Pirate 4x4 banner

341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Please put a mount on the back of the 205! I had mounts similar to the ones you have and still broke the trans twice.

Rob

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
Please put a mount on the back of the 205! I had mounts similar to the ones you have and still broke the trans twice.
Rob
Rob, I mounted the trans, Magnum, and 205 exactly how Stephen Watson with ORD advised. I was skeptical too with no mount for the 205 but he swore by it, said all ORD’s rigs running a Magnum are set up the same way with no breakage. We’ll see how it goes I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I broke the first one trail riding up at Gore. The 2nd one broke while bombing across the desert at KOH! taking me out of the race. I swore that would never happen again. I got home and put one on and on my new car I put a mount on the backside before I even had issues. Maybe a fluke but I have heard and seen many broken, that is a lot of weight hanging out there and the leverage it makes on the trans tail housing is real.

I hope you never have a problem, just would hate to have it happen.

With that style mount it pivots at the mounting bolts, giving it more leverage to pull on the tail housing of the trans.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #345 (Edited)
Time to play some catch up over the last few months. I've been busy thrashing on finishing my basement, landscaping the outside of my housing, cooking, axle swapping the FJ45, and started on my son's 4Runner.

Smoked top round marinated in whiskey, garlic, salt & pepper

Brisket & veggies

Basement ceiling, eliminated a register, rehung, and finished part of the ceiling and a couple walls

Built a air/hydro bender cart for my good buddy Bill Griffith

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Built a new work table

Put in some time on my new-to-me beater trailer

Dragged this garbage home for the axles and NP205

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #347 (Edited)
Then finally started swapping axles in the FJ45. D60 w/welded carrier & 4.10s to a shaved late model 14 bolt; ribbed center section, factory disc brakes, 5.13s, Yukon Grizzly, WFO's truss and anti-wrap bar brackets. All new brakes, backing plates, seals, and converted the wheel studs from metric to 9/16"-18TPI.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #348 (Edited)
Also started on building my '89 4Runner for my youngest son. So far we've gutted the truck, prepped to pull the body, narrowed the D60 front from white Dodge W350, prep'd a C&C 14 bolt, and started fabbing the front cross member - winch mount. I'll start a build thread on the 4Runner once we're further along.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Loving the updates.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #350 (Edited)
Update!
-14 bolt swap is done and the test drive went great. Maybe my expectations weren't realistic but I was expecting to feel more of a a difference on the street going from 4.10s to 5.13s.
Going from a welded carrier to the Grizzly is awesome though. The Cruiser handles way better and doesn't drag tires around every turn. Also, the brakes seem fine so I don't think I'll have so swap master cylinders which is a relief.
-Started swapping the front w/a new Artec dual ended ram mount which I rotated up about 2" from before, DIY4X's D60 shock mount/knuckle gusset kit and perch shims, and ORD's spring perch studs. Once I'm all welded out, I'll slap some paint on the housing and sling it back in for good.
-Received Total Metal Innovations' 14 bolt shave kit for the 4Runner's C&C 14 bolt which seems pretty decent out of the box. We'll see how installation goes.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
All welded out and paint curing. Hope to reinstall tonight.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Small victories

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #353 (Edited)
F*ck me it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

Friday 10 July - Have been getting heckled all week by friends for not being done and not making a day wheeling trip scheduled for Saturday 11 July at Rausch Creek
1900 - My son and I decide to pull an all nighter to get done. We recruit our neighbor and close friend who's a hell of pro wrench then get to it.

Saturday 11 July
0330 - Send my son to bed and buddy home since he's supposed to be up in a few hrs to drive to Carlise, PA for Saturday's Mopar swap meet.
0430 - Done. We completely assembled the front axle, assembled the steering, cut the tie rod / knuckle spacers, bolted up the ram, connected the line, assembled the brakes, assembled hubs, bolted on shocks, filled diff, and replaced alternator. Checked radiator level, trans level, steering reservoir. Nut and bolted entire truck. Torqued mostly everything to spec or a WAG. Unloaded crap off the trailer. Started packing truck with spares, tools, gear, cooler, food, water, etc. Fueled up the tow rig.

0600 - Load trailer & strap down Cruiser. Wake kid up and roll out to RC.

0900 - Get to RC, tell my shit talking friends to eat it and to help me bleed front brakes so we can go wheeling.
0930 - Out of the blue, my credit union cancels my debit card due to suspected fraud. Thanks to Steve for spotting me so Noah and I could go wheeling and to the big shit talker himself, John Kelly for cash for fuel to get home.
1700 - Wheeled all day with no issues. Grilled dinner, chilled the f*ck out for the first time in about 24hrs.
Spent the night in the truck because we packed tents but no bags LOL. I had zero motivation to set up tents. Fortunately it was cool out. The boy took the back seat and I crashed out up front. Decision paid off because it poured that night and we stayed dry.

Sunday 12 July - drove home with no issues.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #354 (Edited)
13 - 15 July - Prepp'd for Full Size Take Over @ AOAA schduled for Thurday - Sunday 16 - 19 July. Put some time in on the Cruiser, trailer, and truck either early morning or late since it was so hellaciously hot and humid. Hand dug a massive french drain @ our rental property, played carpenter, etc.

Thurs 16 July - Roll into AOAA, set up camp, made dinner, hung out, went to bed. We were all fancy and brough the tents, a ton of blankets and even sleeping bags this time.
Fri 17 July - Met some new friends, wheeled some awesome trails, crawled some awesome lines and hammered down on a few
Sat 18 July - Things kept going great until they didn't. You all were right - again - and I was wrong - again. I ripped the TH400 case right @ the adapter. We limped it back to camp where I found the case had cracked all the way around the tail housing. I repeat - you all were right - again - and I was wrong - again. I went all old skool Pirate on myself - I drank bleech, ate bowls full of dicks, kicked my self in the balls, voluntarily got ripped off by Wenzel, called ScottFJ40 to get bitched out, - all just to teach myself a lesson.

Sun 19 July
1130 - Shit went to hell in a hand basket. Had two trailer blowout and a flat off RT. 901 then found out the hard way that my trailer runs 5 on 5 but the spare was 5 on 4.5. Fuckin' idiot me suspected the bolt pattern of the spare was wrong when I put the new tires on the trailer a month or so ago but convinced myself otherwise. Well that was really f*ckin' stupid. We limp it back to the Sunoco off RT. 901 - If you're going to be stranded somewhere - that Sunoco is the place. Fresh water hose bib and a 120V duplex receptacle outside. We jacked up the trailer, removed the flats and cut off the mangled fender. Washed up, left the Crusier on the trailer @ the Sunoco and drove back to AOAA, caught up with our wheeling buddies who were on their way out. Grabbed Julian's 5 lug spare, get back to the Sunoco which didn't fit since it was 5 on 4.5.
1600ish - Strike out at the local Tractor Supply. Call local Walmart. Asst. Manager Chris dug out two cheap tires but Walmart Corporate shut down all the tire shops so he can't mount them - all I can do is pay and carry. Keep in mind it's Sunday evening in rural PA - there's nothing else open and I have zero cash. I go to pay and my debit card is declined due to security hold. Can't call the Credit Union - closed Sunday. Try to buy online but no dice. Wife tries to pay online - no dice. We both set up Walmart My Pay which won't work for either of use due to sec holds. Wife detests Walmart but runs up to our local Walmart but can't do a store-store money transfer because the kiosk is closed @ our local Walmart. Wife buys an online gift card but after an hour later, hadn't received an email on my phone with the gift card.
1900 - 2100 Ultimately screwed, we go back to the Sunoco. Fortunately the Cruiser's still in one piece (minus the f*cked trans). We cook the last of our food, throw down some water and miraculously - a local genetleman named Derick showed up and offered to help. My wheeling buddies and I had posted on FB which Derick saw, came by and saved our asses. We agreed that I'd get the tires in the morning (oh yea - the f*cking Walmart gift card email finally came through). which I'd take to him his work - Rolle's Tire - in the morning. My boy's Mom (we're divorced) and my oldest son drove the 3hrs from home and picked a very smoked Noah. I spent the night in my truck, slept on and off, sh*t behind a tractor - good times.

Mon 20 July 0900 - 1630. Got the tires and some food from Walmart, met Derick @ Rolle's. I can't emphasize enough how great Rollie and Derick are - they're good people through and through. I was back on the road by 1300 and home by about 1630. Kissed up to my wife, showered and went to bed. What a weekend. C'Mon UA2020!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #355

When things started going right:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #356 (Edited)
Now that both the Crusier and trailer need some significant $$ and time to get fixed - I'm afraid of Christian Hazel calling about UA2020. It'll be motivating as hell though. I have a side job lined up for later this week and hopefully the wife will really appreciate some naughty favors. I mean, hey - $20 is $20, right!?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
TH400 case carnage

·
Vendor
1,001 Posts
You could move your pucks back behind the magnum mount surface to take the weight of the 205 more directly. That would help some but I suspect it twisted more than bounced. What is your motor mount situation?

·
Vendor
1,001 Posts
What kind of front driveshaft? Any chance it bottomed? Even a remote chance? Does it have a regular slip? I don't think it's square tube but those can be tranny killers. Could the driveshaft have any kind of an extension limit or does it just pull apart? The mounts under the T-case are pretty narrow and will have less resistance to twist from a sticky front driveshaft and your pics show the crack on the passenger side where the push would be concentrated if it was pushing and pulling. The cracking may not be an indicator and I’m looking at 2 pics so don’t take it too far but the driveshaft is a pretty powerful tool.

Your wider motor mount spacing would make the drivetrain a little more liable to have problems from frame twist but the T-case side is narrow enough that I don’t think the chassis could really work on it hard enough to cause problems. Our motor mount bushings are normally right next to the block which makes a few inches difference compared to yours but I don’t think that’s a giant deal. Hmmm, after looking farther, do you have an engine crossmember of any sort? I don’t see anything over the engine or under the engine. Maybe the front of the frame is moving a lot more than we think. Your exo isn’t positioned to do a lot to stiffen the front of the frame. Frame flex could be a thing here.

I’d look at moving the mounts back on your T-case mount system and maybe spreading them a little. That’ll help decrease the weight leverage on the back of the TH400 and give you a little more driveshaft thrust resistance. It’ll go backward a little bit in protecting the drivetrain from frame twist but could be better overall. The pic I sent is in our Convertible K30 and that’s been beat on since 2015 with no problems with the same gen3/4-TH400-Magnum drivetrain you have. Our chassis is a good bit stiffer and the motormount bushings are closer to the block are the main differences overall. Get an engine crossmember system in there, do all you can to tie the frame rails together under the engine and between your shock hoops over the engine. Try to triangulate the shock mounts into the main cage structure somehow too.

341 - 360 of 362 Posts