Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just so happens that i will be out in san diego from the east coast during the KOH event. My plan is to arrive thursday afternoon and see the full day on friday. not sure yet but i may be comming out by myself. planning on borrowing some camping gear from friends/family. most likely planning on crahing out in my rental car or suv. how does the race day work? from photos looks like everyone camps/parks in the same area. How do you get to differnt locatons on the race course? hike? drive? any other "first time" info would be great!

anyone elese from the philadelphia area headed out?

Thanks everyone.
- Jonathan

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
We had a small rental SUV (front wheel drive) and were able to get over to backdoor & sledgehammer to spectate. It wasn't ideal, but we were able to get around. Since I'm from Louisiana, I'd be too cold to tent-camp at night, but that's just me. All of the campers are pretty localized and close to the start/finish. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
There's a few threads on this subject already but Hammertown is set up on the lakebed which is where all the vendors and racers are. The general public fills up the surrounding areas pretty quick, from there it's wherever you can find a spot. By the time you get there expect it to be a full house.

Most areas you can drive to without 4wd if you know where to go but usually you will be hiking in to see the action.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Just so happens that i will be out in san diego from the east coast during the KOH event. My plan is to arrive thursday afternoon and see the full day on friday. not sure yet but i may be comming out by myself. planning on borrowing some camping gear from friends/family. most likely planning on crahing out in my rental car or suv. how does the race day work? from photos looks like everyone camps/parks in the same area. How do you get to differnt locatons on the race course? hike? drive? any other "first time" info would be great!

anyone elese from the philadelphia area headed out?

Thanks everyone.
- Jonathan
I am from Philly and think I will be out there during this time. Look me up!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
We took my tent trailer out last year. It was cold. But managable.. We made sure to drink enough beers to sleep well. ha. .. In the morning the water bottles were frozen inside the trailer... it gets COLD

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
ONE thing we have no control over---- the weather--

it has been in past years--- cold, wet/muddy, WARM, dusty, calm, W***Y (we don't say the 'W' word---)---, and one time HOT--- this makes a problem when you select your wardrobe----just think of layers of clothing that can be removed/put on accordingly---

there have been times when ice has been GAINED from freezing--- other times an ice chest won't last a day ----

1 - 7 of 7 Posts