Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On those long overnight drives from home to events (hey, I have a day-job!), odd things get considered. Fueled by caffeine and sunflower seeds, the ridiculous becomes reasonable...

Yet the next morning, by light of say, I often wind up shaking my head, wondering what the hell I was thinking.

Neil Lillard has the same long drives, but he's ensconced in a killer tow vehicle, toting his race rigs... and he's already taken some pretty crazy ideas and nursed them to top-10 finishes...

Even now, he's competing in the latest of these...

Look close -- beneath that trademark Ronald McDonald paint job is an 18-inch adjustable wheelbase...

I bet the rules will change to outlaw this shortly, but this is the same creativity possessed by Smokey Yunick had... and at Baja Rocks, Dan has staked a claim to having the only competition that truly lets you 'run what ya brung,' with no penalties for rear-steer, tire-size, or anything...

4x4Wire will have a follow-up feature on this latest kink in suspension shortly...

Randii

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Adjustable in cab on the fly/rocks? Give more... give more :flipoff2: wouldnt 18 inches put the coilovers at some crazy angles or is this a adjust while sitting in the pits type deal, were that would be relocated as well?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Look at where the rear suspension links mount to the frame on the driver side, just behind the "door" openeing.

Is that a slider system built into the frame, so that the link mounts can move forwards and backwards?

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts
thecarman said:
Look at where the rear suspension links mount to the frame on the driver side, just behind the "door" openeing.

Is that a slider system built into the frame, so that the link mounts can move forwards and backwards?
Yes.

This has been done once before on a Scorpion chassis, I believe it was. problem is that most comps already have a rules outlawing this. They'll let you run so long as you don't actually use the system during the comp. (I imagine this includes overnight, too.)

Also, he may have 18" of extension, but I bet that that is limited by his rear driveshaft.

Anyone got any more pics of that rig though? :D

J. J.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
ChrisPy said:
thats a lot of driveshaft spline.... especially on the rear.
my thoughts exactly - I was also wondering if the front truely is not flexing - looks like the body is parallel to the axle in that pic..

Either way, power to him for trying it - definitely interested in more pics and hearing/seeing how well it works.

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
I have thought out the same thing, make it hydro powered.. and also make 2 slips insted of one.. and on the middle slip attach a driveshaft bearing (i dunno what they are called) so you run 2 long slip shafts going to the rear axle.. and it is all hydro powered.. I think it woudl be pretty cool to get your front tires up on a rock, then lock up the front breaks, and pull up the rear with the hydro...

Garrett

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It looks to me that it could be used to avoid unwanted rear steer, especially if you could move one side at a time. You could even add more rear steer.

It would have to be hydo and on the fly. Sure would be fun to watch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i spoke with Neil about this briefly a couple of months ago. He told me he was building the frame more or less spherically. purpose being when you roll, you roll back on to your wheels and dont do as much damage during the roll over. makes sense, I guess. Things at right angles to the ground will auger where round rolls through. He also built the whole thing himself with help from a friend who is a tech at a local mortorcycle dealership. i have to admit it looks better (from here) than i thought it would.

guess if you want something done right ya gotta do it yourself....

·
Registered
25,334 Posts
Since this is a true "run what you brung" comp and a $50k first prize, it's worth the time and expense to get the advantage for this one comp. He'll figure out how to stay legal for the other competitions.
I like the idea, prerun the terrain and choose your wheelbase prior to the start.

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts
Wilson said:
Since this is a true "run what you brung" comp and a $50k first prize, it's worth the time and expense to get the advantage for this one comp. He'll figure out how to stay legal for the other competitions.
I like the idea, prerun the terrain and choose your wheelbase prior to the start.
You'd have to prerun far in advance as most comps don't let competitors on the course as long as they are present before the event begins. And, at that point, you wouldn't know the routes, which accounts for a LARGE portion of the difficulty. I would think doing that would hurt as much as it would help because you could run everything wrong, let the wheelbase all the way out, and end up screwing yourself for the comp.

J. J.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
The driveshaft could be handled with an intermediate shaft and a carrier bearing, assuming you have enough room behind the Tcase to mount an 18" travel intermediate shaft with the carrier bearing attached to the sliding rear suspension portion.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
LAME said:
This guy did the hydro wheelbase thing 3 years ago :flipoff2:

Anyone know who this is?

Brian Cook. He lives down here about 30 min from me so we wheel together alot. By the way, that's not a scorpion- he and a freind built it in 3 months with a harbor freight bender .
They had just finished it the day before that picture was taken.
Yeah it does work good. He can start to climb a big ledge with the wheelbase at it's shortest (103" and when it starts to get tippy or spinning he can lengthen it out untill it feels right. Usually pops over stuff everybody else is deathly afraid of. When the middle hangs he can shorten it up.
It uses a single 2" cylinder to adjust a small subframe that slides on a track. Its 1/4 elliptic rear and uses a monster long slip driveshaft.:cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.