Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently relocated from Florida to Colorado. Here in the mountains, my 2013 FJ Cruiser is suffering heavy performance losses where it barely climbs passes and steep inclines. It does not like 85 octane gas, and I have to use 91 premium so I can keep rolling. I never had these issues back in FL where I used to run regular 87 octane fuel all the time. I am a bit disappointed with the underpowered engine; therefore I am wondering if a cold air intake is going to boost the performance. I don’t have any modifications, everything is stock, and I am looking for some recommendations for aftermarket CAI. I read that besides the few HP increase the gas mileage improves. Can somebody confirm that?
I have been doing some modest off-roading in the mountains, and, in general, the vehicle is not that bad, but I don’t dare entering technical tracks with the stock Dunlop tires. Here is my next question: what tires would you recommend for the stock 17” wheels. I would like to be able to do occasionally some dry off-roading. I lost my desire to enter muddy tracks since I got stuck in a pond a few months ago in FL. I don’t do rock climbing neither as I don’t think my vehicle has enough clearance.
One thing I realized by running higher octane fuel in the altitude is that my gas mileage improves. Recently I came to a whopping 21.37 mpg where in FL I could never get above 19 mpg.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We put a K&N filter and a River Raider snorkel (more useful for me than an actual CAI), which in the end acts the same as a CAI. There is a noticeable pickup and gas mileage is better. The River Raider is a military style, mushroom cap snorkel that fits on the cowl where the antenna is. You can hear it sucking in the air. Point being everyone I know who runs some form of a CAI loves it and noticed improvements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would get your fj checked out on stock tires it should have plenty of power. Slower than flat sea level driving but my 07 fj on 34s can accelerate up bail pass doing 85.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts