Pirate 4x4 banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Do a Google search for Lake Davis. They had Pike introduced and then tried to get rid of them by poisoning the entire lake. Everything died, almost, the Pike came back.

Now they're thinking of trying it again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Exactly, doug, that debacle has led to very close monitoring for pike all over the Sierra. Not saying it is impossible that the gentleman was catching pike, but as a fisheries biologist who works closely with DFG, I would have heard about new pike finds.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I caught a photo of a daddy in the springs

I caught a photo of Andy's dad with a line in at Buck

·
Registered
544 Posts
yah thats exactly what it looked like. i was hooking them every two minutes. its to bad they wouldnt leave my bait alone because it would of been nice to have trout for lunch but i just gave up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just FYI, Mountain Whitefish are actually tastier than trout. Fishing for them is more popular in WA and OR than in CA, but there are special flies that exist just for catchin whitefish.

They can geow quite large, but I wouldn't hesitate to cook up a 12 or 14 incher. Yummy.

nolan said:
yah thats exactly what it looked like. i was hooking them every two minutes. its to bad they wouldnt leave my bait alone because it would of been nice to have trout for lunch but i just gave up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
well i probably would have kept them except they all looked to be under the legal size. im not sure what the keeping size is but im positive its bigger than five or seven inches.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Tons of crawdads in Rubicon Springs, never seen any in Buck, Rockbound, or Spider.

Swam in Spider yesterday. It looks like the lake is coming back under Merlin's close supervision. It'll be fifty years before the resource damage on the shoreline is no longer obvious.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I have yet to really understand this thing with pike in cali waters. I grew up in NY and pike are native to the waters and the trout seem to do just fine in the waters there.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
jopes said:
I have yet to really understand this thing with pike in cali waters. I grew up in NY and pike are native to the waters and the trout seem to do just fine in the waters there.

There is no debate that the Pike have had a severe impact on the size and quantity of trout in Lake Davis. Of major concern is the Pike being able to excape Lake Davis and infest the greater Sacramento river system/delta ect ect. Right now they are restricted to a relativly small lake. When and if they ever make it to the delta the battle is lost.

Try asking a similar question at http://www.ncffb.org and I'm sure a number of people well informed on the subject will be more than happy to chime in.

In California the only good Pike is a dead Pike.

Robert

·
Registered
28 Posts
USFS Wilderness Rules

When Is A Wilderness Permit Required?

Wilderness permits are required on the Sierra National Forest for all overnight trips into the John Muir, Ansel Adams, Dinkey and Kaiser Wildernesses. Trailhead quotas (For Quota and Trail Information) are in place year round. A wilderness permit is not required for day hikes into the wilderness areas. By limiting the number of people we hope to provide a true wilderness experience while protecting the physical and biological resources of the land. Late spring, summer, and early fall are typical periods of heavy use in all wilderness areas

41 - 51 of 51 Posts