Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i finally after 14 months, drove my cruiser friday evening......

this thing is so freekin rad i love it

it has a tbi 305/th350/205/44/14bff

this thing runs very well and for totally rebuilding the thing, i am pretty please but i have a few questions/problems

i have a yota master cylinder (brand new) and fullsize brakes........i have litterally NO pressure, i can pump the brakes 7-10 times and barley have enough to stop going 5-10 mph..... this MC should have enough braking power for my brakes right?? what about bench bleeding.... whats your method??

TH350 oil pan WILL NOT seal properly..... i bought a new oil pan and replaced the gasket and filter.........it came with a cork gasket.... i put the gasket on dry- still leaks i put it on with silicon around the whole thing- still leakes tried HY-TACK gooo junk -still leaks i have tried 7 or 8 gaskets now and still now luck........whats your method?? i am almost emberassed to have to ask that but i can not for thelife of me get the damn thing to seal

my cooling fan is a stock therm/clutch set up........... is a flex fan worth the added flow over my stock fan?? i ask becuase i have a tranny cooler and engine oil cooler infront of the rad. and it blocks a lot of air..........or will the stocker be fine??

also (again seems stupid question) i was messing around in my yard on some 2-3 foot tall rocks. when i am on the gas trying to climb something, i have almost no power steering......seems un usual to me.........i understand it sucks power and all but it's weird...

thanks guys, i want to buy a star and post pics, but i gotta wait till friday as i have dumped everything but 20 bucks into the cruiser........

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
i have a yota master cylinder (brand new) and fullsize brakes........i have litterally NO pressure, i can pump the brakes 7-10 times and barley have enough to stop going 5-10 mph..... this MC should have enough braking power for my brakes right?? what about bench bleeding.... whats your method??

TH350 oil pan WILL NOT seal properly..... i bought a new oil pan and replaced the gasket and filter.........it came with a cork gasket.... i put the gasket on dry- still leaks i put it on with silicon around the whole thing- still leakes tried HY-TACK gooo junk -still leaks i have tried 7 or 8 gaskets now and still now luck........whats your method?? i am almost emberassed to have to ask that but i can not for thelife of me get the damn thing to seal
On the brakes.. It's not a pressue issue. The yota m/c probably can't move enough fluid per pump to fill up the brakes. You'll have to check around on the yota board probably, but I'm guessing it's master cylinder swapping time. also make sure your rear brakes (if drum) are adjusted correctly. I doubt bleeding it again is going to change anything.

On the tranny.. Are you sure it's the pan leaking? There is a lot of places to lose fluid on an auto trans. Front pump and dipstick are the two most common past the trans pan.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You sure it is the pan on the TH350 leaking and not the kickdown? I'm always struggling with the kickdown on TH350, I hate kickdowns. Also, maybe the problem is you are paying attention to torque specs on the pan and not just tightening it down.

Skip the flex fan, your stock fan probably pulls more air.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
fullsize, send the pics to:
[email protected] and I'll post them for you.

Sounds nice!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stock chevy dana 44 calipers on front. (ordered for a 75, but should be any year with solid axle)

and 14bolt stock wheel cyliners........... all new calipers/lines/wheel cylinders/master cylinder/pads/rotors everything is brand new brake wise....

i didnt even think about the dipstick tube.....it could be that, but i still have pan leaks.....it leaks in the back passenger side corner......i thought it was my old pan, so i bought a new one and same thing......

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
you need a chevy master cylinder. Are you running a toy vacuum booster? If so rockstomper has the adapter plate, from the toy booster to the 1 ton chevy MC.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As for the pan here is what i would recommend.... Use RTV and after you put it on tighten the bolts up to where they just start to get tight but not completely. Don't put any fluid in it and let it set up until the next day. Tighten it to specs then put fluid in it. Everytime I have got in a hurry and not let the rtv set up at least over night or tightened it to the point it squeezed alot out while still wet i got leaks.

Brakes you can back bleed them with a oil can or something similar by pumping fluid into the bleeder valve. Just use a clear tube to make sure you are not pumping in air. Sometimes gravity bleeding works well too just crack them all open for a couple hours and make sure the MC stays full.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For the tranny pan gasket, I used to always put a thin layer of grease on the pan and the place the gasket on then another thin layer of grease and tighten the bolts-but not too tight that is crushes the gasket. Never has a tranny leak in 8 years.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
like my eyesore said, get the adapter plate from rockstomper. that should take care of your brake problems.

on the trans pan, be careful not to crush the pan gasket. cork gakets suck, especially when theyre over-tightened. just get it snug with one hand and call it good. try not to crush it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts