Pirate 4x4 banner
101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
i'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but did you guys find a frame? i have an 81 frame from a trekker that is in perfect condition you can have it for
$100. if those carbs are worth 800+ then ebay them bitches, come to NC and i'll send you home w/ a toyota that will be worth building. there is a turn key unit down here for 1500. its a first gen w/ 22r, doug thorly header, L52, dual cases, sky twin stick, allpro x-member and parking break kit, 4x4 labs hysteer, locked frt and rear, 63 chebbies, rears up front, bilstien 5150's all around, sittin on 35" TSL's, got an 8 pt roll cage... like i said turn key wheeler. i would just fallow my mans advise, rent a dolly and drop below thew mason dixon there are some real deals in a toyota down here. i promise it would be worth the trip. not knocking your rig but i just hate to see you standing w/ your finger in the dike. i know what its like spending on a money pit. just trying to help a brother out. please dont take offence in any way...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Nice patch work you got going, but it think it would have been easier to just cut the whole floor out and build a new one.
x2, but still looks like you are doing a good job.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
You must reeaalllyyy love that 1st gen considering you've got a perfectly good 2nd gen cab sitting there.

The first time you roll it you're going to cry like a 5 year old gettin beat down by Santa. :flipoff2:

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
thanks guys. i appriciate it. i do love the first gen cab. I'm planning on keeping the 2nd gen cab if i can't sell it, and i'll have it for a spare incase i roll.

this is my first buildup, and my first time welding, so i guess it isn't time wasted because i'm learning

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
mig

the rust on it isn't as bad as the rust under my 96 ranger, actually.

i guess the PO used a red donor truck cuz the rear of the cab is red.

Waiting on some more 14 gauge steel before the cab mounts are finished.

I've been using .030 gasless fluxcore

Attachments

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
i decided to look at the parts dying to get back on my yota while i've been waiting on steel.
The heater core had a lot of stop leak in it from the PO trying to fix the BHG. I spent 30 minutes in the sink cleaning it out. I found the best way to clean the heater core is to run hot water through it until no more crud comes out, and then fill it half way, plug both holes with your fingers, and shake it like hell, draining and refilling constantly. I flushed it until no more came out. Hopefully my heat will work after the rebuild. I didn't feel like spending 60$ on a new heater core and 30 minutes was well worth my time if it works :)

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
I was in the basement and saw my oil pickup tube..it was clogged with silicone and crud. I cleaned it similar to the method of the heater core. Filled it with hot water, plugged it off with my finger and shook it. now i don't have to buy a new one of those either

Chopped the frame up real quick to save some room

Look at the fuckin nest in there; this thing musta sat for years.

Surprisingly, the gas tank isn't even rusted.

I'm glad i didn't decide to patch this and run it.

MMM crunchy.

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
so i'm pretty fucking furious...i go to back out of the driveway today with my dd, a F.O.R.D, and there was 2 quarts of oil pooled under my truck. I filled 2 quarts in and drove to the gas station, bought 5 quarts, and im home with 2 quarts left. this truck never leaked oil before. I need to finish my toyota PRONTO and get rid of this ranger!1

101 - 120 of 192 Posts