Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i lifted my fj60 4" alcan spring and 2" longer shackles http://www.mudgod.com/memikefj60vodka.htm
and now i have a question
to get rid of the vibration in hte back i've here that i have a few options : shims, cvjoint or both.
alot of people saying that shims a bad idea becouse of the center pin not reaching the perch.
in my case its no there anyway, cuz i have some kind of a casing that goes over the spring pack with a big ass hole 1 1/2" for a big ass pin. my pin is 1/2", so i thought to make some kind of a steel bushing that would go over the pin and in the perch and romove that casing.
and my question is
would it work?
and how big the shim do i need?
thanks

mike newbie

·
Discount!
4,540 Posts
Use the shims, a CV is not needed for your rig because the drivshaft is plenty long enough. I'd start with the smallest degree shim you can find, a 3 or 4 degree shim. That should fix you up.

Also, you may need to install new U-joints because the old ones even if they feel good are worn at the angle they have been turning for who knows how many years now.

But by all means, try the shims first.

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what im gonna do
thanks alot

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can calculate how much just the 2 inch longer shackles will change the angle. The FJ60 springs are approx 46 inches long, so 2 divided by 46 is: 0.043; this is the sine of the change in angle. The inverse sine of 0.043 is the angle: 2.5 degrees. This would be the best guess for starting shim size.

A better way to do it is just get a magnetic angle finder, remove the drive shaft and measure the angles of the T'case output flange and the 3rd member pinion flange. They should be the same angle, but opposite sign. Shim the rear until they match.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the shim advise
what about the "bushing" idea, what that be good enaugh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts