Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a 01 6.0 with a 4x4 4l80 for the swb 45 project. I'm looking for t case options/ideas.

Will a late model 241 work/fit? Anyone have any experience with the electric shift 241?

Do the 4l80's have the same driveshaft clearance problems as the 4l60's?

I'm planning a 9" rear and dana 44 front pass side drop.

This rig is not being built for hardcore use. any ideas appreciated.:D

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I would do a Chevy 208. It is way wide and you will not have clearance problems. Some folks don't like them, but Tom at Sunray puts them in a ton of rigs and they just don't have problems with them.

You can get a factory adapter or you can call them at Sunray and they will hook you up with one they make.

What is the wiring going to be like on that 6.0?

I have one in my Suburban and it is a damn nice engine.

All the stuff Chevy has had since 91 is IFS and pass side drop.

If you want a 241 you need to find a 90-91 Suburban.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
there goes nolen with the 208s again. they suck! at least compared to the 241.
you should have no problems bolting either the 208 or 241 to the back of the 4L80e. factory adapter works on both t-cases, you just have to make sure you have the proper input shaft for the t-case. i might have one for the 241.;)

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
This is basically the setup I am going to use in the 45LWB twin of the truggy -- 6.0L Vortec and 4L80e. I am, however, going to use one of the newer elcectronic shift transfer cases with a driver's side output. I am basically looking for the complete drivetrain to drop in. SInce this will be a daily driver and truggy tow truck I figure to just go completely modern:D :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nolen,

The wiring, from what I understand is close to the 5.7 LS1. I've talked with the guys at Sunray and they can modify the OEM harness or I can get a custom from Phil Wyatt, He did the harness in my orange cruiser, makes a nice harness.

Jack,

Do you know the model # for the e shift case? And The wiring issues involved? Toggle switch or?

Is there a mechanical shift version of that same case?

I want to use a tcase that is a bolt on without transmission modifications..... What are my options?

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
GM is now using the New Venture transfer cases. These have planetary gear reduction and the new design of chain drives. The 6.0L, 8.2L and Duramax Diesel use either the manual shift NVG-261 or the electronic shift NVG-263. Somebody thinks these are strong transfer cases because they are used behind the big engines and the Allison 5-speed auto tranny. They also mate to the NV4500 and the 4L80E. I believe the smaller engines with the 4L60E use the NVG-246. I reckon the manual shift units will be hard to find.

IIRC there are 4 dash mounted switches for the NVG-263 (2WD, N, 4Hi &4Lo). Wiring should be straightworward, especially if you retain the OEM harness. What I think would be really cool would be to figure out a way to use a multiswitch using the big old lo-range lever on the FJ45 dash:D

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've got a 2000 GMC 2500HD 6.0 4L80E and I believe my electric shift t-case would be the NVG-263

4 buttons is correct, however they are:
4WD auto
2WD
4WD high
4WD low
(in that order, top to bottom)

You push two buttons at the same time for neutral. 4WD auto is a speed-sensing option which keeps power to the rear wheels unless slip is detected, then it transfers to the front.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Medusa said:
This is basically the setup I am going to use in the 45LWB twin of the truggy -- 6.0L Vortec and 4L80e. I am, however, going to use one of the newer elcectronic shift transfer cases with a driver's side output. I am basically looking for the complete drivetrain to drop in. SInce this will be a daily driver and truggy tow truck I figure to just go completely modern:D :D
HURRY UP DUUUDEE :flipoff2:

im busting to see both these rigs done and finished :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts