Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at swapping a set of FJ60 axles into my Land Rover, but i have a few questions.

what is the WMS?
perch width?
relative strength?
worth swapping in?
cost of axles?
upgrade (lockers, shafts) costs?

thanks, i searched and couldnt find very good info.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
9V said:
i am looking at swapping a set of FJ60 axles into my Land Rover, but i have a few questions.

what is the WMS?
perch width?
relative strength?
worth swapping in?
cost of axles?
upgrade (lockers, shafts) costs?

thanks, i searched and couldnt find very good info.
Unless you want 3.70 gears, I would say that it is a poor choice.

It is a better choice than a Rover axle, but it has serious flaws.

One-C-Clips suck

Two-only 60" wide

Three-Gear sets are $250 and limited to 5.29 which take a ton of grinding to work

Four-If you break a rear long side axle, they are hard to come by.

Lockers are generally $50-$100 more for Cruiser axles too.

For a light rig like a Sammi, I think they are an AWESOME upgrade, but your Rover is heavy. I would go with an offset D60 rear. They are found in Dodge Vans and they would give you the width you want.

That, or grap a full width D60 or 9" and cut one side down for the offset.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is going under my land rover (3200lbs), not my range rover (5500lbs)

for the trails around here i would like to be just a little bit more than 70" sidewall to sidewall width. the body on my rig is 66" wide.

for now a D60 is way overkill, for my light rig and also since it would rob clearance. i only want to run 35" MTRs for now, and that would give me horrible clearance with the 60. i would run 37s, but my little 4cyl has no power to push tires that big.

i am very open to other siggestions, another thing i have looked at doing is a toy mini truck front axle (damn near bolt in) and then a T100 rearend with 11" hacked off the passenger side.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
OK, 35's and 3200 lb and it will hold up. LTC axles have damn good clearance too. They have as good as my shaved 9"

If you can live with the gears, I think a FJ-60 axle will work fine.

I have one if you want it. I can get it out VIA Forward Air.

Hit me offline.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gears is the only thing that has me worried- my motor will not be able to push 3.70s and 35s, it only makes maybe 85hp. some 4.88s would be sweet, but you said they arent available?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
9V, I think a set of 60 Series axles would be nice, especially if you splurge and get a used FF rear axle from Specter or Manafre.

Gear options are 3.70, 4.11, 4.56, 4.88 and 5.29's. The first two are factory (3.70s from 1981 to 1987, 4.11's from 1987 to 1990), the other three aftermarket. You're looking at about $250ish for aftermarket R&P + install kit.

The ideal (for strength + offroad use) 60 series setup would be an FJ62 front axle (1987-1990, came with a reinforced housing) and a non-USA full floater rear. You won't have to grind at all if you run a FF.

FJ62's came with anti-sway bars front and rear, which can be very nice in a daily driver.

I can't tell you the width of the spring perch offhand but they're very strong, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

Bolt pattern for the axles is 6 on 5.5" which is very common, virtually ever wheel available comes in that pattern, I think you'll find that a welcome change! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts