Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of designing and manufacturing aluminum .063" welded cases. Might even look into offering stainless steel depending on costs. These will be sturdy, well thought out cases.

The initial plans are for the following sizes:
15x10x4 (2 pistol)
32x14x4 (breakdown shotgun)
36x14x4 (maybe)
44x14x4 (AR/AK)
52x14x4 (2 scoped rifles)
52x14x8 (4 scoped rifles)

What sizes would most of you find most useful?

I'm not sure on prices yet and won't be offering anything until it's finished to our liking and I have my yellow star. I'm just trying to get a feel for what sizes I should concentrate on first. I'm planning on the 15x10x4, 52x14x4, and 44x14x4 in that order to start.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I would like to see a case large enough to house an AR, a shotgun, and 2 pistols. I can handle the foam cut outs to keep them all in place.

Would make going to the range easier.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
An idea that may be a selling point would be to offer templates for cutting the foam. If you offered templates for the most popular weapons/accessories than the consumer would see this as an option for customization.

I know there are a bazillion different weapons etc, but start with the most popular.

-AR
-AK
-Various length shotguns
-scoped rifle in different lengths
-small/medium/large pistols
-Mags
-Glasses/ear muffs
-other common random items

It would take some time to build a CAD database of things, but that could be part of ongoing developement. I'll CAD out everything I own and I'm sure you could get others to do the same. It seams like cutting the foam is something that scares a lot of people when they get a case because it makes that case dedicated to that item/function. The foam can't cost that much can it? Offer replacement or "spare" foam at a sensible price so that the same case could be used for multiple funtions.

I have dedicated cases with foam cutouts etc and they're great, but I also have one that's universal (no cutouts). It get's used just as often if not more than the others because depending on what flavor shooting/hunting I'm doing I'll stick different weapons in it. Certain guns don't get transported enough to have a dedicated case so it's nice to have that option.

Also, send each case with a hobby knife and a few spare blades:laughing:. Okay, maybe that's a bad idea!!

Oh, and keep the prices reasonable!! (at least for teh PBB people!)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Kinda off topic, but thought I would stick it up here in case anybody didn't know. The absolute best way to cut the foam at home that I have found, is to use an electric kitchen or fillet knife. I traced my AR on the back side of the foam with a silver paint pen and cut from the back. If you angle it in slightly, when you flip it over it makes for a really tight fit.

Back on topic, the sizes you listed that you would be starting with would be the ones I would be interested in also. Would these cases have wheels? I know the wheels on my pelican cases get used a lot more than I thought they would.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
i'm thinking i would absolutely destroy an aluminum rifle case.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's already a cool idea on customizing the case for particular items. Just not saying anything about that yet. These will be unique cases. :grinpimp:

I'll have to look into wheel options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts