Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me if the fuel pump on a '88 FJ62 should run constantly with the key on but the engine not running ?

Thanks Everyone
Keep Cruising :D

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
If it is like the domestic cars I work on daily....they come on 3-5 seconds to pressurize the line, then shut off, some use an oil pump switch to turn it back onm I'm almost certain it should be the same way.
Butch

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
VA.CRUISER said:
Can someone please tell me if the fuel pump on a '88 FJ62 should run constantly with the key on but the engine not running ?

Thanks Everyone
Keep Cruising :D
no it should not. Can you hear it running? Actaully I don't think I have ever actaully heard either my fj80 or fj62 pump run......now I gotta go listen for it!

Did it just start doing it? or did you just buy the 62 and it came like this?

John H

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Texican and Landpimp for the replies.

I just bought this cruiser a week ago and it has done this from the beginning but it just didn't seem right for it to keep running I was comparing it to my '97 Chevy Truck like Texican said it turns off after a few seconds. The pump sound is loud enough to hear with it running (no radio)yet.

Thanks Again this is going to be my DD

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
VA.CRUISER said:
Thanks Texican and Landpimp for the replies.

I just bought this cruiser a week ago and it has done this from the beginning but it just didn't seem right for it to keep running I was comparing it to my '97 Chevy Truck like Texican said it turns off after a few seconds. The pump sound is loud enough to hear with it running (no radio)yet.

Thanks Again this is going to be my DD
Sounds like my fj55, the PO put an aftermarket fuel pump in, mounted on the frame, he wired it so that when the key is on but not running the pump always runs.....same as yours, I have been meaning to re-wire it right but.....ya know, just never got aroiund to it:rolleyes:

I don't even know if a in-line aftermarket pump(like on my 2f) would even work on a 3fe, leaving the original(dead) pump in the tank....hmmmm....anyone knowquestion: I suppose it would

If not I can't think why it would run all the time, what would the PO have been trying to acomplish or fix or work around or?

John H:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Landpimp the pump is still in the tank. I forget to mention that but I did check for a aftermarket in-line but no luck :confused:
Any ideas unless its wire to the switch like you said I was thinking that but havin't checked.

·
Banned
471 Posts
About fuel pump wiring

If you need to replace the pump, I guess you know that you can drop the tank and replace the pump alonee, seperate from the sender and such. But you do have to drop the tank. The 60's have an access panel in the rear floor for the level sender, but they also have mechanical fuel pumps. The in tank pump for the 62 is not accessible through the floor, so drop the tank.
Otherwise you could use the existing wiring from the top of the tank and lengthen it or whatever, find a 32-35 psi in-line pump and let it be controlled via the existing wiring. I personally think that would be a lot more work. but it is an option. Oh, the pump is not supposed to be audible from in the cab. You can slightly hear them from under the vehcle. So, what has probably happened is you either have some crap caught on the pre-filter causing the pump to run dry and loud. (But it would usually cause a runability problem.) Or you have a pump that is severely worn and the tolerances internally are way out of spec causing the pump to scream. More than like ly from being wired wrong and running all the time!!

Any further questions or specs, just pm me.

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey kruzrtec,

I send you a Pm :D

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
it sounds more like the bearings in the pump have gone bad and the pump itself is worn and can not keep pressures so it keeps on running
and I have not been able to find and aftermarket pump that fits in the 62 tank hole so it probably is just a worn out pump trying to keep pressure and now you hear it loud and clear and it is staying running
just like what was said earlier the pump is controlled by a pressure switch and when the pressure cant be kept up the pump continually runs

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
smtyblt said:
just like what was said earlier the pump is controlled by a pressure switch and when the pressure cant be kept up the pump continually runs
No no no. There is NO pressure switch in the AISIN (Toyota) EFI system for the fuel pump. You are thinking of the Bosche setup and similar. My VWs could "prime" the injectors by turning the key to "Run", wait a few seconds, and you'd hear the fuel pump run then quit. Then hit the starter and they'd start right up. But the earlier Toyota EFI system doesn't work this way.

I have the FJ62 electrical diagram here in front of me. There are 2 things that must happen to get the fuel pump to run: the EFI Main relay must close, and the "Circuit Opening Relay" must close (they're wired in series). The EFI relay is closed when you turn the key on and wake up the EFI ECU. The Circuit Opening Relay is closed under 2 conditions: 1) you are cranking the engine, or 2) there is sufficient air moving thru the air box to close the contact in the MAF sensor, moving the flapper inside. Once these conditions are met, the fuel pump runs continuously. Pressure is maintained in the fuel rail by a simple mechanical regulator, excess pressure is sent back to the tank via the return line.

The MAF switch is a safety measure in the system, so that when the engine stops sucking air, the fuel pump automatically shuts off.

If your fuel pump is running all the time even when the engine is not running, then there's something wrong with the wiring. Probably somebody jumpered +12V to the Circuit Opening Relay, it's located behind the passenger side kick panel. The Main EFI relay is located on the inner fender under the hood, just behind the air filter canister.

Cripes. Even on Spring Break I still have to teach a class... :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Lesson #2: Locate the Diagnostic connector on the firewall, it's just below the wiper motor, in the passenger side. Pop the cover open, unbend a paper clip, and jumper across the +B and FP connectors. Then turn the ignition key to ON (don't start the engine). Properly wired, this will force the fuel pump to turn on. Pull the paper clip out, it should shut off.

Yes, this will be on the final exam.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK KLF
you were right about the circuit open relay. It must have went bad and the PO zip tied it down causing the pump to run everytime I turned the switch on. So does anyone know where I can find one other than Toyota :eek: $$$ I've checked with Napa,Advance and Autozone but no luck yet :(

Hey kruzrtek I sent you a e-mail but no reply yet :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts