Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I ran the rubicon 3 times last summer and noticed all the nice streams and lakes but never took the time to fish them. I have been fishing my whole life and am sure I could figure it out my self but I was wondering what your thoughts are on the best places and techniques to do when I go up there again this weekend. I'm not scared to do a little hike either to get to a better spot:p thanks

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
You are correct, the fishing is good near the Rubicon. Use a map and try your luck. Buck Island is stocked occasionally, and the other lakes are good too. You will find rainbow and the elusive german brown.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I find german browns in my Pett all the time in that area :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
RCKRATZ said:
I find german browns in my Pett all the time in that area :flipoff2:
Corn-Back Rattlers are also up there be careful!!! :flipoff2:

And it it should be "Finless browns"!! :p

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
oh trust me some have fins :laughing:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool and gross x3. doing some searching I read that the best bait was powerbait in the lakes. Does that sound right? Ive never used it for wild trout

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
I don't fish to catch... I fish to kill time. Generally, I just hike to the water, and throw my bait straight in without bothering to put it on a hook. More efficient. :p

That said, some of my buddies have brought some pretty good catch to the fire for dinner... and even if you don't catch any, the little lakes and pockets are always worth the hike. :cool2:

Randii

·
Registered
244 Posts
I fish the area and have found that power bait is a waste of time unless you fish loon. I fish with dry flies. Buck is good with a float tube, but i would recommend getting up into desolation wilderness and the lakes up there If you are in good shape you can hike from buck island up past rockbound to a lake and stream with golden trout in it. Check Ralph Cutter's book on fishing the seirras

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmmm..... thats just what I wanted to hear is something like that. Golden trout is one of only a couple fish from california I havent caught i'll have to look into this spot you speak of

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im in the process of makeing some Aerial/Topo maps of that area..these might help ya out...if you need more let me know...im gonna be fishing that area i n a couple weeks...good luck, and if you fly fish youll get a goldie
Rockbound Laken Onion Flat Topo.jpg

Rockbound Laken Onion Flat Aerial.jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
for goldies i would head to clyde lake by aloha or to leland lake either way its a hike and i would plan on spending the night up there.

·
Premium Member
1989 4Runner
426 Posts
Don't forget that hiking up to Rockbound requires a wilderness permit. I've done it several times without one but with all the enforcement these days I would get one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From what I understand you only need the permit if you are going to spend the night up there. Doublecheck though!

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
You need a permit to go in to the wilderness. Period.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is this different from one wilderness to another? I was just doing some reading on forest service lit. on the wilderness around the Dusy and they specifically say that you don't need a permit if you are only going in for the day.

Dan

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm fairly certain that in the coming years I'm going to need a permit to take a piss in the woods.

Yes, you must have a permit to enter the land that you, the taxpayer and/or citizen own. It is diffferent from wilderness to wilderness.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
afecko said:
I'm fairly certain that in the coming years I'm going to need a permit to take a piss in the woods.
Where do I procure said piss permit?
Is it legal to piss out a fire if you have a fire permit but no piss permit?

·
Registered
244 Posts
you can get one at the ranger station on 50.
Pick up permits for WEST side entry at the:
PACIFIC RANGER DISTRICT
Located four miles east of Pollock Pines on Highway 50.
7887 Highway 50, Pollock Pines, CA 95726
Phone: (530)644-6048
Winter: Weekdays only. Monday through Saturday as of late April.
Summer: 7 days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through October.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/wild/deso/permit/

I have thirty blank ones in my rig for the lazy days that i decide to go in so i dont have to waste gas driving down the hill just to turn around and come back up. (i dont know if that is legal)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts