Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after pondering what to do I finally bit the bullet. Just ordered a 98 4Runner rear end-complete with factory diff lock, 4.10 (21,000 miles). It'll be going under my 85, yea, I know-width=60 inches. I figure drop in the Sky kit and that brings my front to 58".

I'll be running 35x15.5x15's with 3.75 backspacing (I think-whatever the backspacing is for a Land Cruiser 40 series).
This rig is not a daily driver, Usually only driven to the trail, so the mileage will be low.

Would I be putting major stress on the bearings if I then add 1" spacers per side?
Would they be toast by the time I get through my 2.5 trip there doing 60?

I figure I'll need new spring perches, I'd do the coil over but can't fab that good.

I went this route instead of having to modify a housing to accept the e-locker, plus I got the whole unit for $650 shipped from TX.

What snags will I run into?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ive run 2" BS wheels forever now with little spacers up front and theres no probs with wheel bearinngs. steering sux a dirty pair of old lady panties with out hydro assist especially when locked up...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
well considering I run 2" spacers on the front of my 4runner, I doubt you'll have wheel bearing problems. I've had them on for over two years now, and up until 6 months ago, it was my DD. I haven't had any wheel bearing problems so far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sick! Make sure and take pics man. I think that 3.5" BS is correct for FJ40s. My 3.5BS white spokes clear the tie rod ends by a fraction of an inch. Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
652 Posts
so know that you made detective you became a dirty cop?(wondering where are the money is coming from )

we got to get together and bend some tube.

dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davefj40 said:
so know that you made detective you became a dirty cop?(wondering where are the money is coming from )
we got to get together and bend some tube.
dave
Ahh, nice-nothin dirty here, just good old investigative work and lots of side jobs. Crime is my job security!
Let me know what weekend you wanna drop in and we'll bend away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts