Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 92 fj-80 w/ 240k on it, and it has got to be the biggest turd. No power, no exeleration, and worst gas milage than my 454 suburban. Has anyone done a v-8 swap? which tranny? do you keep the all-wheel drive t-case?
I've done alot of vortec 5.7 swaps in the past couple of months. All into cj,yj, or fj-40's but not an 80. I would rather have a chevy vortec v-8 w/ the 4l60e and adapt a part-time t-case to it.
Any info. would help. thanks, chuck
P.S. I did search it before posting and found nothing.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
i haven't heard of it, but everyone i know has been satisfied.... post some pics during the build.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It's been done. I don't know with a Vortec, but V8 conversion parts are available from Marks 4WD through Advanced Adapters. Jeff Jones in CO drives an FJ80 with a 350, he's been running for a long time now. You might want to post this question on the 80 series section of IH8MUD, it's a pretty big forum and I know there's at least a couple of guys there that have done the conversion.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
A buddy of mine ran an lt1 to the stock trans in his fj80. It was amazing. It is fully do-able. Good luck, post pics

·
Read Only
353 Posts
A buddy of mine ran an lt1 to the stock trans in his fj80. It was amazing. It is fully do-able. Good luck, post pics
Does your friend have a build thread? I've been wondering why more people haven't gone this route with the stock trans but have never gotten an answer.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Nope. And he sold the rig a few years back so I can't help you out with pics. Im not sure why peeps don't do it more often, the stock trans held up fine for him, it was a daily driver

·
Read Only
353 Posts
Nope. And he sold the rig a few years back so I can't help you out with pics. Im not sure why peeps don't do it more often, the stock trans held up fine for him, it was a daily driver
Did the chevy engine bolt right up? Or did he have an adapter made? There's so many commonality's between chevy and yota parts that I'm thinking it can't be that difficult to just bolt a 5.7 right up. That's the thing I'm curious about.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There was an adapter. If you can take a gm anything and bolt it right up to a yota something else without any adapters or mods or nigger rigging id love to know what that combo is.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
There was an adapter. If you can take a gm anything and bolt it right up to a yota something else without any adapters or mods or nigger rigging id love to know what that combo is.
Nice rigging comment...

...Fucking idiot. Its 2013, nobody cares if you have a better tan or suck a dick. Please join the rest of :usa:

Im sure :mr-t: has the combo for you. A right jab and left upper cut

Anyway, a 1/2uz to r150--->23 spline duals or a341 to the same. Inchworm has the parts... Can you make these pigs get 17mpg? They would be the ultimate rig for dd/weekend warrior.

·
Read Only
353 Posts
sm465 tranny to any gm v8 and 90 degree v6.

Marks Australia has the bellhousing adapters. Very simple and straightforward swap if you use the yota transmission.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I have done it. Mines a 1994 with a 5.3l L33 all aluminum motor and 4l60e trans adapted to the stock 80 full time Tcase. It's also fully emissions compliant.

It's my daily driver and yes, it's easily twice as fast as it was stock.

Search mud. There are several build threads the document the process. I posted my build over there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts