to at least break even if you're not hugely successful.

Being in CA, there might be a whole shitload of opportunity for you though...

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts

I got mine because I missed being in the gun business and couldn't afford the pay cut that would come with working full time in someone else's gunshop. I do have plans to grow in the future.

You can make money at it, but there is a good bit of competition (in my area). I keep my prices to a minimum to attract business. Your vendors will be limited without a storefront as are you options for merchant services.

I deal with everyday folks who want to buy guns. I'd guess 75% of them are TXCHL holders. I have had a few weird folks, but there is no avoiding them. Straw purchases are going to hit larger shops (Academy, Gander Mtn, Cabelas, etc) and try to sneak through due to the volume of sales those folks do.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
I like to tinker. The 07 lets me fool around with a bunch of stuff, legally, without having to pay for a bunch of tax stamps or what ever

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
I like to tinker. The 07 lets me fool around with a bunch of stuff, legally, without having to pay for a bunch of tax stamps or what ever
And shoot guns I would never buy. Also lets me test drive guns I thought for sure I'd want until I got to handle them. It always surprises me when I find one that I really dislike

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My 03 FFL (Collectable and Relic) was cheap and easy to get. Makes purchases of C&R guns pretty painless. And I get some nice discounts on parts and supplies from a variety of online retailers. Easily pays for itself just with the discounts.

I've considered getting an 01. I would probably use it mostly to help out folks looking for a reasonable transfer fee. I have a friend who has one and he shows me catalogs from a couple of big wholesale outfits. Most of the prices are no better than I can get by doing some smart shopping on my own. They periodically run special sales and clearance deals that can be very good. I think between the minor income from transfers/sales and an occasional discount or fall-in-my-lap good deal, I could probably pay for the license.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
My 03 FFL (Collectable and Relic) was cheap and easy to get. Makes purchases of C&R guns pretty painless. And I get some nice discounts on parts and supplies from a variety of online retailers. Easily pays for itself just with the discounts.

I've considered getting an 01. I would probably use it mostly to help out folks looking for a reasonable transfer fee. I have a friend who has one and he shows me catalogs from a couple of big wholesale outfits. Most of the prices are no better than I can get by doing some smart shopping on my own. They periodically run special sales and clearance deals that can be very good. I think between the minor income from transfers/sales and an occasional discount or fall-in-my-lap good deal, I could probably pay for the license.
Very true words here.

Transfers can be a hassle sometimes if you are working from home as a side job. Most folks are pretty laid back and will work with you to schedule a time, but there are a few who track the package every second and know exactly when it has arrived and will call and immediately want to pick it up.

I had one guy who absolutely had to have his rifle for the weekend, but couldn't work coming to get it into his schedule. I was sent out of town for work on short notice, so to be nice, I transferred his rifle to a dealer down the street so he could pick it up there. When I followed up with the customer the next week, he hadn't been out to shoot it yet. :shaking:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I enjoy having my ffl. I do it as a part time, appointment only kind of gig. I watch my distributors for great sales. I wheel and deal as a hobby to support my shooting habits. When I get some used stuff in, I usually send a few rounds through it for shots and giggles. I enjoy buying at wholesale for myself and my buddies do too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts