Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that got an FJ a few months ago. He tows a fairly heavy off road pop-up camping trailer with it. He really likes his FJ but is having an issue with the rear springs. He feels he's getting too much squat due to the tounge weight. Is their a way to correct this with aftermarket coilovers or a spring spacer? He doesn't want a lift do to the fact that their older and that might pose a problem in getting in and out of the rig. I'm a Ford guy myself so I'm not sure what the best fix would be. Bottom line is his rear springs are compressing too much with the trailer hooked up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
They can replace the rear coils springs with springs that have a higher spring rate, but are the same length so they don't get any lift. You might try contacting the guys over at ToyTec Lifts to see if they have anything in stock height, but high spring rate. I know at one point they were making some custom springs for FJC and 4Runner owners. The other option would be to call Deaver and have a set of custom coil spring made.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
If a tent camper is overloading the rear it must be really improperly loaded imho.

Airbags for overloads would probably eliminate the squat but that's not the problem. Try weighing the tongue (you may be able to use a bathroom scale), should be 10-15% of Trailer GVWR. Are they filling up the back of the FJC with really heavy stuff?

Someone posted in tow rigs about an offroad tongue design for more ground clearance so if you end up modifying the tongue you may want to include that in the plans.

I'd definately balance the trailer and level the hitch before modifying the FJC fwiw. Maybe you should post this in tow rigs. Also, some info on the trailer would be helpful.

hth

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trailer is a Kimberly Kamper made overseas in Austria or Austraila. I'll try to get the exact weight today. Any air shocks avalible. Thanks for time.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
the stock coils are super soft and easy to destroy.

aftermarket upgrades are direct drop ins... but if you want to do it a different way w/ a progressive coil.. a stock height early bronco front coil is perfect for a little less than 1" of lift. Use a wild horses product or you may get different results.
Believe it or not it'll have the load carrying capabilities desired and still have a great ride.

you can trim down the top floating bumpstop thing and the coil will slide over it then drop right on the factory axle mount too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He ordered some springs from ToyTec. I'll be the one doing the install. Any problem installing these? Don't want any surprises. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
They are super easy to install. Make sure to disconnect the sway bar and watch the tension on the brake lines when you droop out the rear axle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts