Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i went to the steel yard today and well... i wanted to make my bumper out of 4x4x1/8 box and wrap it around the bottom to the wheel wells and well i think it would wgh more than the rest of my rig. what did ya"ll make yours out of got any pics got a bender (harber frt cheapy) and i'm going to bend some top wings to protect the sides what do the PBB gods think :D

any help would be apprecidate thanks kling-on

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used 3x5 3/16" rectangular tube on my 60 bumper. Never had any problems with denting or wearing through the bottom. I dragged that thing through many miles of trail in Moab and much of Idaho. Tubing doesn't need to be as thick to get the same strength as flat stock. Mine was far from perfect. I've seen a ton of better designs.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I used 2x6x3/8 tube and welded it right to the frame was perfect for clevis mounting and it looked pritty good too was just the right size the 6 that is was able to weld in 6 spots using the frame and the rear cross member and the tow hitch

click on this link and look you will see the rear bumper pretty clear

smtyblt's rear bumper

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm going to use 3/16 2x6 for my rear on my 60 also. I have everything, except the time to finish it. :D I'm still undecided on a rear hitch though... I may put a receiver all the way through the bumper (where the pin is behind the bumper) or just go with a pintle (bolted through). I am undecided on how I want to do the rocker protection though. I've got pics of every FJ60 rear bumper I've come across to get ideas from though... :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'd like to see all of those pics of fj60 bumpers you have. I'm in the market, but not to build my own. I guess I could always have one fabbed. I'm about to just say fawk it and drop $1300 on a 4+ or 4x4labs piece.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guy nolan i like that manafree bumper but want taller wings to keep that dent in the pic from happenin ... thinkin now of 2x4 at a 45* so it looks like a ramp and wrapin the whole thing with it what do ya"ll think to big should the forward wing be more ... smallish ? and i have heard some guys talkin about trimin the bottom of the body off?? 60seriesguy i think did it right anyone else how hard would that be i can weld up anything out of big $hit but i'm not much on body work any ideas there? smityblt like the look of yours too was thinkin on one like that tappered up on the edges like nolans pic to 2x2 tube forward to wheel well and ending at a 45* above the mud flap what do ya'll think of that one alot easyer to build. and it i left all the sq tube hangin out side the body it would be east to add the wings :D
thanks in advanced for the help just want to pool the think tank before i built some pos bumper i have to cut off

kling-on aka joel

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
With the amount of information already posted, you should be able to make a killer bumper. My one recommendation is that you don't do a single swingout across the whole bumper, make sure swingouts only come to the halfway point. This puts less weight leverage on the pivot points and the bumper itself, and they're a lot more practical when camping.

For a wide variety of clamps, check out the Carr Lane Manufacturing catalog, you can order it online.

One neat thing I've seen lately is the slight angling of the spare tire to match the body line.

Make sure you tie your d-rings or tow points directly to the frame and *through* the bumper, these are some heavy beasts and when they get stuck, they get STUCK!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
King-on asked about my trimmed rear rockers. One of the best mods I ever did, really gave me some clearance back there. Here's a before and after shot of the rocker trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you want to protect the corners, well then:
protect the corners !
These suckas work, lots more lines to chose from...
Virgin trip to the 'con:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Another handy feature (60-inch hi-lift) ... (sorry for the ugly stunt double posing as me)

This is after all the above use (abuse), notice just a little paint and some metal ground off.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i guess lookin at those trimed quarters that you have to do alot more that just cut them off they will leave an opening to the inside if you dont cap them off, right ? ninetimesnine your bumper is what i was talkin about like the way that looks hope you dont mind if i "copy" it some :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sure thing Kling-on. You could make it exactly like mine and I wouldn't care one bit.... I actually looked around at all these guys' bumpers before I made mine and although mine is a bit different, I could never say I wasn't "inspired" by some of their designs. There are a few things I would change now that it has been on for about a year.

1--The non-removable d-rings. Because I can't take them off, they are always bashin' and bangin' against the bumper and wearin' the paint off (might not be as much of a problem if you were to powder-coat instead of paint). Anyway, they are being replaced by other mounts that can take the removable "anchor" shackles.

2- I would have put the rear cross-member a bit farther back--to clear the gas tank a bit more.

3- I would not have welded the sides to the frame which made it non-removable. (The main section is bolted to the frame, but the sides and the hitch tube are welded.) Case-in-point: I recently relocated and have made some new cruiser friends and they are showing me all the good places and there is a place right down the way to get things powder-coated for a price so good that I will be removing my bumper, getting it sand-blasted and powder-coated there and then re-attached--all by bolts!!! P.S. anyone remotely near the cache valley and is debating Powder-Coat needs to contact one of us up here... Right Mixmasta?!?!?! (Oh and we're not affiliated to the place at all--their prices just rock!!!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts