Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put mini truck Aisin lockouts on my '97 LC axle. I noticed though that the groove for the c-clip inside the hub is further out than they must be on the mini truck. i.e., I would have needed to use a spacer behind the clip for it to do anything.

I mar-tacked the axles so they don't slide in on their own. I left the clips inside the hub off.

So, anyone else notice this? What'd you do with it?

--Dan

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hubs on the FJ-80

I am running a 91 FJ-80 front axle in my SAS. I swapped in a pair of stock solid axle mini truck hubs with no problem. It was a straight bolt on and replaces the drive flanges. I don't think the 97 axle would be any different.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I am running some LC flanges on my mini axle. Direct swap. I just had to clearance the clip to fit under the dust cap.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I pulled everything apart this morning to re-tack my inner axle and re-pack all the bearings with grease. The martack I put on the inner axle was for the stock carrier and I didn't re-adjust it with the ARB carrier and it leaked at the axle seal and filled the knuckle up with gear oil.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so...

Here's what I'm talking about. The birfield is pulled out where it's supposed to be. You can see the large gap between the groove for the c-clip and the inner part of the lockout. The c-clip does nothing as the axle won't even slide inward far enough for the clip to stop it.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally, I cut a 1/4" spacer to slide over the splines and fill the gap between the clip and the inner portion of the lockout hub. This work great for holding the birfield out, but then I found that with the c-clip on there, the hub dial would not go on all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a depression on the inside of the hub dial, presumable for shaft clearance. But, it's not big enough to clear the c-clip. When the face goes on as far as it can, there's still a gap of over 1/8". With the c-clip left off, there's no problems.

So, any ideas? It's a '97 LC axle and '84 or '85 lockout hubs. I can't remember which at the moment.

For now, I'm running without the clip inside the lockout. The axle can only slide in a little less than 1/4" on it's own before the martack stops it.

--Dan

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Interesting. I have a '95 FJ80 front end, and I just bought mini truck hubs. I have not yet checked to see how they work. I think I will go down to my shop and find out, I'll let ya know what happens with mine.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
Do you have the backing plates on and the gaskets for the spindle. If you are not using the backing plates and spindle gaskets the spindle will go in a bit further and expose more of the stub shaft. I do not run the backing plates but I did cut the bolt hole circle out of it along with the gasket which all together is over .120. which leaves about .120 in play, You do want some play in it!!!:D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OOP'S said:
Do you have the backing plates on and the gaskets for the spindle.
Everything is in there. Not sure what you mean by the backing plate? The disk brake shield? Yes it's in there, but that doesn't go behind the spindle so it's wouldn't change the spindle position without it anyways. The only thing between the spindle and the knuckle is the thin paper gasket.

--Dan

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, I think I've found it. Sorry to be drowning you guys in this, but I think this is the answer.

Looking up axles for the FJ-80 on car-parts.com, a '97 cross-references with parts back to '93. Looking up a '91 only matches '91 & '92. It looks like they changed them.

I also found this on sleeoffroad in the 1993-1994 section:

----------------------
The thickness of the drive plates on the front hubs were increased after April 1994 (build date). The new drive flange number is 43421-60040 and the old one is 43421-60022. This is important since certain after-market birfield joints were based on the earlier birfield. If you try to install an earlier birfield into a later truck, you will not be able to install the circlip on the end of the axle shaft.
----------------------

This indicates that they did indeed make the drive flange and the stub shaft on the birfield longer in '93, which seems to be exactly the problem I have with my '97.

I guess the '91-'92 are a direct match dimensionally for the mini-truck lockout hubs, but with the '93 on you can't run the c-clips as the stub shaft is longer.

--Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.