Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the good,the bad,and the ugly of swapping a fiberglass body for a rust bucket?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
me personally I wouldn't trade bendable metal for breakable fiberglass. My Jeep body is bad enough like it is, if it were fiberglass it'd be a total loss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am starting to regret getting my 'glass tub for the same reason that Tornado said. Fiberglass cracks and breaks. I sat on the edge of the rear of my rub, and it developed lots of cracks in it, and I weight 150 pounds. If you bash it on a rock, the whole tub could be done for. I wish I had a steel or aluminum tub now. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
if your body's not too shot, just do a frame off and POR15 it.

it'd involve about the same amount of effort as a fiberglass switch.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
click this here

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I was afraid the fiberglass would break but you never know.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If it's a CJ-7 then pick up a used YJ tub. Much cheaper than any aftermarket fiberglass or steel option, it's better metal (coated anyway) than the CJ tubs had, and dimensionally identical to a CJ-7. Not a 100% bolt-on swap but damn close and well worth it. Ballpark for a YJ tub should be around $500.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by Eric Ruhl:
[QB]If it's a CJ-7 then pick up a used YJ tub.

I agree with Eric. I'm picking up a YJ tub on Monday, and hopefully swapping it on in the next couple of weeks. Cost of a YJ tub will run you anywhere between $600 and $1450. Keep an eye on the For Sale section, as well as Ebay. I picked a clean one up for just under $600, where as the local Rust Free dealer wanted over $1300 for one in need of "TLC".
There's lots of info and write up's on the YJ swap on the web, do a search. If that's to much work, e-mail me and I'll forward you the links.

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Medic ]

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I hac a fiberglass windshield and it sucked> I am sure that a tub would be worse.

I saw kevlar tubs for sale, I thought that was cool but the YJ tub sounds like the ticket.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Go aluminum if you have the $ It'll last forever and you can still ground to it, Even YJ tubs will rust out eventually. they're 160 lbs lighter and way cooler when polished. I'm going to try to get one next spring. and they're way cheaper in Canada

1 - 12 of 12 Posts