Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have failed to keep this thread going.... So here is a quick update:

Wheeled a little:

Moved a lot of firewood around, went camping, drove to work, didn't do much to the truck, them lost the engine...

The rebuild has me motivated again... Thus the rebirth of this thread. Ignore at your leisure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The new motor is a balanced 22re with an enginebldr 268 cam and 2mm oversized valves in a new head. I got a Downy (RIP) header from a friend, and am swapping in a 1990 upper intake plenum and throttle body. I currently have the engine bolted up to the tranny, but am in the process of building new motor mounts. I cut the old ones out and plated the inside of the frame. I am using Chevrolet leaf spring bushings (3" x 1.5"od x9/16"id) for motor mount bushings so that I can choose between urethane or rubber bushings depending on vibration, etc. I will likely use the same design when I finally build my tcase mounts.

Engine in bay

Motor mounts:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I didn't get a whole lot done today. In fact, I only got a couple hours of time in with the rig. I did get the driver's side motor mount finished and installed. Next weekend I should be able to get the other one in. Pics:

It was too dark to get a photo of it welded in, but that last shot shows how it fits in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I guess I pretty much fail at staying up to date...

Engine is in. Here are the motor mounts in place:

Runs well enough to haul home a free culvert that I needed for my property. My truck is happy to see you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh yeah, I finally got some new tires. 36" Iroks. They rub a bit at the rear wheel wells... So I figured it was time to do a volcomesque tailgate swap and trim.

Here is the pickup gate mocked up:

As you can see, I changed out my canopy. During the engine build, the truck was sitting outside in the rain and snow. The original top ripped the prior summer, and I had found some really heavy waterproof canvas to replace it, but hadn't had time to get it sewn up. With weather threatening, my only option was to put my hard top back on. I ran that way for a bit, with a straight pipe clamped on to my header, and no interior panels... And when I started considering wearing earplugs while driving, I knew I needed to change some things.

I broke down and bought a softopper. I wanted to be able to fold the thing back or remove it easily, and I simply didn't have time to fix mine or redesign it sufficiently to meet my new perceived needs.

I love it. Back to the tailgate.

Heavy, thick 4runner tailgate gone.

I cut a piece of 1/8" plate:

Tacked it in:

Hung the tailgate:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A friend needed help moving an outhouse to some family property near Beasore Meadows. He overbuilt the outhouse in Oakhurst and hauled it up to its destination. The thing weighed 750lbs if it weighed an ounce. They wanted six of us to carry it up a hill. I had a better idea. We loaded it in a trailer and I drove it up one side of a large hill and down the other side to the outhouse foundation.

Before anyone starts whining about the trees, don't worry, I cut a bunch of them down:flipoff2:

This is private property, which happens to be overgrown, the trees handle tons of snow and my 4runner didn't actually hurt any of them, and I had permission to do what I did.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Fast forward a bit, and I got bored and cut the rear lower quarters to allow for more uptravel without contact, and to fix my 4ADS (4Runner Ass Drag Syndrome)-causing departure angle.

After welding crappy thin Toyota sheet metal, doing a bunch of trimming and grinding, filling with that hairy fiberglass bondo stuff and doing more than a little bit of sanding, I had this:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My father-in-law and I decided to go snowshoeing today at Chilkoot Lake (About 7000' elevation, for those out of the area).

I got up to Cold Spring Summit in 2wd. The looks on the faces of the youngsters at the top, complete with yuppiefied bolt-on part Jeeps, who, according to the tracks in the road had had trouble getting that far, was priceless when we got out to lock the hubs before plowing off the main road toward the lake trail. We were following one set of tracks, but caught up to them quickly enough.

Four high school kids in a 3rd gen e-lockered runner. They had BFG A/Ts, and that was about it. No shovels, no recovery gear, no winter clothes, no food, and their communication solution was a cell phone that was at least an hour walk in 2' snow from a signal- if you knew which way to go. I'm pretty sure one of the young men was wearing Sketchers and tights!

Anyway, we got them unstuck and sent them back from whence they came.

The lake was awesome. Nothing wheeling-related to follow, but sometimes, we ought to drive as far as possible, then see what is around the next corner anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update to a really really old thread:

The truck had electrical issues since the initial fire. Finally, I pulled every wire out of it and started over. I got the engine harness done, then work responsibilities took over, I found a good deal on a 04 double cab Tacoma, flatbedded that, stuffed 35s under it, let a friend take the Firerunner to finish the wiring, he got sidetracked, I moved, had another kid....

Meanwhile, I found my highschool car, a '64 Baja bug with a bus swingarm reduction box transaxle, rotting in a field. Got it back, stated cleaning the body up...

Rebuilt my wife's 97 5 speed 4runner after she rolled it.

Started building a 95powerstroke camper van / tow rig.

Picked up a 91 FJ80 to rehab for my wife because the 4runner is too small now...

And kept playing with Harleys and vintage Yamahas...

Hey, life happens. I was going to sell the firerunner, but then I looked back through this thread and the much longer early build thread on yotatech. It's not worth enough money without running to sell as is.

My current idea is to sell the body, Softopper, and title. Keep most of the frame, drop the vw body on it, do a rear radiator / front engine truggy- style build....

·
Registered
680 Posts

The truck had electrical issues since the initial fire. Finally, I pulled every wire out of it and started over. I got the engine harness done, then work responsibilities took over, I found a good deal on a 04 double cab Tacoma, flatbedded that, stuffed 35s under it, let a friend take the Firerunner to finish the wiring, he got sidetracked, I moved, had another kid....

Meanwhile, I found my highschool car, a '64 Baja bug with a bus swingarm reduction box transaxle, rotting in a field. Got it back, stated cleaning the body up...

Picked up a 91 FJ80 to rehab for my wife because the 4runner is too small now...

Hey, life happens. I was going to sell the firerunner, but then I looked back through this thread and the much longer early build thread on yotatech. It's not worth enough money without running to sell as is.

My current idea is to sell the body, Softopper, and title. Keep most of the frame, drop the vw body on it, do a rear radiator / front engine truggy- style build....
What do you want for the soft topper?

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts

I feel like many Pirate members can see themselves in this post.

Enjoyed the read, and I wish I never gave my high school truck to cash for clunkers.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I feel like many Pirate members can see themselves in this post.

Enjoyed the read, and I wish I never gave my high school truck to cash for clunkers.
I watched this thread from the first post. I couldn’t believe it was 2011:laughing: it didn’t feel that long, op how much for the rig, or keep it and finish it some day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Softopper is in fantastic shape. One of the plastic clips on the rear broke right away but it doesn't seem to affect anything. If I could get 5 for it I'd be pretty happy with that.

The body and title I'd probably sell for 750.

But.... I might have a local deal rolling. A friend has a set of housings that are already set up for links. I might do some horse trading for that.

I've got to move some projects around before I can start back up on this. Once the E350 and a 53 Jubilee project are off my property, I'll have room to bring this to the house and get moving on it again.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Softopper is in fantastic shape. One of the plastic clips on the rear broke right away but it doesn't seem to affect anything. If I could get 5 for it I'd be pretty happy with that.

The body and title I'd probably sell for 750.

But.... I might have a local deal rolling. A friend has a set of housings that are already set up for links. I might do some horse trading for that.

I've got to move some projects around before I can start back up on this. Once the E350 and a 53 Jubilee project are off my property, I'll have room to bring this to the house and get moving on it again.
Shoot me a pm, I’m in Tracy. I’m interested

21 - 36 of 36 Posts