Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed before, but when I searched a lot of the kits no lonbger are around.

Here is my issue. I have a 69 cruiser that is a cluster of a problem for wiring. I figure it is easiest to just tear it all out and start from scratch. Who has the best wiring kit for a cruiser. It has a small block in it with no smog eqpt. I want to keep the inside pretty clean and stockish looking. I know everyone is going to say wire it from scratch, but that is not an option. I can rebuild a motor, tranny, build a cage, but I can't wire to save my life.

Here is what I found for kits:
Painless http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/wirharkit.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
JT outfitters http://www.jtoutfitters.com/wiring-harness-land-cruiser-fj40-fj45-fj55-p-3965.html

There are a few more out there as well.

Thanks
Dima

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
I did not care for the painless harnesses I've used. In both cases, I pulled them and sold them. One was a body harness for my FJ40, one was a TBI harness.

The harnesses were well constructed. I will not fault Painless there. But their body harness was completely generic and assumed you had good plugs:laughing: The TBI harness assumed you were using a specific TBI setup.

On my FJ40, I started hand wiring before the project got abandoned.

On my FJ55, I did a combination of hand wiring and re-using the stock harness.

I found the hand wiring to be no worse than using the painless kit. And at least with hand wiring you can choose where to route things and where to place things. As an example, the fuse block with painless was forced to be put somewhere.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
I'm a complete electrical retard as well and when I wired my 40 way back when I used the Centech kit and was VERY happy with it.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
i've used the ez kits and they work well. have not used a centech kit but heard good things about them. painfull sawks....

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So is the EZ kit pretty universal? Everything I read on their website does not mention anything about FJ40 specific. Does it really matter?

Thanks
Dima

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
+1 for ezwire. Great service and quality prod.

I put the fuse block behind the clutch pedal.. Ran the wires through the dash and out the normal firewall spot. Did end up about three feet short on wire to the drivers side brake lights. So you'll need to splice in wire at the end or route those wires down the drivers side from the start.

Wiring the cruiser is a lot of work. I soldered all the ends and used GM Weatherpack connectors on mine though. Used relays so no hight current went throught the switches. Took for ever. Was worth it though. Bright headlights and no burnt fuses are nice.

cheers-
Dustin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts