Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the side grill plate on FJ55s differ. Mine does not look like this. It is solid. Do people just cut the slats in them or did they come from the factory this way?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
slowspeed said:
Why does the side grill plate on FJ55s differ. Mine does not look like this. It is solid. Do people just cut the slats in them or did they come from the factory this way?
isn't that(passanger side) the fresh air intake for the heater/blower? maybe latter 55s get the air from someplace else?

I have never really paid atention, don't even know what it's like on my 78 fj55.

good question

John

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
slowspeed said:
here is a solid plate. Mine is a kalifornia model - 1976
thats the driver side right? now isn't that where the carb cooling fan takes in air?

question, where does your heater suck in air? where does the carb fan suck in air?

your 55 was re-painted at some point, correct?

John H

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
yous ... a pic of the drivers side

the other is the passanger side and you can see the intake behind it .... i bet its the heater inlet ... but i dont know

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think John's right, it's for the heater. I think it's only got cut-outs in the earlier 55s.

I don't know for sure, that's just what I'm guessing.

It makes a nice opening for adding a snorkel. snork snork snork

Morgan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the first pic is of the passenger side, Which is the heater inlet. The second pic is of the driverside which is blocked off from the inside. I bet the since there are right hand drive 55s that the heater intake is swappable. Here is a pic of the block off plate on the driverside. My carb cooling fan is located by the radiator on the driverside.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
so wheres the carb cooling fan intake? your 76 should have one......or did they show up latter(my 78 fj55 has one)

But like on a 60 or 62, yes one vent is blocked off, if right hand drive it would be open and the other closed. But 60/2 also take in fresh air for the heater in the cowl I think.

would seem to me that a latter model fj55(say a 78) would have both vents open, one side for heater, one side for carb fan.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
what the heck is that thing? doesn't look stock.........but maybe it's kalifornia thingy.

Mine on the 78 looks just like a fj40/fj60/62 carb fan.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Landpimp said:
what the heck is that thing? doesn't look stock.........but maybe it's kalifornia thingy.

Mine on the 78 looks just like a fj40/fj60/62 carb fan.
Its CA only as far as I know, and mine did not have any shrouding on the bottom, just wide open fan blades.

Also, my '73 FJ55 has both side louvres slotted... Makes for great fresh air through the little underdash vents.

-Brett

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
slowspeed said:
I wonder if I slotted my plates and removed the driverside block off plate, that it would decrease the temperature in the engine compartment?
I am sure it would, it just might not make a noticable differance to you.

It would allow trapped hot air to escape.

It might keep your heater from blowing as hot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mine is a 69 and has the slotted cutout ones (as shown in the first post). Like Morgan said:

snork snork snork!

On one side is the heater intake, and I can't remember what's on the drivers side

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
my 73 came with solid side plates, my '79 I beleieve had one on the driver's side. The 73 got a bunch of holes drilled init on the passenger side, and a chunk of PVC through the driver's side.

·
Registered
338 Posts
my '76 had a solid plate on both sides... but if you look close, i think the solid plate had spacers so it did not touch the body... the air flows around it to get into the heater fresh air intake.

i think.

of course... now i have a 45LV... heh, so my mind i warped (mostly from banging my head on the low roof)

-B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts