Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some info on swapping in a fj80 front . I have one coming , I plan on using a low pinion for now and i'll upgrade later . I am using leafs for the suspension . My main concern is steering as they are behind the axle on the 80's plus there is a lack of solid mounting pads for any kind of beefy steering arms it seems to me . I know some of you are running this axle , input would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I didn't even know you could get a low pinion FJ-80 front end. Or did you get everything but the third member, and are swapping in yours?

Only the tie rod is behind the axle. The drag ling link still hooks up in front of the axle. Have you even seen one of these axles? I seem to remember hearing or reading about some hy-steer arms for these axles, but not sure. I know the steering arm come from the bottom of the knuckle.

Now I'm gonna say it anyway, SEARCH. I'll be nice and provide you with a start.

Here's some pics of a good one, HERE
Search for Bjowett, he is the one that did the swap in the above link, and posted a lot about how he did everything on this board.

Here's one, but not a Yota, HERE

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i my self looked into this swap. the junkyard guy who was trying to sell me the axle at a grand said it was the"hot " item. i have since not seen anyone else do it. there must be a reason. if it looks tough it may be too tough and not worth the cost. i heard a rumor about a guy in salt lake that welded up a toy dana hybrid for 250bones:eek: and all the customer did was supply the weld on knuckles

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do the FJ80 swap..!! There are a few of us running them now and they are great axles..

Talk to Rick at OTT about the steering.. I worked with OTT and they designed the first Highsteer arms for the FJ80. Very beefy and very nice..

It is some work to do the swap, but wider axle, way bigger birfs, etc, etc.. Plus Bobby will turn the FJ80 birfs into Superbirfs too. (I just got mine back)..

If you have any questions on the swap send me a message...

Later

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another option for steering is to do what the aussie guys do and get hjz-75 knuckles. If I remember correctly they are mini truck knuckles but on a landcruiser axle that is mini truck width(the axle on the hjz-75), so you can use all the toy hysteer arms.

Maybe one of them will chime in.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Canuckbuzz said:
Do the FJ80 swap..!! There are a few of us running them now and they are great axles..

Talk to Rick at OTT about the steering.. I worked with OTT and they designed the first Highsteer arms for the FJ80. Very beefy and very nice..

Yeah, that's who I heard was making them. I'd like to get my hands on a set of those. My axle will be here in a couple weeks, and i think i need to spend more money. How much did those cost ya? I'd guess a pretty penny for the first set.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
projectcrawler said:
Another option for steering is to do what the aussie guys do and get hjz-75 knuckles. If I remember correctly they are mini truck knuckles but on a landcruiser axle that is mini truck width(the axle on the hjz-75), so you can use all the toy hysteer arms.

Maybe one of them will chime in.
I thought the 75 series birfs were sized in between the 40/60/mini and the 80 series? Would be cool if they were the same as 80s.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Daveyclimber said:
I need some info on swapping in a fj80 front . I heav one coming , I plan on using a low pinion for now and i'll upgrade later . I am using leafs for the suspension . My main concern is steering as they are behind the axle
Not sure if you're planning on keeping the rear tie-rod, but you can't use a low-pinion with it. You'll need to get the OTT arms if you're going low-pinion.

--Dan

·
Registered
248 Posts
jesselt said:

Yeah, that's who I heard was making them. I'd like to get my hands on a set of those. My axle will be here in a couple weeks, and i think i need to spend more money. How much did those cost ya? I'd guess a pretty penny for the first set.
They were enough anyways. Not 100% sure what Rick is charging others now. After they did my set they realized all the work involved so I think the price went up..

Also please note I had to send my knuckles into OTT too so they could machine them for the 3rd stud (Using the ABS hole). OTT also makes two slightly different versions of this arm depending on if you have ABS knuckles or not..

I have some pics of the other version, I'd have to find them though..

And I think you're correct Drew, the 75 knuckles are two small for the 80 axle. I seem to remember reading this somewhere too..

Later All

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
75 series birfs are the same size as late model 40's, 60's and minis. 79 series (replaced the 75 series) might be bigger, but I'm not sure, they're somewhat oddball (5-lug pattern) and tough to find in this country, dunno that I would trust running an oddball front axle on a hardcore wheeler. Break something serious and you're down for weeks/months.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
60seriesguy said:
75 series birfs are the same size as late model 40's, 60's and minis. 79 series (replaced the 75 series) might be bigger, but I'm not sure, they're somewhat oddball (5-lug pattern) and tough to find in this country, dunno that I would trust running an oddball front axle on a hardcore wheeler. Break something serious and you're down for weeks/months.
Theoretically the 79 birfs should be bigger, since they are the same axles in the 105 series axles. Not sure if they're the same size as the 80 series. The 105/79 axles aren't going to be easy to find in this country, but there's 80s out there....

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
60seriesguy said:
until 1989 you are correct from there the FZJ/HZJ7x series had upgraded birfs, larger than stock 40 series birfs, the 5 lug pattern came in 1998 (so 8 years with a 6 lug pattern) AND these guys are talking about using the knuckle, not the entire outer assemble, maybe they could fit thier hubs and stuff onto it

If anyone on here has the low-down on this type of swap it will be ruff....the original idea was what he told me, until then it had never even entered my mind, although I was sure he looked at a few types and found it not feasible, for one reason or another

also the OTT high steer looks good and beefy, but it takes the spot of your ABS sensor, which may or may not worry you!

The FZJ80 ALL had high pinion, and to "swap in" a low pinion, can be a fun job, as two of the studs wont line up, best to do it right, and take your time!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
BJ On Roids said:

until 1989 you are correct from there the FZJ/HZJ7x series had upgraded birfs, larger than stock 40 series birfs, the 5 lug pattern came in 1998 (so 8 years with a 6 lug pattern) AND these guys are talking about using the knuckle, not the entire outer assemble, maybe they could fit thier hubs and stuff onto it

They went to larger birfs when they put the high pinion diff in. Smart!

Stronger birfs, weaker thirdmember! (before the mini guys get upset, the HP diff is great unless it's in a 7000# Cruiser)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C'mon Drew , I know you are or were doing this swap . Care to share some details ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hate to say it, but I didn't get any further than cutting off the coil mounts and welding on new steering stops before I put the axle back in storage.

:D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your input Drew . Change your mind on axle choices ?How is your runner coming ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Nope, no changes to the buildup plans.

Just a lack of motivation to work on the rig when the mountain bike and surfboards are sitting there ready to go!
:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
80 Swap

Cannuckbuzz is correct that OTT probably raised the price. I know they raised it even higher once they finished my steering arms.

Cannucks arms are for an axle with ABS and mine is without. So at least there are set-up to do both now.

To me, it was a worth while swap, as well as adding the Taco rear end.

FJ-80 Swap

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks rochmpr , this is usful info I need . How much did your arms cost ? Did you send in your knuckles for mods or did a local machine shop do it ? Mine will not have the abs port .

·
Registered
188 Posts
Knuckles

Yes, I sent my knuckles to OTT. The did all the work and when it showed up, all I had to do was slap it all together and the project was drivable.

The hardest part is getting a hold of OTT. Rick's number is (604) 764-7871.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts