Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FJ40/45 Windshield Info

Here's the info on flat Land Cruiser windshields.

1958-1966 FJ40 & 45 pickup. This windshield frame has the vent under the glass. This windshield frame actually ended production in 1965, but ended up on some 1966 Cruisers. THIS GLASS IS STILL AVALIABLE FROM TOYOTA OR YOUR LOCAL LAND CRUISER SHOP.

1966-1974 FJ40 & 45 pickup. No vent in windshield frame. This glass is 1 11/16" taller than previous windshield. No longer avaliable from Toyota, you can buy this from your local L/C shop, or have a local glass shop cut one using your old glass as a pattern.

1975-1984 FJ40 & 45 pickup. THIS GLASS IS STILL AVALIABLE FROM TOYOTA OR YOUR LOCAL LAND CRUISER SHOP.

FJ45LV WINDSHIELD GLASS is not the same as FJ40 or 45 pickups. It is larger in width and shorter in height. Though the glass is flat, the top and bottom edges are not straight like the 40, but have a slight upward cure. It is said that 1963-1966 45LV windshields are the same, and 1967 is a different shape. This will be confirmed at this years Surf n Turf when 45LV's from different years come together. All 45LV windshields are no longer avaliable from Toyota OR local Land Cruiser shops. You will have to have a local glass shop custom cut one using your old glass as a pattern. If you do not have glass in your 45LV, you can pm me and I will send you a paper pattern (just got a masonite template made this week).

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
part number for the early-65 windshield glass is 56111-60011

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
On 45LV's the front window glass changed from frame #25774+

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
what about the different windshield clips / latches that hold the roof down?

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
dr_claw said:
what about the different windshield clips / latches that hold the roof down?
Those don't affect the size of the glass. :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Land Cruiser Junky said:
snip

1975-1984 FJ40 & 45 pickup. THIS GLASS IS STILL AVALIABLE FROM TOYOTA OR YOUR LOCAL LAND CRUISER SHOP.

snip QUOTE]

What's different about these years from the others?

Phil

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
height and width for the change in wipers from top to bottom. Also the taper from top to bottom is different as well. Just a little but different.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Halogrinder said:
sorry, but i just priced out a windshield from my old toyota dealership i worked at, for my 72 fj40....150 bucks, so it can be still bought...
There might be some left at a dealership, but I have been told by 3 local Land Cruiser shops that the '66-'74 windshield has not been manufactured by Toyota for about a year. I have been making this windshield for these shops for about that long. I think they sell them for $75-$80.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Halogrinder said:
they said they had to order it, so its not at the dealer....oh well
only took about a week for my dealer to get it in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am working thru the microfiche on my '67 LV I am seeing quite a few areas that they are delineating a break at frame # fj45-24185 and 6. They are calling the prior parts old. I don't have the '66 microfiche to check and see if they call out the same #'s as a break or not. There are other areas that show other frame # breaks. Talk about using up the last of the production run parts just to get the things to roll out the door.

I have both a '66 and '67 LV sitting here and will take some photos in the morning of the two windshields along with the roof browes and post them up. The '66 is a prior by about 700 frame #'s to what John posted.

A question I am having is it doesn't seem that the frame #'s given to the 45LV (or L) were consecutive but were as they were rolled of the assembly line (along with the 40's) as a complete unit. Is this right or wrong? So there are 40's intermixed within the numbering?

Gene have you made templates for all of the glass or just the windshield. Has anyone used someone to make a set of tempered glass for their rig? Got an idea of cost? How about success?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ground Up said:
Gene have you made templates for all of the glass or just the windshield. Has anyone used someone to make a set of tempered glass for their rig? Got an idea of cost? How about success?
I will have a template for the rear glass next week since I'm bringing one to Georg at Surf n Turf. I am planning to make templates for all of the LV glass, and yes I can cut the side glass from 3/16 raw plate and have it tempered.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
from what I can see, late 66 or and/or all 67's or part way thru 67.. But if I look at my list(from Rick D. I see 66's with higher VINS than 67's I show a 67 with a frame # of 24997 and a 66 with a # of 25544.........so who freaking knows :D

heck I even see a 65 with a frame # of 28205 and a 67 with a 28311.........to funny

I have the 65 fj45LV fisch.....again I forgot about it till I cleaned up the dining room table..........gee ya would have thought Cruiser parts would make a good center piece :D

Land Cruiser Junky said:
John, do you know what year that was?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
my assumption is that GIfu(remember that Gifu not Araco made the 45LV's body) was given a pile of frames........they would make the bodies and grab a frame off the pile in almost no order. I say this because my Jimiwag 64 LV is a 64. But my other64/65 is marked(stamped on plate) 65 on the VIN plate but the frame #(4-) is older than my Jimiwag 64.

I think the 40's VINS dont follow thr 45LV's but maybe the 45swb does.

Ground Up said:
I am working thru the microfiche on my '67 LV I am seeing quite a few areas that they are delineating a break at frame # fj45-24185 and 6. They are calling the prior parts old. I don't have the '66 microfiche to check and see if they call out the same #'s as a break or not. There are other areas that show other frame # breaks. Talk about using up the last of the production run parts just to get the things to roll out the door.

I have both a '66 and '67 LV sitting here and will take some photos in the morning of the two windshields along with the roof browes and post them up. The '66 is a prior by about 700 frame #'s to what John posted.

A question I am having is it doesn't seem that the frame #'s given to the 45LV (or L) were consecutive but were as they were rolled of the assembly line (along with the 40's) as a complete unit. Is this right or wrong? So there are 40's intermixed within the numbering?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I think alot of this issue comes from the fact they may have sat on the dealers lot for a while and ended up sold years later than they were originally delivered to the dealer. I think the brass tag was added by the dealer to reflect the year the truck was sold, as opposed to when it was produced. Thats my theory, in contrast to the random pile of frames to pick from when building one. I think we'll find the body and other changes will run pretty damn consistent with the vin numbers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So here are the photos of the windshields on the '66 (Black) and '67 (White) if any one cares. :flipoff2:

The number thing is a little wierd in that if you look at the beginning and ending numbers in rickd's list that would account for a heck of alot more trucks (even worldwide) than the original 5,000 (WW) #. That is if they ran the No's consecutivley.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts