Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
great. now all the straight piped fuckwads will be even more annoying.
:laughing:

I like it. Anyone that's driven both can attest that an exhaust brake is a half-assed substitute. Nice to see something like this hitting the market. Though I expect it to cost more than that truck in the vid was worth.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
:laughing:

I like it. Anyone that's driven both can attest that an exhaust brake is a half-assed substitute. Nice to see something like this hitting the market. Though I expect it to cost more than that truck in the vid was worth.
Don't get me wrong, looks cool as hell. but I'm betting only a tiny percentage would be used the way they're meant to be.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
might actually be nice if your running heavy. I've heard good things about the Cummins exhaust brake. A friend has it on his 2011 and pulling his 12K lb toy hauler it actually slows it well without the use of service brakes.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Do want... price depending :laughing:

Looks like they only have it figured out for 12v VE pumps right now.

Looking forward to seeing what a 12v P pump set up with cost.

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
It's true, but I like the idea.
Until one of them comesarollin da coals son down your quiet street.Den he be bustin out da jake brake inchit to get da tention while he be rolling on 26es bra:shaking:
Class A's will benifit the most from this.

What all has to be beefed up from stock on the valvetrain for this mod to be worthwhile?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That's awesome, I would have bought one in a heartbeat back when I was hauling in the mountains with my 12 valve.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I'm kinda interested in how they did it.

Only jakes I've seen use the fuel injector rocker arm, or the exhaust rocker on the companion cylinder to actuate the exhaust valve.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm kinda interested in how they did it.

Only jakes I've seen use the fuel injector rocker arm, or the exhaust rocker on the companion cylinder to actuate the exhaust valve.
I'm interested to see how they did it as well.

I think the Pacbrake engine brake for the 6.7 ISB's uses an all new upper and lower valve cover assembly that mounts the solenoids and appears to use the VGT turbo as part of the control and actuation of the engine brake. This 12V brake is clearly not doing that.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I'm interested to see how they did it as well.

I think the Pacbrake engine brake for the 6.7 ISB's uses an all new upper and lower valve cover assembly that mounts the solenoids and appears to use the VGT turbo as part of the control and actuation of the engine brake. This 12V brake is clearly not doing that.
Looks to have some sort of distributor hooked up to the timing gear. Probably routs oil to actuators at the same time as the fuel would be shot in. Would need awfully large pistons on the actuators, though, with 40PSI of oil pressure against the valve spring and whatever bazillion PSI in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Googled this and found a thread on cumminsforum, said there making a kit for all gens of cummins and 7.3 powerstrokes. At least if I had one, people would know what it is and quit telling me I blew a tire:homer: even with a quiet muffler, my exh. brake sounds like a blown air hose:shaking:

·
Premium Member
8,246 Posts
might actually be nice if your running heavy. I've heard good things about the Cummins exhaust brake. A friend has it on his 2011 and pulling his 12K lb toy hauler it actually slows it well without the use of service brakes.
I agree the one on my 07 works awesome

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The literature for my Cummins ISL states they specifically added roller lifters to this engine to deal with the valvetrain loads of the Jacobs model 490 engine brake. Why, I don't know, but it's a big enough deal Cummins put it in their literature.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
That sure is a nice fawking 1st gen:smokin:
Sweet something useful!

I'd never buy one though because I hardly tow over 10k haha....and I'd want the urge to jake my neighbors to piss them off even more :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
The literature for my Cummins ISL states they specifically added roller lifters to this engine to deal with the valvetrain loads of the Jacobs model 490 engine brake. Why, I don't know, but it's a big enough deal Cummins put it in their literature.
Well, a true jake of the style that would go on a b series would near double the load on the exhaust lifters, as they would be lifting 2 valves at once.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well, a true jake of the style that would go on a b series would near double the load on the exhaust lifters, as they would be lifting 2 valves at once.
I see. Did some research and the Jacobs compression release brake uses hydraulics to actuate the exhaust valves. Never knew that. There are little hydraulic master pistons over each of the valve rockers at the push rod end, and they are cross-tied to slave pistons on the valve side of the rocker on the exhaust valve nearest that would be at top dead center on the compression stroke. All the solenoid does is open up the hydraulic path so the master piston can operate the slave piston. Therefore the push rods see twice the normal loading since they are, like you said, opening two valves at once.

My guess looking again at the pictures of the brake in this thread is they used some sort of rotary distribution system that takes power off of the injector pump drive gear, turns it into hydraulic pressure, and pipes it to a hydraulic cylinder over the exhaust valve. If that is the case, this seems like a fairly good design that would work well and not compromise the reliability of the engine. Nice!

Edit. [486] beat me to it. :homer:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts