Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
FJ60's were never available with an electric locker, only cable-actuated lockers and LSD's. You can run an electric locker out of a rear 80 series axle, with some modifications (including converting to FF for the rear)...best thing, they're available directly from Toyota for decent prices.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
There is a thread going right now in the Toyota Mini section that has some websites where they are finding electric lockers for less than $500!!!

Look over there, there is also some guy making homebrew wiring kits.....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Originally posted by wngrog:
<STRONG>There is a thread going right now in the Toyota Mini section that has some websites where they are finding electric lockers for less than $500!!!
</STRONG>
I got a rear FJ80 electric lockind diff in good shape from Drew Persson for $600. He bought a couple pairs of axles from a junkyard in SoCal, got what he needed and sold the rest. I think the trick is to not make a big deal out of the axles so the yard doesn't think they have something special, buy them complete, then sell the pieces.

<STRONG>Look over there, there is also some guy making homebrew wiring kits.....</STRONG>

Phil Pasciak figured out the wiring for the FJ80 locker, and gave me a schematic and a parts list. It was really pretty easy. The parts I needed were:

on-on switch
LED light
fuse (forget the rating)
two dual-circuit relays (forget the rating)
bunch of wire and crimp connectors

I am a maroon, and I wired it up myself. I have been meaning to document it. I will dig out the schematic and put it and a double-checked parts list on a web page.

Only problem I've found is that, with the vehicle's canted over so that one tire is really pinned, the locker would not stay engaged. This was in Little Sluice, recently. I'm trying to figure out what happened and why.

I would convert it to a cable locker with Downey's kit, but it's still not available.

Morgan

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 60seriesguy:
<STRONG>FJ60's were never available with an electric locker, only cable-actuated lockers and LSD's. You can run an electric locker out of a rear 80 series axle, with some modifications (including converting to FF for the rear)...best thing, they're available directly from Toyota for decent prices.</STRONG>
I was told that 60 series in australia had rear electric lockers and a 60 lenth ff in the rear. Auzzi guys is this true? Hey 60seriesguy how much mods are needed to make the 80 series locker work?

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Toyota introduced the electric locker after the 60 series had been replaced with the 80 series, the *only* factory lockers available on the 60 series, in Australia or elsewhere, where the cable lockers.

If you want to run a rear electric locker in a 60 series, you have to source a non-USA full-floater axle (housing and shafts will do) and then do a little bit of fabrication to it. I'm also pretty sure you need the longer-splined short-side axle shaft as well, the same that came in factory cable locker-equipped Land Cruisers.

After that, mount up your electric locker-equipped differential and wire it up with the help of Morgan or Phil or the other guys who've already done it. Remember, if you source the electric lockers in the US, you need the rear differential from a 1993-1997 FZJ80 that came with them, it's a 9.5" ring, which is bigger than the front axle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 60seriesguy:
<STRONG>Toyota introduced the electric locker after the 60 series had been replaced with the 80 series, the *only* factory lockers available on the 60 series, in Australia or elsewhere, where the cable lockers.

If you want to run a rear electric locker in a 60 series, you have to source a non-USA full-floater axle (housing and shafts will do) and then do a little bit of fabrication to it. I'm also pretty sure you need the longer-splined short-side axle shaft as well, the same that came in factory cable locker-equipped Land Cruisers.

After that, mount up your electric locker-equipped differential and wire it up with the help of Morgan or Phil or the other guys who've already done it. Remember, if you source the electric lockers in the US, you need the rear differential from a 1993-1997 FZJ80 that came with them, it's a 9.5" ring, which is bigger than the front axle.</STRONG>
alright I get it, Your the man cool guy!!

thanks

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Yikes this is an old thread. Running the Rubithon this last weekend Travis Winkler blew out his second custom inner axle with his e-locker in his 40. That’s $300 per axle so he is $150 away from paying for an ARB and running what’s avlaible out there. (of course no one had a spare including him) He says he is pulling the e-locker and selling it off before buying another custom inner axle.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.