Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm heading to the con this weekend. I'm gonna have to bring my ugly stick now and see if I can plug a few trout for dinner. :smokin:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Before all the jerks decided to turn the trail into a carnival full of clowns we used to catch 14" fish at spider lake all the time . Do your fishing now before the rest of the lakes become cesspools too.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
rlwjaw said:
Before all the jerks decided to turn the trail into a carnival full of clowns we used to catch 14" fish at spider lake all the time . Do your fishing now before the rest of the lakes become cesspools too.
Man I'm sorry to hear that. Yeh I figure now would be a good time because its still early in the year.

As far as bait goes I've fished Wrights and Dark lake and it seems those little black nymphs that encase themselves in the sand are the best thing to use. I think im gonna try those and see how they work. Those and worms.

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
Lest some greenie come on here and get the wrong idea, I'd like to note that Spider Lake has been subject to intensive testing, and suffers minimal contaminatation. I've eaten fish out of that lake and would do so again in a heartbeat -- Mother Nature is up to the challenge of keeping the lake clean.

The damage around Spider, on the shore, is highly visible and comes from a minority of users who are just IDIOTS. Sawing down trees, driving over vegetation, and tearing up soild... idiocy. That said, Mother Nature will reclaim that, as well, given time.

Randii

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
has any one seen any crawdads in any of the lakes up there?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have caught crawdads at the springs and I heard there is lots in the lakes on the tahoe side. Not sure about Spider and Buck. ;)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Yep, LOTS o crawdads @ the springs.

Just remember, if you catch the fish, eat or release them. Please dont let them go to waist. (BTW, the trout tasts awesome within the first hr of catching them:cool2: )

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
cruzila said:
You need a permit to go in to the wilderness. Period.
It's always been my understanding that you didn't need one for day use, but I found this on the Eldorado NF website:

Desolation Wilderness
Permits
Permits are required year-round for both day and overnight use. There are fees for overnight camping year-round.

Group size is limited to 12 people per party who will be hiking or camping together.

Day users may obtain a free permit from one of the following offices, or may issue themselves a permit at most major trailheads in the summer. During the winter, day permits are available at the Pacific Ranger Station. Day use is not subject to fees nor limited by quota at any time of the year.

QUOTA - During the summer a Quota is in effect on the number of people allowed into the wilderness. Refer to the Zone Quota page for more information.

OVERNIGHT USERS - Must register in person and pay fees at one of the following offices. Please make every effort to to obtain your permit in person during business hours. Reserved permits are now mailed. Changes must be made in person and require the original permit to be turned in.

Pick up permits for WEST side entry at the:
PACIFIC RANGER DISTRICT
Located four miles east of Pollock Pines on Highway 50.
7887 Highway 50, Pollock Pines, CA 95726
Phone: (530)644-6048
Winter: Weekdays only. Monday through Saturday as of late April.
Summer: 7 days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through October.

Pick up permit for EAST side entry at the:
LAKE TAHOE VISITOR'S CENTER
Located three miles north of the Highway 50/89 junction at South Lake Tahoe, on Highway 89.
Call for hours, phone: (530)543-2674
Open summer only.

LAKE TAHOE BASIN MANAGEMENT UNIT
Located two miles east of hte Highway 50/89 junction in South Lake Tahoe on Highway 50. From the highway turn right on Al Tahoe Blvd. and then turn right at first signal.
35 College Drive, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150.
Phone: (530)543-2600

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Bronchole said:
Is this different from one wilderness to another? I was just doing some reading on forest service lit. on the wilderness around the Dusy and they specifically say that you don't need a permit if you are only going in for the day.

Dan
Apparently it does, Dan. News to me, as all the other wilderness areas I've been to did not require a day use permit.

For Sierra NF:
When Is A Wilderness Permit Required?
Wilderness permits are required year-round on the Sierra National Forest for all overnight trips into the John Muir, Ansel Adams Dinkey and Kaiser Wildernesses. Day-use wilderness permits are not required.

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
So if hiker day-use permits are required....
...itstands to reason that 4x4 permits are soon to follow.

IF --and only IF -- we compare apples (Wilderness) to oranges (regular national forest land).

I'll take a wilderness day-use permit for my 4x4, tho. :p There are some old roads I'd like to drive near Rockbound Lake. Yes, that's right -- ROADS in a wilderness area. Who'd-a-thunk?

I'm frustrated with the system that allows roads in a wilderness but prevents 4x4 use of them, yet freely allows multi-use access to the Rubicon Trail, and blames every ill upon motorized recreation... especially when presented with photos of hikers walking through closure areas. :mad3:

Hikers, montain bikers, horsemen, and other users all poop, and I haven't seen any of them carrying a Pett toilet system. To bring this back on topic, they fish, too. :p

Randii

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yeah, I know the road you're thinking of Randii. I've hiked it a couple of times (without permit, don't tell anybody!) and it could easily be driven, with the exception of a couple of trees in the way. It's amazing to me that a huge manmade dam can be in the middle of a wilderness area when it's supposed to be an area untouched by humans. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
244 Posts
the lakes were damed up before they were in a wilderness area. the was a dicussion on this road system here last year

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
memorial day weekend 2001 i caught a 14'' rainbow trout in little sluice. no joke:grinpimp:
hey i have a picture of dave holding a fish in front of the little sliuce i did not know there was two????:flipoff2:

cliff

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
randii said:
So if hiker day-use permits are required....
...itstands to reason that 4x4 permits are soon to follow.

IF --and only IF -- we compare apples (Wilderness) to oranges (regular national forest land).

I'll take a wilderness day-use permit for my 4x4, tho. :p There are some old roads I'd like to drive near Rockbound Lake. Yes, that's right -- ROADS in a wilderness area. Who'd-a-thunk?

I'm frustrated with the system that allows roads in a wilderness but prevents 4x4 use of them, yet freely allows multi-use access to the Rubicon Trail, and blames every ill upon motorized recreation... especially when presented with photos of hikers walking through closure areas. :mad3:

Hikers, montain bikers, horsemen, and other users all poop, and I haven't seen any of them carrying a Pett toilet system. To bring this back on topic, they fish, too. :p

Randii
as far as you know they poop into 6"-8" deep holes and cover them with surrounding ground covering just like others with no p.e.t.t.'s on the south sides of the mountains in dirt near composing trees away from bodies of water and granite.....just like us right? do you have any pictures of violaters pooping? :p

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
NOODLES said:
as far as you know they poop into 6"-8" deep holes and cover them with surrounding ground covering just like others with no p.e.t.t.'s on the south sides of the mountains in dirt near composing trees away from bodies of water and granite.....just like us right?
It just grates on my sense to see the rules implemented with such prejudice. :rolleyes: In low-traffic areas, I'm fine with cat-holes -- but users on Rubicon Trail have sufficient traffic that this isn't a good option. Us 4x4 folks are supporting a more responsible solution -- packing it *ALL* out.

I'd just like to see the agencies enforce the same solution on non-4x4 users as they will be enforcing on us. Hopefully my trail-patrol duties don't find me photographing lawless poopers! :barf:

Randii

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jeepskickass said:
Apparently it does, Dan. News to me, as all the other wilderness areas I've been to did not require a day use permit.

For Sierra NF:
When Is A Wilderness Permit Required?
Wilderness permits are required year-round on the Sierra National Forest for all overnight trips into the John Muir, Ansel Adams Dinkey and Kaiser Wildernesses. Day-use wilderness permits are not required.

So Mike, the FU'ed thing is that the year before last when we went up for our annual trip, Renee and I tried to get a permit to do our day hike. The ranger said "if you are not staying overnight in the wilderness then you really don't need one" This was at some sort of discovery center on the shore of Lake Tahoe. Nice to be misinformed by the people who are supposed to be informed!

So since we can't seem to get to the ranger stations when they are open prior to our trip, I wonder if we can get them by mail?

Dan

·
Registered
544 Posts
fishing buck seems to work good with flies or worms. see alot of smaller trout in the springs and some twelve inchers sometimes under the bridge of the springs. heard the where pullen good size trout out of miller. tried worms but only caught about fifteen of these odd looking fish,i was told they were young northern pike, looked more like a giant minnow.they only measured about five inches or so. sure does'nt sound good for the trout population.

·
Registered
737 Posts
nolan said:
fishing buck seems to work good with flies or worms. see alot of smaller trout in the springs and some twelve inchers sometimes under the bridge of the springs. heard the where pullen good size trout out of miller. tried worms but only caught about fifteen of these odd looking fish,i was told they were young northern pike, looked more like a giant minnow.they only measured about five inches or so. sure does'nt sound good for the trout population.

Did it look this? This is a mountain whitefish, Prosopium williamsoni. I would be very surprised if they were Pike. DFG keeps a very close eye on Pike introductions.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I would not be suprised at all to hear that pike have been intoduced to these lakes. The pike have totally consumed some of the best trout/grayling fishing in Canada. What kind of tard would actually release pike into sierra mountain water system?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts