Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's that time again... We are gearing up to find the next All-Pro Trail Breaker. On October 4th at Sand Hollow in Hurricane, Utah, 12 drivers will once again attempt to conquer the newest and toughest trail in the U.S. If you are unfamiliar with what a real All-Pro Trail Breaker is, here is the definition:

A true Trail Breaker is an elite driver that not only continually attempts the hardest obstacles nature can provide, but completes them when no one else can. These drivers are by far the best from their locale and recognized as the best in the world.

The amount of skill it takes to complete this level of trail takes extensive knowledge on how to push their vehicles to the extreme and beyond. There is no faint of heart for these drivers as we take immense risks that can end our vehicles. It isn't a matter of being able to wheel the rest of the weekend, but more like the vehicle will have to be scraped and dismembered to get them out of certain obstacles.

We look for a trail that is so difficult that it has never been conquered. This insane new club will invite only the best drivers in the game, and feature an exclusive look into what it takes for top drivers to defeat the impossible. There is no easy way back to our trailers, no bypasses that allow for pansy lines; this is all or nothing.

We hunt for the impossible, look for obstacles where there "Are None". We have no judges, cones, penalties, or spotters, etc. Boundaries are the canyon walls themselves.

To capture the best drivers, we must turn to the guys that know hardcore... Help us find the best. We have retained the top 5 drivers from 2016 and the winner from the Moab EJS All Pro Trail Breaker. Now we turn to Pirate4x4 to help enlist the next wave of drivers. Who do you think should be in this elite event? We want the hidden gems of Trail Riding...

Our Current Drivers are:
Jeff McKinlay (2016 Winner)
Cody Waggoner (2016 2nd place)
Tracy Jordan (2016 3rd place)
Justin Keilman (2016 4th place)
Cary Gleason (2016 5th place)
Steve Nantz (Winner of EJS All-Pro Trail Breaker)

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jeff McKinlay

Winner from the first All-Pro Trail Breaker, Jeff McKinlay took first by 28 seconds. Jeff then named the trail “Iron Man” which has become known as the most difficult trail in the country with only 7 people finishing the trail unaided.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
who were some of the "runner ups" from last years vote? might as well toss your hat in the ring again :smokin: great event, great area

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Lets get some east coasters.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Runners up from last years vote were Charlie Melchner, Steve Nantz, Justin Hall, Tom Sanford.

All of which were invited to the Moab Trail Breaker, Steve Nantz was the only person that could make it and it resulted in a win.

I agree about getting some east coasters in. Who do you think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Runners up from last years vote were Charlie Melchner, Steve Nantz, Justin Hall, Tom Sanford.

All of which were invited to the Moab Trail Breaker, Steve Nantz was the only person that could make it and it resulted in a win.

I agree about getting some east coasters in. Who do you think?
Tim Cameron, Wes Kean, and Jake Burkey are all pretty well known for being the "first" to climb some pretty stupid steep, technical trails around here.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I'd actually like to see a rock bouncer on the list, since some of them are always saying how they can run any of our west coat trails *cough* bustedknuckle *caugh* Bobby tanner or Timmy Cameron might have a chance.

:stirthepot:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
How did it go last year? I saw a bunch of marketing hype leading up to it and marketing hype after it but nobody talked about it at all. Now I see marketing hype again... but nothing from the wheeling community. No FB, Pirate, HLC, posts from people who went and though it was awesome? Seems like it would be a must see event.

Got a video/picture high light recap?

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
How did it go last year? I saw a bunch of marketing hype leading up to it and marketing hype after it but nobody talked about it at all. Now I see marketing hype again... but nothing from the wheeling community. No FB, Pirate, HLC, posts from people who went and though it was awesome? Seems like it would be a must see event.

Got a video/picture high light recap?
Good point, I was bummed to never see a good video of last year. Unless I missed it.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely wasn't a flop, here is a bunch of links to it with pictures and video. Our live coverage alone hit over 2 million viewers.

Video
Cary Gleason
Justin Keilman and Tracy Jordan

Post Event Write-Up
https://www.thetrailhero.com/all_pro_trail_breaker_challenge

7 guys too much? Especially when they are literally known as the best drivers in the country? I would put money on that no big name previously mentioned (Tim Cameron, Bobby Tanner, Wes Keen) from the east coast make it in their rig... And this years trail is harder.

4 Guys have finished last years Trail Breaker trail unaided during the event. Since then, only 3 have finished it. Most wont dare enter the first obstacle.

And that what this event is AAAAALLLLLL about... Last year when I contacted Tim Cameron about running in an event to find out who really was the best trail driver, he read every correspondence via text, FB, etc and never replied back... Take that how you want.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
I went to the event in Moab and thought it was great. I'd love to go to the Sand Hallow event but can't take the time off work. Some of the people in our group had never watched hardcore rock crawling and while they enjoyed seeing people attempt the obsticles they ended up wanting to go wheel because no one was completing anything. I could have stayed all day and watched because I understood the game, they said they would rather see difficult obsticles that was driveable. I'll go back next year if they have one in Moab.

I agree that Charlie would be a good candidate for the east coast.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is Jesse Haines driving one of the climbs after the Trail Breaker event was over. Tell me if you think this isn't difficult...

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Thanks rich. I'll delete some of my BS so it doesn't mar the first page of this years thread with negative juju. :grinpimp: I don't know anyone on the east in my circle with a rig for this. Bouncers do surprising well in tough rocks. I'd like to see a few try but many of you need to understand that the comp only rock bouncers over heat quickly and couldn't handle a trail, they are purpose build machines for one shot hills.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I would put money on that no big name previously mentioned (Tim Cameron, Bobby Tanner, Wes Keen)
I'm with you here, doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to watch.

Plus there is no denying, weather you like rock bouncers or not, they draw a crowd.

Random off topic: I met a kid while I was working at the oroville dam disaster. He had a werock sticker on his truck, so I asked if he competed. He said no, and that his friend owned it. Can remember his name, but he said he knew you.

Cool story bro, I know, :flipoff2: it's a small world.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I'd actually like to see a rock bouncer on the list, since some of them are always saying how they can run any of our west coat trails *cough* bustedknuckle *caugh* Bobby tanner or Timmy Cameron might have a chance.

:stirthepot:
Good luck finding them here, all of those SE guys are on Hardline or Facebook (ghaaaay).

Having ran both SE trails and Sand Hollow trails, I don't think they have a shot against some of these other guys. Especially since their buggies are the wrong tool for the job.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Good luck finding them here, all of those SE guys are on Hardline or Facebook (ghaaaay).

Having ran both SE trails and Sand Hollow trails, I don't think they have a shot against some of these other guys. Especially since their buggies are the wrong tool for the job.
I agree, with 25:1 crawl ratio and 4k rpm converters (wild ass guesses) I think they would have a hard time with the technical stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I didn't like how it (Sand Hollow) became a time rock race at the end instead of completing obstacles, most everyone bypassed the last obstacle. The Moab event seemed better in this regard.

I can think of a guy but good luck talking him into it. ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts