Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got off my lazy ass and sent bobby my birfs. I spoke to him this morning and I gotta say super nice guy to deal with, even after all this time. So far I have joined the ranks of DRM and never broke a stock birf, but you can never be too careful. I may not "get it" like some of the people on this board, but it's been over some pretty good trails in the last year: Rubicon, Fordyce (2), Pritchett Canyon, Hells Revenge, Golden Spike, Bump Dump and numerous local trails. Had to get ready for the 4Runner Jambo. See everyone in JV.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
locrwln said:
Well I finally got off my lazy ass and sent bobby my birfs. I spoke to him this morning and I gotta say super nice guy to deal with, even after all this time. So far I have joined the ranks of DRM and never broke a stock birf, but you can never be too careful. I may not "get it" like some of the people on this board, but it's been over some pretty good trails in the last year: Rubicon, Fordyce (2), Pritchett Canyon, Hells Revenge, Golden Spike, Bump Dump and numerous local trails. Had to get ready for the 4Runner Jambo. See everyone in JV.
make sure you read the post about not running the C-clips:rolleyes: that is what happens if you don't. to recap;do martac at the dif end put on C-clip at the other end 2nd slot in from end of the burf side of the axel do not use the C-clip at the end of the axel that gose in the burf,do put the C-clip on the end at the hub of the burf..and get new seals your in there do it..injoy:D

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah I've been keeping track of all the longfield discussions and know about the c-clips. Also the inner axle shaft seals are less than two months old. Ahh the fun of tearing into the front axle again.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Lets say that a young man was doing his front brakes several years ago. Well, being the fool that he was, he ditched the c-clips when putting his axle back together, and now has no idea where they are. Where can I get new c-clips? Dealer? Napa? It doesn't matter right now, but when I lock the front I'm gonna need them. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Well, you could *probably* just do a mar-tack at both ends of the shaft, instead of just at the diff end

I know you have to compensate for the nothc where the snap ring would have gone, but it'd be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Heavy Metal Toy said:
Lets say that a young man was doing his front brakes several years ago. Well, being the fool that he was, he ditched the c-clips when putting his axle back together, and now has no idea where they are. Where can I get new c-clips? Dealer? Napa? It doesn't matter right now, but when I lock the front I'm gonna need them. Thanks guys.
I am not sure which of the 3 clips you are talking about, but any or all of them can be ordered through a Toyota dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, the steering stops are set at factory settings. Should I turn them out a little more? When I put my new (to me) axle houlsing in I reenforced the tabs on the axle this time. My old ones bent pretty easily.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Put the longfields in and get everything buttoned back up. Then disconnect the steering linkage so you can swing the tire back and forth freely with your hands. Obviously, the front tires both hafta be off the ground for this.

Rotate the tire and slowly turn it to full lock. You can feel the longfield start to bind as you turn it TOO far. Back off a little bit and set the steering stop right there. Basically, make it turn as tight as you can without binding.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a plan. We'll see where we're at when I get it back together.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Good call before the Jambo. If any of the AZ guys get stuck behind a rig with a broken stock birfield there will be hell to pay. If you break a Longfield we'll probably just heckle you lightly.:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks pmurf1, I'll try and keep from holding anyone up. By the way I registered for Sledghammer. Just look for the blue 4Runner with personalized NV plates "LOCRWLN".

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my longfields back on tuesday. They look good, too bad I can't put them in for another weekend or two. Really happy with the fast turn around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts