Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 752 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after years of research, planning(dreaming), collecting parts and dragging them across the country with me, I finally started building my truck. This is my first build. I've done a fair amount of fab on sand rails and old trucks growing up, and I can build a car from the ground up, so this is something I decided I could handle. It's taken awhile to get started since I'm active duty Navy.

With that being said, here's the plan. Keep in mind I'm not building an extreme rock rig. This truck will be something I can drive to the trails, wheel all day, then drive home. Throw dirt bikes in it, take it hunting, you get the idea. So the rear 10 bolt is getting swapped out for a 9.5" 14 bolt I pulled from a 92 3/4 ton, transfer case is going to the np241 from a 95, the front axle is a dana 44 from a 78 Bronco that I'm swapping Chevy knuckles onto.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2 weeks after I bought the truck in 06 I had a Fabtech 6" lift, 3" BL and 37" swamper SSRs. I thought it was awesome at the time, I learned otherwise.

The first time I took it out wheelin. That hill is steeper than it looks.

And.... the result. This was only the first of 4 TREs I've snapped before this last set I sleeved.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cool shot from a big fishin tournament/camping/concert/muddin event called big bass days back home.

And then the reason for swapping the heavier rear axle in. This was completely my fault, I was making a U turn while stationed in South Carolina, it was a narrow road so I broke the tires loose to whip the rear around. This was the result to the G80 when the swampers got traction again.

So I swapped in an Auburn LS since it was the best I could afford at the time. Then a few months later a lady in an Excursion ran into my right front end resulting in this

Fastforward a few years and up in WA the mounts finally gave way on that shock hoop. My solution was pretty rigged but worked extremely well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So the major parts, '92 3/4 ton 9.5" 14 bolt rear end that I pulled in WA. It's getting a Detroit locker, 4.56's, and disc brakes. I'll explain my solution for that swap here in a minute.

The np 241 I pulled from a 95 Z71 in WA. It's getting a JBconversions SYE and I'll rebuild it while I have it apart.

The front Dana 44 off a 78 Bronco i also picked up in WA. It'll get a Detroit or Yukon, haven't decided yet, 4.56s, knuckles out from a 76 chevy Dana 44, and lastly the part I know many will criticize, long travel radius arms from James Duff instead of leaves.

Other goodies I've picked up, Warn premium hubs from a buddy down here, BTF weld it yourself diff covers for both axles
Flat top knuckles
Leaf perches, plates, U bolts, shock tabs and disc brake brackets(which I wont actually be using)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That brings me to where I'm at now. Everything for the rear end and t case is ordered and on it's way. The locker didn't actually exist anywhere... so I'm waiting for it to be manufactured and I should have it in a few weeks. I'll be out of town until then anyways. I had ordered a rear shackle flip kit from ORD and installed that to get rid of the rear blocks. Started tearing the rear axle down and cleaning it up. Turns out no set of rotors, and I tried almost everything, would both fit on the axle, and work with the calipers I needed to use for the weld on brackets I got. My solution, I'm going to have square brackets made, very similar to stock, for the brake brackets from the ten bolt then weld those onto the 14 bolt tubes. The rotors fit over the axles, plus I already have all the things I'll need on the stock axle. Including brake lines I'll modify to fit the larger axle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
quick question bud. u say u got a 3/4 ton 6 lug sf 14 bolt right? im guessing that cuz your planning on using the 10 bolt rotors?
I learned the hard way the 3/4 ton sf 14s are 2 1/2 inches narrower than the heavy halfs sf 14 bolt and your stock 10 bolt.(65 compared to 67.5) the reason this is a problem is that your tires will hit your leafs without spacers or a large offset wheel. I blew up 3 10 bolts and the first sf 14 I swapped in was out of a 94 2500 wt. the stock tires wouldn't even bolt up. 1 1/2 inch spacers gave me a 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and spring

the brake stuff swaps over easy just carefully cut the welds off the existing brake mounts and push them to the correct width and weld um back on. make sure your caliper bleeders are on top of the caliper before you weld it up.

I ended up using the 3/4 ton 6 lug axle for a year or so, then found a heavy half sf 14 and did it again to get rid of the wheel spacers.
just wanted to throw that out there. I don't have any pics of the conversion but there is a few in my build thread before I went with 1 tons that have that axle under it

also I went radius arms(not stock ford but custom) but with 1 tons and if your planning on staying around 6 inches of lift with crossover steering then steering may be a issue as well. ive got a 4 inch drop pitman and last time I took mine out I cracked my oil pan when I bottomed out. a bent x over rod probably would have cleared but I though my bump stops were set fine, turns out they weren't at full lock right compressed.

and I pushed my axle forward 5 inches so the rod would set between the pan and the balancer. if your keeping yours in the stock location it may be worse

also for some reason the ord shackle flip didn't fit "perfect" for my truck. there was a 5/8 gap between the bottom of the mount and the bottom of my frame. I just welded in a piece of plate and redrilled the holes and it was fine. make sure u get the vss hooked up or it wont shift. unless its a stick like mine lol

you gotta figure out if your going to use the factory abs or not too. the front wheel hub vss sensors run that so you my have to buy a kit to convert abs rings to your 44 hubs to make it work. or rip out the whole thing like I did and bypass it with a rear adjustable proportional valve so the rear tires don't lock up. but then the pesky abs light is always on

oh and I get a buddy that lives in ontario that has a sf 14 from a 04 Silverado ss he may be willing to part with if you decide you don't want to deal with spacers ect. they have drums to but its the right width to match the front
hope that helps

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quick question bud. u say u got a 3/4 ton 6 lug sf 14 bolt right? im guessing that cuz your planning on using the 10 bolt rotors?
I learned the hard way the 3/4 ton sf 14s are 2 1/2 inches narrower than the heavy halfs sf 14 bolt and your stock 10 bolt.(65 compared to 67.5) the reason this is a problem is that your tires will hit your leafs without spacers or a large offset wheel. I blew up 3 10 bolts and the first sf 14 I swapped in was out of a 94 2500 wt. the stock tires wouldn't even bolt up. 1 1/2 inch spacers gave me a 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and spring The 9.5" was actually pulled from the truck by the guys at the yard (the one thing I didn't pull myself). I had measured it up before I took it to make sure it was 67.5" and it was. So If it's true that the 3/4 tons are narrower, I reckon they were mistaken.

the brake stuff swaps over easy just carefully cut the welds off the existing brake mounts and push them to the correct width and weld um back on. make sure your caliper bleeders are on top of the caliper before you weld it up. The existing mounts were fighting me tooth and nail so I'm just cutting them off and welding on new ones. My original plan was to move the existing ones though.

I ended up using the 3/4 ton 6 lug axle for a year or so, then found a heavy half sf 14 and did it again to get rid of the wheel spacers.
just wanted to throw that out there. I don't have any pics of the conversion but there is a few in my build thread before I went with 1 tons that have that axle under it

also I went radius arms(not stock ford but custom) but with 1 tons and if your planning on staying around 6 inches of lift with crossover steering then steering may be a issue as well. ive got a 4 inch drop pitman and last time I took mine out I cracked my oil pan when I bottomed out. a bent x over rod probably would have cleared but I though my bump stops were set fine, turns out they weren't at full lock right compressed. Were you running a high steer setup? That's what I'll be doing. Honestly I could only plan that out so much as you already know, I'll have to see just what'll work once the axle is under the truck. I definitely appreciate the advice and lessons learned.

and I pushed my axle forward 5 inches so the rod would set between the pan and the balancer. if your keeping yours in the stock location it may be worse I don't want to push the axle that far foward, probably only1-2" to keep the wheelbase as "short" as possible haha

also for some reason the ord shackle flip didn't fit "perfect" for my truck. there was a 5/8 gap between the bottom of the mount and the bottom of my frame. I just welded in a piece of plate and redrilled the holes and it was fine. make sure u get the vss hooked up or it wont shift. unless its a stick like mine lol Yea I had a few issues with my flip kit as well, I'm actually planning on doing similar to what you did. Haven't talked about that in here I just realized. 241 swap I'm not too worried about. There are a couple really good write ups in here that I've read through many, many times haha

you gotta figure out if your going to use the factory abs or not too. the front wheel hub vss sensors run that so you my have to buy a kit to convert abs rings to your 44 hubs to make it work. or rip out the whole thing like I did and bypass it with a rear adjustable proportional valve so the rear tires don't lock up. but then the pesky abs light is always on I'm completely getting rid of the abs. I've actually never managed to have it kick in on the street so I'm not worried about it. You can get rid of that abs light with a little electrical tape strategically placed in the dash

oh and I get a buddy that lives in ontario that has a sf 14 from a 04 Silverado ss he may be willing to part with if you decide you don't want to deal with spacers ect. they have drums to but its the right width to match the front
hope that helps
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your Navy time sounds like mine. Started in Bremerton (Camden AOE2, now decom), then down to San Diego (Denver LPD9 now in Japan), Japan (Juneau LPD 10, now decom).

All done now and back home in TX. Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
the WMS has nothing to do with 1/2t vs 3/4t
it has to do with 2wd vs 4wd
the 4wd axles in the 88-98 IFS trucks are ~3 inches wider then the 2wd trucks

also watch out with the diameter of the axle flange
I used a 88 14bsf and the flange was about a 1/8th inch to large for the stock 10b disks to fit proper

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your Navy time sounds like mine. Started in Bremerton (Camden AOE2, now decom), then down to San Diego (Denver LPD9 now in Japan), Japan (Juneau LPD 10, now decom).

All done now and back home in TX. Thanks for your service.
Yea before WA last year I had moved at least once a year for 5 years straight. If it weren't for a broken femur I wouldn't have stayed there as long as I did even. I reckon you're enjoying staying in one place. Appreciate the support and the time you did.

the WMS has nothing to do with 1/2t vs 3/4t
it has to do with 2wd vs 4wd
the 4wd axles in the 88-98 IFS trucks are ~3 inches wider then the 2wd trucks

also watch out with the diameter of the axle flange
I used a 88 14bsf and the flange was about a 1/8th inch to large for the stock 10b disks to fit proper
See that's what I thought it was. I had limited time to do all the research on years/2wd/4wd and all that before I left so I literally just broke out the tape measure and figured it out the old fashioned way. I had to get the axle up in WA because parts yards suck down here in southern CA.

I was worried about that too but the flange actually fits perfectly. It's off a 92 so maybe they switched them up in between. If anything I would have just had the flanges turned down a bit there is plenty of room for it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Small progress

Got most of the interior stripped out tonight to get ready for the t case shifter install. Gotta love the fact the the floor is already pre stamped where it needs to be cut for the shifter hole! Wont be any progress for the next couple weeks as I'll be out doing some Navy things. But when I get back I should have the SYE and t case re build kit, Detroit 4.56s and install kit for the rear, and the last axle bushing here waiting on me so that's a plus. Then I just need to design the brackets for the disc brake swap, have them made and sent then I can mock the rear up for drive shaft measurements.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice build. I love seeing newer chevys getting solid axles. Its already to late for this but the newer AAM axles from the 1 ton trucks are pretty much direct bolt ins. I went with an AAM 11.5 with a G-80 from a duramax and the only thing i had to buy was the lower brackets that the u-bolts bolt though. chevy dealer had them in stock. factory disk brakes with the internal barking brake even hooked up to my old lines. just for future reverence if you ever go 8-lug.
Did the transfer case from the 95 have the same provisions for the Speed sensors?
I was almost thinking of shaving the factory one and running a second divorced case behind it to both shorten up my supper long rear shaft (that gets bent alot) and get some ultra low action.
but if the old case works for you i might go that path.
thats the last think i'm gona worry about on my build though.
Also whats the u-joint size on that rear axle. i've got a super long rear steel drive shaft from a ford f350 with i think 1350 yokes on both ends. if you wana make the drive from san diego your welcome to it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice build looks like you have a pretty good plan
what size tires you plannin? I may have missed that
i like the dog pic with a brown bottle in the cup holder haha my style
the pic with the topless chick might sturs some sgit with guys looking at work somthing about 35% or somthing i never understoodall that but iam not sure if that applys to a pic of a pic lol
keep it up man it gives us poor people somthing to dream about haha

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice build. I love seeing newer chevys getting solid axles. Its already to late for this but the newer AAM axles from the 1 ton trucks are pretty much direct bolt ins. I went with an AAM 11.5 with a G-80 from a duramax and the only thing i had to buy was the lower brackets that the u-bolts bolt though. chevy dealer had them in stock. factory disk brakes with the internal barking brake even hooked up to my old lines. just for future reverence if you ever go 8-lug. Well I wanted to steer clear of the g80, so I was going with a Detroit anyways, plus I'm running the u bolts with the plate on top and clearing the shock tabs from under the axle. Plus I got the 9.5" on the cheap haha
Did the transfer case from the 95 have the same provisions for the Speed sensors?
I was almost thinking of shaving the factory one and running a second divorced case behind it to both shorten up my supper long rear shaft (that gets bent alot) and get some ultra low action.yes it does. Not sure what year they switched but a quick look at the tail housing and it's easy to differentiate between electronic/manual. Look into jb conversions if you haven't already. They have two slip yoke eliminator kits. One shortens the case by 8" iirc. You can get 1310, 1350 or flange face for the output as well. Seeing as my truck wont be a hardcore Wheeler, ultra low is not needed in my case but that would be interesting to see done.
but if the old case works for you i might go that path.
thats the last think i'm gona worry about on my build though.
Also whats the u-joint size on that rear axle. i've got a super long rear steel drive shaft from a ford f350 with i think 1350 yokes on both ends. if you wana make the drive from san diego your welcome to it.
the rear is 1350. I believer they were that or one other size, don't remember what tho. I may just take you up on that offer when I'm back in town. I'll let you know. Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice build looks like you have a pretty good plan
what size tires you plannin? I may have missed that
i like the dog pic with a brown bottle in the cup holder haha my style
the pic with the topless chick might sturs some sgit with guys looking at work somthing about 35% or somthing i never understoodall that but iam not sure if that applys to a pic of a pic lol
keep it up man it gives us poor people somthing to dream about haha
Well I hope so I've spent enough time planning this. Right now I have 37 12.50 r16 swamper SSRs. I'll run those till they're bad. Then I haven't decided. May switch to bead locks for trail use as well. Haha yea well up in WA I could go wheelin strait from my house. So there were usually a few brown bottles involved. I didn't even notice that poster made it in there haha uh well if it offends someone I'll deal with it :flipoff2: Thanks man. I haven't got much into this actually either so keep dreaming and make it happen!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea i'll look into the cases. i knew they had some electronic cases but i didn't know if the tone rings and all that jazz matched up. thats something for later down the line.
I scored my aam rear for less then what i sold to factory 10 bolt for so that's why i went with the huge guy.
Feel free to let me know if ya want that rear shaft. its about 5ft long. i'm sure its a lot cheaper to have that cut to fit your stuff then have a new one built. I'll just set it in the back of the garage for now.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea i'll look into the cases. i knew they had some electronic cases but i didn't know if the tone rings and all that jazz matched up. thats something for later down the line.
I scored my aam rear for less then what i sold to factory 10 bolt for so that's why i went with the huge guy.
Feel free to let me know if ya want that rear shaft. its about 5ft long. i'm sure its a lot cheaper to have that cut to fit your stuff then have a new one built. I'll just set it in the back of the garage for now.
If you search in the Chevy forum there was a write up on this swap that is extremely helpful. Search 246 to 241 swap. Sorry I can't pull up the link right now, I'm not very computer savy. I'm hoping to end up in the same boat when I sell my 10 bolt. Speaking of which if anyone is interested it's got 3.73(stock Z71 ratio) gears on an auburn LS I'm gonna be selling.
I'm willing to bet you're right on the shaft. I'll shoot you a PM when I'm done playing the Navy game in a few weeks, thanks!

1 - 20 of 752 Posts