Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for my brother, so bare with me.

He has a '69 FJ-40 that he preformed a disk brake swap on, a while back. The problem he is having is that the tie rod ends keep causing problems. Right now he is using the stock FJ-40 ends, with some spacers to take up the extra slack. Do the truck tie rod ends have the same thread size and pitch as the FJ-40?

He is using the stock style cross over steering, and really can't afford to spend too much $ to get it working, so any help would be great.

Thanks

Jody

·
Registered
888 Posts
Toy4Runner man,
He can run the mini tie rod flipped, so the rod end with the hole is on the passenger side. it should adjust to the right length, it did for me. he will have to shorten his relay rod though.
IIRC, the 40 rod ends have small tapered ends, but big threads.
the mini ends have larger tapered ends, but small threads.
FJ60 ends have the large tapered ends that fit the mini arms, and the larger threaded ends of the 40.
HTH
Pygpen

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
It depends on the year of the minitruck -- early TREs were 17mm and the later models (84-86 IIRC) were 21mm. LC TREs will not fit a minitruck arm properly. The taper is the same but the pin diameter is smaller on the Cruiser TRE.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Exactly! He's trying to run the 40 ends with spacers and thats were the problem is. He needs to switch to the later mini ends, idealy ther stronger ones Medusa mentions, or the J60 ends. Pygpen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts