Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it was about time I took a couple pics of the box I made for the back of our 82.

The outside dimentions are 39" wide, 37" deep and 9" tall. It's made of 3/4" MDF, with 1/2" MDF for the drawer bottom and partitions.

When this rig was the one we used for wheelin and camping the thing was full of tools, spares, cooking, and camping stuff.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's one shot of the mounting hardware.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And another of the mounting. The brackets were designed to use the same mounts as the stock roll bar.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The slides are made by Accuride, teey are 300 pound capacity, full extition.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured out what I wanted to carry at the tme, then measured everything and set the partitions accordingly.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scotttaco said:
Very nice. I take it you made that yourself?
Yep, used to be (will be again real soon here) a custom furniture maker ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Where did you get the slides and how much did they run ya? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
SWEET!!! Man, Mustard Dog, that looks GREAT! Nice job, I like your attention to detail! Couple of questions, what made you decide on MDF over plywood? Easier to work on? Wouldn't you be worried that it would warp in time? I like your tie downs, I got a bag full of those that I scored on Ebay a few years ago and I've been saving for something like this....

Looks like you even routed the edges of the drawer front, nice!

This is very inspirational, I've been wanting to do something like this ever since I saw Triple J's about 4 years ago, but I've never had the confidence to do it myself. Maybe I'll try, worst case scenario I'll bugger up a few sheets of MDF before I get it right, and I finally have the tools to do it!

Also, what are the specs (dimensions) for the Accuride slides? Any good place to get them?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
That box is great! I need to figure out something for the back of mine...might use that as a starting point. How much are the sliders?

Off topic, but is that a climbing rope in the third pic?

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the slides from a company called Louis&Co. they are a huge supplier for cabinet hardware. As i recall they were around $70 for the pair. They are around 3" tall, 1/2" thick, and 36" long.

I chace MDF becaise it's dimentionally stable, has no voids, and is a consistant thickness all the way through. I would have rather used Baltic birch ply (which has all the good charicteristics of the MDF, but much stronger) but it costs three times the amount of MDF.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cruiserbrett said:
Off topic, but is that a climbing rope in the third pic?
Yep. I always carry rope, harness, carabiners, and a couple 8's in my rig. You never know;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mustard Dog said:

Yep, used to be (will be again real soon here) a custom furniture maker ;)
Eric,
Dude, where is the edge banding on those dividers? You have to finish it off to make it look purty. :flipoff2:

Seriously though, it is really sweet.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
74_Chevota said:
I like! Do ya mind if i ask ya how much it cost for eveything in the end??;)
About 70 for the slides, 30 in MDF, and probably 40 for the nice hardware on the front. The carpet was only a few bucks, and a few more for the paint.;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Very nice!

Now, for the super-dumb question......(insert drum roll here)...

Whats MDF?

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
now how is all that crap supposed to fall out when you roll the mustard mutt?!:flipoff2:

looks great!;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Awesome work Mustard Dog, it looks great!
I can't imagine how anyone can live without a heavy duty drawer. No need to unpack to get at tools and spares!

Also, what are the specs (dimensions) for the Accuride slides? Any good place to get them?
Check this out:
Accuride Drawer Slides
listed online at $130 and I remember paying $150-160 (I have two cruisers and two drawers), Mustard Dog's price of $70 us a killer deal!

Here's another nice dual drawer set up in an 80 Series. Excellent write-up with dimensions, material list etc...
http://beast.silentage.com/Drawers_gallery.html

If you dig through my old web pages you'll find my plans for my FJ60 and FZJ80.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Cracker said:
Very nice!

Now, for the super-dumb question......(insert drum roll here)...

Whats MDF?
Medium Density Fiberboard.

Basically sawdust glued together to make a piece of plywood. Made all my garage cabnets out of it.

I have a q for ya... home depot has similar sliders for $25 a pair, and they are i think 26" long. And disadvantages to using the home depot ones?

Garrett

1 - 20 of 25 Posts