Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys just wanted to jump in on your board and ask how strong are the Toyota FJ80 Axles from and 94 Cruiser? These axles already have the electric lockers and disc brakes. I am looking at installng these on my 89 Land Rover and I was looking for some pros and cons from the experts, so any feedback would be great!!!

Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
They're plenty stout, and hold up to low gears, big blocks, and 37s. The rear is a full floater (discs from '93 on) and they're high pinion designs. The birfields in the front axle are nearly twice as large as prior Toyota birfields. The electric lockers tend to gum up with lack of use, but occasional activation prevents this, and the cleanup is easy to do externally. Also, in an emergency the lockers can be manually locked and unlocked from under the vehicle with 10 minutes of work.

Be advised that adding a Toyota part won't keep your Rover from leaking oil, puking up parts, or exorcise its electrical demons........

IdahoDoug

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
IdahoDoug said:
They're plenty stout, and hold up to low gears, big blocks, and 37s. The rear is a full floater (discs from '93 on) and they're high pinion designs. The birfields in the front axle are nearly twice as large as prior Toyota birfields. The electric lockers tend to gum up with lack of use, but occasional activation prevents this, and the cleanup is easy to do externally. Also, in an emergency the lockers can be manually locked and unlocked from under the vehicle with 10 minutes of work.

IdahoDoug
Close, the rear axle is NOT a high pinion.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Depends on what the plans for the axles are. If this is for a rock-crawling buggy that's going to be pushing BIG tires (as in 38"+), it might be a toss-up between 80 series axles and domestic big boys like D60's. The front 8" differential would be considered the weak link of the 80 Series axles, and that's really only if you're moving really big tires or massive amounts of torque.

Anything 37" tires and below, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better upgrade in the US-spec Toyota market.

Be advised that Toyota parts in general are fairly expensive (gear sets, for example), but since you're a Rover dude, you're probably as used to it as we are.

One more thing. I don't think you can run 15" rims with 80 Series axles unless you go with a goofy offset, so plan on having to run 16"+ rims. Don't know if this matters, but you probably wanted to know.

Oh, and US-spec 80 Series front axles will have drive plates instead of manual hubs because the trucks come full-time 4WD from the factory. I presume you can upgrade these with Hilux (Toyota mini-truck) hubs, but you'll have to ask those smarter than me.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
60seriesguy said:

One more thing. I don't think you can run 15" rims with 80 Series axles unless you go with a goofy offset, so plan on having to run 16"+ rims. Don't know if this matters, but you probably wanted to know.

I ran 15s on the '91 FJ80 we had before;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
15" was stock for 1991-1992, but when they went to the FF rear and 4-way disks, they went to 16" rims and the 15" rims won't fit.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Mustard Dog said:

I ran 15s on the '91 FJ80 we had before;)
91-2 fj80 with rear semi floater can take 15" wheels, but when you go 93+ and it has the rear FF(some 93's are still SF with drums) with rear disc 16" are needed or grind the rear calipers a bit to fit, front 91-97 not a problem w/15" .

Only problem the fronts 80's have is in reverse and locked, the pinion(I think) can blow, I haven't had a problem with mine and have had it for 8 years, and I can't say I have heard of it happening more than a handfull of times. I would really say it's not an issue.

John H

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
I stand corrected:D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
16" rim is correct. Found out the hard way, just put a 3" lift on a buddies 94 FJ80. I think Landpimp is right though, you can probally shave a bit off the caliper and get by with 15's. My .02

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not smarter than you, Henry, 'specially not about things Cruiser. You can use Hilux lockouts instead of the driveplates. Occasionally someone feels the need to get rid of the fine full time set up and go to part time for the incremental fuel mileage gain and the subject comes up.
e-lockers are the shizznit. They work great if you use em and are an easy repair when they get sticky because of lack of use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brian,

Thanks for the correction - didn't mean both. Also, the pumpkins have nice welded rings around the drain plugs for rock dragging and the steering gear is nicely tucked behind the axle. There are also elevated vents, which can be extended easily. While it's out, slap new inner axle seals in it, new knuckle bearings, and swap the birfields side to side for longer life. I understand there is also an upgraded roller bearing for the spindles vs the stock bushing if you're going to really beat on it.

IdahoDoug

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Ballard said:
Not smarter than you, Henry, 'specially not about things Cruiser. You can use Hilux lockouts instead of the driveplates. Occasionally someone feels the need to get rid of the fine full time set up and go to part time for the incremental fuel mileage gain and the subject comes up.
e-lockers are the shizznit. They work great if you use em and are an easy repair when they get sticky because of lack of use.
or just run one manual hub and one drive plate. BTW I think the drive plates are the same as fine spline 40/55 ect run( I ment to compare mine on the 40 to the 80 but spaced)

Gear sets once were expensive(and still are from Toyota) but aftermarket(4.56,4.88) front(rear is same as 40/55/60/62 ect) are now priced like all other Cruiser gears......of course they came out RIGHT after I droped the coin for OEM 4.88's......grrrrrr!

John H

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
IdahoDoug said:
Brian,

Thanks for the correction - didn't mean both. Also, the pumpkins have nice welded rings around the drain plugs for rock dragging and the steering gear is nicely tucked behind the axle. There are also elevated vents, which can be extended easily. While it's out, slap new inner axle seals in it, new knuckle bearings, and swap the birfields side to side for longer life. I understand there is also an upgraded roller bearing for the spindles vs the stock bushing if you're going to really beat on it.

IdahoDoug
Doug, welcome......:flipoff2:

:)

John H

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow!!!,
Guys thank you so much, I will be getting these axles in the next week and will immediately start the build up. From what I gather from you these axles are going to be the trick. I am already running 37" MT/r's and I love the tire size, but the axles just can't handle them completely, I know that I could be very gentle with these tires and probably make the rover axles work, but that would be pointless I think. Will the axles handle 37's with no problem? So My rim size is already 15" so to fit the 15" rims I need to shave the calipers our sell my tires and get new rims and tires, any suggestions? Also I gathered that the rear pinion is not a High off-set is this actually the case? Finally what or which wheel would you suggest I look at getting that works well on rocks and is inexpensive (No Beadlocks)?

Oh, I completely understand by putting Toyota Parts on my truck that the infamous rover headaches will not go away, but I am just like you guys, I love the vehicle and will stand by it to the end!

Thanks Again!!!

Larry H
89 RRC

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Larry I told ya the FJ80 axles were the stuff!!!!!!!!! :flipoff2:

Good luck fitting them on your Rover, hopefully I'll be able to get mine someday if my truck will quit coughing up parts. (Wed night = more rover engine fun:( )

Jon

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
harrellee said:
Wow!!!,
Guys thank you so much, I will be getting these axles in the next week and will immediately start the build up. From what I gather from you these axles are going to be the trick. I am already running 37" MT/r's and I love the tire size, but the axles just can't handle them completely, I know that I could be very gentle with these tires and probably make the rover axles work, but that would be pointless I think. Will the axles handle 37's with no problem? So My rim size is already 15" so to fit the 15" rims I need to shave the calipers our sell my tires and get new rims and tires, any suggestions? Also I gathered that the rear pinion is not a High off-set is this actually the case? Finally what or which wheel would you suggest I look at getting that works well on rocks and is inexpensive (No Beadlocks)?

Oh, I completely understand by putting Toyota Parts on my truck that the infamous rover headaches will not go away, but I am just like you guys, I love the vehicle and will stand by it to the end!

Thanks Again!!!

Larry H
89 RRC

37's, I think you will be fine with 37's, lots of guys run them on 80's, I have been running 35's for years and would not hesitiate(if I had the power) to run 37's.

rear pinion is NOT a high pinion.....it the same(in this respect) as all other Cruiser rear ends. Front is high pinion, reverse rotation and smaller than the rear.

15's will fit(depending on your backspacing I imagine) the front with NO grinding, rear will need caliper grinding or 16" wheels, I have never ground the rear calipers so I don't know how much needs to come off, others have done it though. I would fit what you have 1st and see what it takes to make the 15's fit, if you don't like/want then look for new wheels/tires.

John

·
Registered
678 Posts
Do us a favor and shoot a pic or two when you can to let us see what you had to grind in the rear to fit 15's. I'm getting ready to do this myself mainly just due to the better rubber selection.

THANKS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts