Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for these newb questions... :shaking:

I want to put an FJ80 front in my 85 'Runner. I have a hy-pinion ARB that will go in it.

- Would and FJ60 front work the same? Different dimensions?
- I'm wondering if I need to get a non- e-locker front or if it matters.
- Will a 9.5" rear third bolt-in with a steering change?
- Brake system match up with the '85's braking?

Thanks for the help!

Jordan

·
Registered
353 Posts
They are both different..

FJ60/62:
58 WMS
9.5 Ring Gear
Can you use mini knuckles and brakes

FJ/FZJ80
63" WMS
8" Hi Pinion diff
Very Few options for Hysteer and leafs will get the way of factory steering
Use larger birfs and knuckles

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! So the FJ60/62 CAN'T accept a 8" hi pinion?

·
Registered
387 Posts
No, the 8" will not fit. Spline count is similar, so an adapter could be built. I've never seen one. Why not just use a mini front? It'd be much cheaper than the 80 or 60 series front. You could use a the hi pinion 8" in a modified housing from a mini which is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the 8" will not fit. Spline count is similar, so an adapter could be built. I've never seen one. Why not just use a mini front? It'd be much cheaper than the 80 or 60 series front. You could use a the hi pinion 8" in a modified housing from a mini which is probably your best bet.
I'm just looking for a little more width without using gigantic spacers or IFS hubs on my mini front. I think I'll just run what I've got until I do my homework and figure out exactly what I want.

Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
387 Posts
No need to modify the mini housing the high pinion will bolt right up.
I guess I didn't read his question carefully. ARB.

I was assuming an E-locker. So, for my information, if he were to use an e-locker there would be a mod needed right? to fit the actuator. I guess I've never looked that closely at a 80 series locker, but I always assumed they were similar to the rear taco elockers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts