Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a real good deal on a set and was wondering if anyone on the board is using them. I tried a search but I only found on post and it was on rear steer. Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice. How do the birfs hold up comparied to a 79-85 toy axle. Just wondering. I know they are strong but was wondering on a comparison. Are the parts easy to get. Are they the same axle shafts as the Toy pickups? Any info would be great. I know some of you will tell me to go to the Yota board but I would like to hear what the sammi guys have to say about them. Thanks alot TOM

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't quote me, but I believe the Crusier birfs are bigger. Bob works at a Toy dealer, and I remember Bob saying the FJs are larger. But might be the full size FJs.

I do know that when they come in, he usually recommends new CVs (birfs). If you drive a CV on the road a long time, the balls wear a goove. You know, don't want that. ;) So he's collecting a pile of "used" FJ axles, along with some Mini-trucks.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Yep the birfs are bigger.....one downside is the ground clearence is better on the the truck axles...but the upside is the rear is offset to the pass side :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm putting a set under my current project... Get em and run em.

You guys really should do a search of the LandCruiser section here to get your facts straight...:D :flipoff2: :D

FJ60/2 axles use the EXACT same birfield as the 79-85 MiniTruck.

The front short side inner is the same as the FJ40.
The front long side inner is the same as the minitruck.

Chromo front inners ARE available, do a search. Actually i think rears are too...

MiniTruck high steer arms bolt right on.

The diff is bigger, but you get the bigger, stronger ring and pinion with that as well. ALL FJ60/2 3rd members have the fine spline pinion. Stock FJ60 gear ratio is 3.70:1.

Full float rears are available, but they were NOT commonly supplied to FJ60's imported into the USA. Some are available from Canada, or through some vendors that import them from Australia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts