Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In all its glory my very first time gear setup. I've read ZUKS site from top to bottom. These are Precision gears in 5.71. I've got a .070 pinion shim and right at .007 backlash. So how do these look? EDIT: damn, I forgot this is going in the front.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Throw it in and go ;)

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
looks pretty good to me ,if your real picky,you could back the pinion up to center more

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
They look good but with 5.71's you will be doing this again soon anyway.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Read this if you think they are so weak:

http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm
I tend to agree with Zuk on the 5.71s. However, I will say that I would only run 5.71s in an A/T rig. The autos are much easier on this stuff.

Oh, and that setup looks great. It is around .003 deep, but I prefer a slightly deep pattern for good tooth contact. Especially in a rear 3rd, and especially with 5.71s.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I tend to agree with Zuk on the 5.71s. However, I will say that I would only run 5.71s in an A/T rig. The autos are much easier on this stuff.

Oh, and that setup looks great. It is around .003 deep, but I prefer a slightly deep pattern for good tooth contact. Especially in a rear 3rd, and especially with 5.71s.
we run the 5.87 on our score class 7 truck 350hp v6 5spd manual and we had been breaking the teeth off about every year and a half... so we started just replacing them annually to save from dnfs.

drive side could be a little better with the .003 shim but the coast side looks perfect already..i wouldnt want to get that any farther way

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
we run the 5.87 on our score class 7 truck 350hp v6 5spd manual and we had been breaking the teeth off about every year and a half... so we started just replacing them annually to save from dnfs.

drive side could be a little better with the .003 shim but the coast side looks perfect already..i wouldnt want to get that any farther way
Coast side actually confirms its a hair deep. But, I like that with the 5.71s.

The reason why I would only run them in an A/T, is because most guys run dual cases with stupid low gearing. 220:1 with only six ring gear teeth just won't last too long. The A/T is much easier on the gears because the torque convertor takes out most of the harsh drivetrain slap. (not that I needed to tell you though):D

In your case, going fast is a little different.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Coast side actually confirms its a hair deep. But, I like that with the 5.71s.

The reason why I would only run them in an A/T, is because most guys run dual cases with stupid low gearing. 220:1 with only six ring gear teeth just won't last too long. The A/T is much easier on the gears because the torque convertor takes out most of the harsh drivetrain slap. (not that I needed to tell you though):D

In your case, going fast is a little different.
yeah very different in a 4k lb 2x truck, most the auto guys are closer to 4.88 cause they only run 3spd autos so if they went with anything higher there top speed would suck.. but like u said whole different ball game here.. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts