Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a almost finished land cruiser and now im swapping in a dana 60 ,14 bolt 5.13 gears and 4 link front and rear with 40 inch swampers just wondering if the stock straight 6 will handle it? i havent driven it so i have no idea how much power the stock motor has so im wondering if it would be worth swapping in a vortec 5.7 or just hold off and run the stock motor
Whats your guys opinion

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The stock motor with a good stock carb is a great off road motor, just not much of a road burner, especially pushing 40s

Oh yea:flipoff2:Welcome Newbie:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It depends on how you plan to use it. If you're going to trailer it and run rock crawling trails, the stock motor is a good choice. If you're going to drive it all the time and to/from trails, or run mud bogs, then you want more horsepower.

My .02 and welcome :flipoff2:

Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys
I will probably be trailering it but hit the ocasional chunk of road between trails
Being from the interior of BC we do a real combination crawling mudding little bit of everything so it might need a little power
So is there any performance parts availble to liven up the straight six?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have almost the same set up as you, D60, D70HD, 5.13R/P, ARBs, Stock 1F motor, MTR 40s, 4 speed tranny.

What I can say it runs great 1-3rd gear (0-45mph) its fun with plenty of power for the snow and rocks, havent had it in the sand or mud yet....no comment.
4th gear is a bit slow (50-70mph takes a little time to get to speed on flat ground w/o elevation)

I tow it, but it can be driven on the HWY, but not for any major distances ,seems to really like cruising at 60mph.

I have a Chevy TPI 350 all ready to swap in for 2 years, but the old IRON 1F just keeps on working - only reason for me to swap motors at this point is to get ride of the smoky 1F motor not really a major reason yet since I never run a top:smokin::smokin:
:eek::eek:mines the red junky cruza:eek::eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info letitride
Your cruizer is dope looking to
I think i might just keep the inline 6 and if its not that great do a motor swap later on
Does anyone make a good header cam carb combo for this motor?
Keep the info coming guys

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
check with downey for performance mods to your 6 banger. petronix ignition and a header will make a difference, but it ain't gonna make it into a mud bogger.

welcome to the club. :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts