Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got around to building the cage for the EB, it is my first attempt at doing any bending. This rig is a daily driver with occasional trail time, so the cage was built for that more than a hard core rig.

It is a full family cage with the front seat mounts built in to the cage. I may still add a spreader or two but I have to get more tube first.

Well here is a pic ( cage pic ) for everyones flaming pleasure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would normally agree but these were put there for a couple of reasons. The cage was built to allow the sunvisors to stay, the leaf windows to open, and the handles are primarily to help my wife climb in. Because of the visor/leaf window issues you couldn't mount them in the more typical location. This is where they fit the best to accomplish that, you also can't get your hands on them with the doors closed. I set it up that way to discourage the use of them while vehicle is being driven.

I hope to add a dash bar with a passenger handle, just need more tube first. The 2" DOM wasn't cheap and I ordered the minimum that I had to have to start.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Nice job on the cage but I agree about the handles. I would have put the velcro handles on. But hind sight is 20/20 and it's your cage so if you like it, then great!!!!

How about some more pics?

-Jack

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hobe said:
Well I finally got around to building the cage for the EB, it is my first attempt at doing any bending. This rig is a daily driver with occasional trail time, so the cage was built for that more than a hard core rig.
Nice job for your first! What type of bender did you use? How much? I'm looking into getting a bender and am curious as to what you used.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cage was made out of 2" x .120 DOM and I used most of 3 sticks, around 55' total. All that was left were the stubs off of each stick, not long enough for the dash bar.

The tube was about $3.25 a foot in the small quantities that I used and I used a JD2 mod 3 bender to do the work

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Nice job
IF you decide to change the handels an idea is to put them in the corner between where the bar comes up and where it goes back like a gussett. I did that for my wife to get in and out but I used some thing wall 1" hrew for that.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
after thinking about it, I wouldnt have made those grab handles. I would have just used those hand grip velcro things that you see in all the jeep catalogs. But that's just me....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EBSTEVE said:
Nice job
IF you decide to change the handels an idea is to put them in the corner between where the bar comes up and where it goes back like a gussett. I did that for my wife to get in and out but I used some thing wall 1" hrew for that.
I agree that it would be a better place for strength and to keep them inside the cage. The problem is that it wouldn't work with the visors. To allow the leaf windows and visors to still be functional I leaned the top of the front legs in more than the norm. This allows both to work normally with no interference, but I do sacrifice a blind spot and less rollover protection at the top of the doors.

The location I used allows them to be used to help access to the EB with the doors open. They fit very close to the top of the doors when closed, you can't get your hands in them. I also used the heavier material to provide some protection at the top of the doors for that just in case scenario. With the front legs leaning in more I had less protection in the area around the tops of the doors.

But it is still primarily a daily driver and won't see a lot of serious trail use. I have plans for another rig for the trail at a later date, it will be setup different. I will not be looking at convienence and comfort issues such as leaf windows and visors for it. Everything will be kept inside in a more conventional manner, but I think this will work for the purpose of this rig.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well finally got around to prepping it for paint and took a couple of more pics. So for those that wanted to see more pics here they are

pic 1

pic 2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts