Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's fab so i need more input then i would get in trailer section..
i just got a flat bed trailer {duel axel, 4" drop,3500#} and one of the tires was leaning i thought it was the berings but when i went to change them i noticed that the frunt axel has been repared befor and the backing flange and spindle was not lined up properly it is off about 1/4" so should i grind it off and reweld it or should i get a new axel.i don't want to try and fix it if the the population thinks it's not safe.. thanx

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
are you a competent welder? do you have a 220volt machine?

will it be a "clean" repair you can trust or a back-yard temp fix?

I'd say go for it............ but you tell yourself, (or take some pics)

to show it here for better analysis...........

if it's a drop axle, where is the spindle welded to the axle tube?

--Sherpa

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
LOL !!! REPLACE IT !!!!!

Dont be one of those people we all pass, busted on the side of the road with some funcky ass trailer problem, that you cant even figure out whats wrong as you drive on past.....

Just think it will give you a great operunity to repack the bearings on that axle....

sorry, struck me funny had to laugh, i chuckly when i see guys using thier skid-steers to lift up the trialer to change a tire, when a short 4x4 post with a 45 cut on one side works just as well..... And a whole lot faster...

-yag

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
larryboy said:
replace the axle they're cheap.
well its a 3"x2"box axel and the trailer place told me it will be $200.00 for the axel with out the break assembly:eek: :eek:the axels now are made of 2x2 or are made diffrent then mine so thay told me it would be more $.if i got a newer axel for $130.00 it would not be the same as the rear by 1/2" or so. my friend has a lincoln 220 and i guess that if tha factury can weld it i can also..

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Replace it.... That axle is trailer booty fab at it's finest. Well... Maybe not. Guy brought a trailer into work yesterday that has forklift spindles welded to 2" schedule 80 black pipe. Still running the two peice wheels, and the industrial tube tires. But, yours is real close!

Get the right shit and stay off of the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Any trailer place should be able to get you a Century axle in any width you want. The problem is with your drop as you are right they use 2" box most commonly. So I'd guess a 1" less drop and/or a 1" block could be ordered since I believe the newer drop axles only come in 2" drop increments. I believe the drop axles are a bit more than $200 though as most 3500 straight axles are around $200 with tax. If you weld this yourself check the otherside with an angle checker as most all axles are cambered so the tires run true at max weight because of deflection.

Jason :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts