Pirate 4x4 banner

First timer

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeepndel 
#1 ·
Hello, I would appreciate any info that you could provide to me about the Rub in terms of ettiquite, etc. It's a ways off but I plan on leading a contingent of Wyoming wheelers to the Con in the summer of 05. We are bunch of seasoned 4wheelers in the 40ish range and plan on having our rigs set up according to what I've read here and other places. While most of us have full size jeeps, several of us are in the process of building cj's etc. I'll be running a locked widetrack, 6cyl cj7. We typically carry enough parts to get us out of trouble and can trail weld as well. What I might be missing in knowledge of the area, I hope to make up for in overall experience. Also, when would be about the best time of the summer to avoid the crowds(if that's possible)?
J2076

#2 ·
Well. I would start by reading everything Del has put toghter in his important stickys............ Sounds like you've got capable rigs. The trail can be done in as little as 8 hours. But I wouldn't advise it. Plan on staying a 2-3 days and take it all in. Best advise I can give you is start at loon and try to hook up with other rigs that can at least lead you through the bowl. If you can't find anyone ( and I hate to say this But, ) just follow the oil trail on the granite. Don't wheel at night, bring lots of spares, food, water, ect, ect.

The best time to avoid crowds would be Memorial weekend... JK,

The trail is pretty busy on memorial, being the snow is usually almost gone and EVERYONE is itching to hit the trail. The con stays pretty busy all summer on weekends, but I would avoid the BIG holiday weekends for sure. The best time to hit the trail is during the week, but your not going to see much action in the box.

MOST people you will meet on the trail are great people and will do anything to help a fellow wheeler out. If you start to see a group of rigs pilling up behind you, just pull over and let them pass.

Oh yea, if your coming from Wyoming, I would try to come in June / July sometime and stay a few extra days and also run Fordyce... It is one of my favorite trails and one of the best in Northern California,. It offers river crossings, great wheeling, great scenery, and less people. It's only about an hour away from Tahoe ( exit from the con )

#3 ·
Hey, thanx for the quick reply Chop.. Hadn't heard about Fordyce, I'll have to investigate that too. That brings up another question. Is there room around the Loon entrance to park your tow rig and trailer, or do they need to move on? I'll stay in a time share at Tahoe, so should be able to bounce around just about anywhere in the vicinity. J2076

#6 ·
It great to hear you're planning a trip in 05! Our crew ran into a group from OK this year. It was their first trip to the 'Con and they had a great time :) When the time gets near and you know your dates, post it up and I'm sure you're be able to hook up with some of us for the run. It helps to have a tour guide on your first visit;)

#8 ·
atowley said:
Hello, couldn't help but notice this thread. Me and acouple wheelin' buddies from Minnesota are making the treck out the last week of June, 04. I'm looking foward to wheeling the trail and meeting the locals.
Be sure to visit the Rubicon Trail Home Page (start at
http://www.delalbright.com)

If you have any questions, drop me a note.
Welcome.
Del

#10 ·
The calendar thread is slow to start. Probably after the first of the year. Remember, the last week of July and the first week of August are reserved for Jeepers Jamboree. Other than that, she's wide open.

Del

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.