Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving by a trailer storage area yesterday and found a Derelict Fj-45 long bed sitting in between a couple of old airstreams. It doesn't appear to have any visible rust, but I was a good 15 feet away at the time. I'm thinking about asking the owner about it. What do these sell for, assuming it doesn't run, but is in decent shape. I really don't know much about them except that they are one of the coolest looking trucks ever made. any info would be great. Also what to look for on it, etc. Thanx

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Where exactly did you say it was ? :D

Just buy it now and ask about it later !

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Judging from the recent market, it's worth less than people think, I think Butch is right on the money. If it's missing the tailgate, deduct 20-25%, headache bar is always a plus.

With an FJ45 the drivetrain is of no concern, what's important is that all the unobtanium parts (cab, roof, bed, tailgate, headache bar, unique hardware) is all present and accounted for. That's all you care about and that's how the value is calculated.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Deep South Cruisers said:
Let me ease your mind and pickup that FJ45 for you.....
you don't want it....
they are junk.....
now gimme that phone number:D
Hey that's my line dammit! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I don't know what you mean by a headache bar, but it does have that metal deal that covers the back window and such from stuff in the bed going through it, I assume thats what you mean. I'll try to find out more info on it. Is the tailgate really that valuble? Is is just because they are scarse or were you guys just messing with me?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Like I said, FJ45's are a funky market, all Cruiserheads love them but generally stay away from them when they come to market unless they're a steal. If there's any rust, people tend to run, because nobody makes replacement panels for them and getting them fixed can be expensive.

The tailgate is relatively valuable. That doesn't mean you're going to get $1,000 for one, but you could theoretically get $500 for a very clean straight one. The problem is that an FJ45 WITHOUT a tailgate loses 20-25% of its value, they're just not available and few people want to mess with an FJ45 project with the tailgate already missing.

If I came across an FJ45 that was straight and rust free I'd snag it in a second, but NOT if I expected to make money on it. FJ45's are labors of love, not investments.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know of a 64 SWB(?) 45 that is near me.... very rusty, needs complete restoration, 60k miles.... Never been titled, the dealer used it for a shop truck... you could be the first/original owner of a 39 year old truck.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Last weekend I was in south lake Tahoe, I saw this yellow fj45 for sale. I stopped to take a look at it :eek:. it had a bed off of a ford courier or something, spring over, no shackle reversal, no front driveline, 350/sm420. The paint I could have done better in my backyard, the front bib/fenders did not line up for $hit. He was asking 13k:confused:, he told me he had a standing offer for 10.5k, I just walked away.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
the one in the storage lot has been there for many years, ****** tried to buy it a few years ago, when the guy actually had 2 of them there and was able to get one, but the left over one has a $4k price tag on it from what i remember. not really worth it.:(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I paid 4k for my 67 fj45 long bed last spring, came with a 2f(best running 2f I have ever driven or heard) a full floater rear axle, good body, cab is very good, tub is great, bed is OK, tailgate is marginal(but fixible) missing headache rack(but found one for it) mostly orignal faded blue paint. I would say it was in a good or better shape(in some ways) as Nolens. But I still dumped a ton of $$ into it. Disc front end(added booster ect) OME suspension and SR, new trany/t-case, all new steering bits, new raditor and all coling bits, rebuilt rear end(added ARB to rear) tires/wheels, new doors and weather striping, ect ect ect....and I still need to do the body. Frame is pretty good, a slight bit of delamintion on rear spring hangers......need to fix this. I still have 5k+ to put into it, I will be into it 15k+ I bet by the time I'm done(are they ever really done?)

It's the 45 that is SOR catolog page 162, the doors said Stihl(chainsaw) , came from Napa CA in the late 90's, even have pics of the origianal owner :)

I think it was an OK buy and I have no regretts I LOVE 45's and have wanted one for 20+ years.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Buick Riviera GS, 78 FJ40, 82 FJ60, 87 Samurai, 00 Tundra, 07 Tundra CM 4x4, ‘21 Rivian R1T soon!
257 Posts
I like the pickups, but the wagons are what get me. If i could find a decent one that someone hadn't already chopped up or use to haul lead balls around, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

All the ones i've seen are either trashed or $20K - or more.

The nicest ones iv'e seen so far are from TLC. Really detailed, totally clean. Even with the chevy drivetrain, all the improvements were done so as not to disturb the original character of the truck.

just my $.02

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Landpimp said:
I paid 4k for my 67 fj45 long bed last spring, came with a 2f(best running 2f I have ever driven or heard) a full floater rear axle, good body, cab is very good, tub is great, bed is OK, tailgate is marginal(but fixible) missing headache rack(but found one for it) mostly orignal faded blue paint. I would say it was in a good or better shape(in some ways) as Nolens. But I still dumped a ton of $$ into it. Disc front end(added booster ect) OME suspension and SR, new trany/t-case, all new steering bits, new raditor and all coling bits, rebuilt rear end(added ARB to rear) tires/wheels, new doors and weather striping, ect ect ect....and I still need to do the body. Frame is pretty good, a slight bit of delamintion on rear spring hangers......need to fix this. I still have 5k+ to put into it, I will be into it 15k+ I bet by the time I'm done(are they ever really done?)

It's the 45 that is SOR catolog page 162, the doors said Stihl(chainsaw) , came from Napa CA in the late 90's, even have pics of the origianal owner :)

I think it was an OK buy and I have no regretts I LOVE 45's and have wanted one for 20+ years.
have you got a closer shot of your rear axle, from that pic it doesnt look FF :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
bubs said:
what r u guys going on about - there is plenty of the 45 FJ / HJ models over here:flipoff2:
We're just jealous:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts